Black Caps on Stag Ships

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by lgu98141, Apr 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have heard a rumour that if a ship is "stag" then the CO can apply for the Ship's Company to wear black caps, like you see in old WW2 films. Does anyone know if this is correct or just a bite that I have fallen for?? Have any ships done this??

2. It's probably a bite, however, as usual, local rules apply. At BRNC if you were a stag division then, when I was there in 2002-3, you could and did go black cap if everyone bought a cover. That was with the blessing of the Cdre and Cdr so there must have been something in the regs given BRNC's usual attitude to (rightly) upholding standards. Quite apart from anything else, Gieves must have still made the damn things as Tom Dent, the college tailor, did a roaring trade in them.

I suppose it has to be stag divisions because Wren officer tricorns don't have cloth covers.

It's frankly a bit exhibitionist though, and I never ccame across them anywhere other than Dartmouth.

3. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

You're telling me that at BRNC in 2002-2003 some Divisions wore black cap covers? Sorry but that is utter cra*.

There is no such rule or regulation, its urban myth writ large.

4. "kinross_special" Says he did it. "wave_dodger" Says it's cr*p. There's only one way to settle this; FIGHT!

5. Did they tell you about it 5 days ago??????? like on the 1st????????

6. You're telling me that at BRNC in 2002-2003 some Divisions wore black cap covers? Sorry but that is utter cra*.

There is no such rule or regulation, its urban myth writ large.[/quote]

In a word, yes.

At least one Cunningham Squadron Senior Div (Starling?)- inhabited by the infamous GW and his pipe smoking, smoking jacket wearing, beard growing acolytes in the January term. Approved by the Commander, went on for several weeks. Then again, Warspite Division (?), St Vincent Sqn, September Term.

Like I said, exhibitionist and silly, but it did happen. It wasn't "one of my mates" that saw it, it was me.

The covers were sold for £10 a go by Tom Dent.