Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black and white 1950s film clasics

jesse

War Hero
Sunday afternoon and pissing down,grey, windy and more November than July. So I passed the time with a trawl through Youtube.I'm a bit of a film buff[They can't get you for it] old and bold and the 1950s was my era and in many ways, music, hairstyle, clothing, I've stuck in a wonderful time warp. Anyway this trawl made me re realise just how many black and white great films were made in that time like ;- The man with the golden arm, Somebody up there likes me, A walk on the wild side, Champion, Ace in the hole, Picnic. Saturday night and Sunday morning came along in the early 60s as did Room at the top, A kind of loving,The L shaped room, and that one with Dora Brian and Rita Tusshingham [spelling?] Cannot recall the title F.F.S. The blackboard jungle, Knock on any door. All these,and the many I'll remember when I've posted,were gritty gutsy hard hitting well scripted and acted and all the more striking for being in black and white. They just do not make em like that any more. Fcuk I've missed From here to eternity. and just remembered the Dora Brian one was a Taste of honey. what are your favorites fron that era?

Rita Tushingham was also in The Knack (1965) but don't forget Expresso Bongo (1959) and Alfie (1966). These gritty films contrasted starkly with the popular sugar-sweet Walt Disney classics of the day featuring Hayley Mills and the epic Hollywood musicals. Mind you, I hadn't long grown out of the ABC Minors (6d every Saturday morning) at the time.

sweetpea

War Hero
Winchester 73 (1950) James Stewart.
Paths of Glory (1957) - Kirk Douglas.
To Hell and Back (1955) - Audie Murphy.
High Noon (1952) - Gary Cooper & Grace Kelly.
Run Silent Run Deep (1958) - Clark Gable & Burt Lancaster.
Brothers in Law (1957) - Terry Thomas & Ian Carmichael.
Witness for the Prosecution (1957) - Charles Laughton. (One of my all time favourite films).

SP.

2badge_mango

War Hero
12 Angry Men, 1957. No scenery, no women, no archive shots, no extras. Ninety two minutes all shot in one room, and a thoroughly gripping film. I watched it for the umpteenth time just a couple of weeks ago and am still able to lose myself in the plot. Vintage Henry Fonda.

2BM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everyone has their "15 minutes of fame".

But Anthony Aloysius St John Hancock (RIP - late of 23 Railway Cuttings, East Cheam) had a whole H-h-h-alf hour.

For the Younkers - In those days 'smut' referred only to those innocent little flecks of carbon, issued widely & liberally throughout the nation by courtesy of British Rail's steam locomotives

These freebies were guaranteed to arrive at your eyeball/white front/stiff white collar long before the destination was ever reached, whether your carriage window was open or shut.

For today's version of smut - See Witsend, and be sure to tell him that I sent you ... :wink:

Jesse,

Not quite the 50's (as it was released in 1960), but Psycho was a black and white classic ...

As far as I can recall no-one was admitted once it had started (in Bedford there were always long queues & packed houses) and one was honour-bound not to reveal the plot. The soundtrack was just as hair-raising as the film itself. Hitchcock at his finest.

Back to the '50s - there were usually two films per session, plus the Pathe Newreels and a cartoon - Then each performance culminated in the National Anthem, for which everyone stood to attention.

It was only later that the end credits lasted almost as long as the film itself, and the imagination ran amok at the role of the 'Dolly Grip'. I suppose they would just be called 'fluffers' these days ...

jesse

War Hero
Rita Tushingham was also in The Knack (1965) but don't forget Expresso Bongo (1959) and Alfie (1966). These gritty films contrasted starkly with the popular sugar-sweet Walt Disney classics of the day featuring Hayley Mills and the epic Hollywood musicals. Mind you, I hadn't long grown out of the ABC Minors (6d every Saturday morning) at the time.
Mention of Expresso Bongo reminds me of another gritty drama of that era, Serious Charge.The vicar was accused of molesting smally boys . A taboo subject forthat time.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Mail: 'History In Black And White: WWI Vessels To Be Repainted In 'Dazzle Camouflage' History 1
BillyNoMates Black & White. Diamond Lil's 34
Guns Black and White photos to colour History 0
M Black and white Chinese people?? The Gash Barge 0
slim Black man Chased by 20 White men Diamond Lil's 5
aberdeenlad You say black, politicians say white Current Affairs 18
higthepig Black Caps/White Caps. Current Affairs 9
MoD_RSS Border Force in Northern Ireland seize more than 2 tonnes of black market tobacco MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Border Force seize 10 million black market cigarettes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister's video message for Black History Month: 1 October 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK exporter shortlisted for the Black British Business Awards MoD News 0
soleil FB: Royal Navy & Royal Marines Charity - Black Tot Day - 50th Anniversary History 11
Dusty70 Black Tot Day 31st July - 50th Anniversary Diamond Lil's 25
MoD_RSS Updated plans for A428 Black Cat and Caxton Gibbet upgrade go on show MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister message on Black Lives Matter MoD News 1
MoD_RSS 50 years since Black Arrow launched the UK into space MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Changes to licensing of the lethal control of herring gull and lesser black-backed gull MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pharmacist sentenced for supplying drugs on the black market MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Counter-poaching troops help with historic Black Rhino move in Malawi MoD News 0
B I'm black guy about to start phrase 1 will i be bullied and experience racism because im black? Joining the Royal Navy 46
slim Anyone should be allowed to 'identify' as black regardless of the colour of their skin or background, say university leaders Current Affairs 16
MoD_RSS Sussex criminal sentenced for laundering proceeds from the sale of black-market medicines MoD News 0
skyvet Black Tot Day 2019 History 23
MoD_RSS News story: London seminar: Overcoming the barriers to change for Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic young offenders MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign Secretary statement on international sanctions in response to Russian aggression in the Black Sea MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK and Romania signal shared commitment to Black Sea security MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Route unveiled for major new road and junction at Black Cat MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Professor Dame Carol Black announced as independent reviewer of drugs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Culture Secretary steps into secure Black Cultural Archives' future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: RAF typhoons investigate Russians over Black Sea MoD News 0
Keithdwat579 Black Royal Navy Officer Cap Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 10
skyvet Black Tot Day Commemorations Diamond Lil's 2
MoD_RSS News story: World War 1 Black Watch hero finally laid to rest MoD News 0
Stevie Dore Anyone with a black belt? Bloody Computers 6
janner RN's Second Black Day. Diamond Lil's 17
Tui Bird Grey or Black screen when downloading a video Bloody Computers 0
B Black Tie? Social & Reunions 6
SONAR-BENDER Black Friday Diamond Lil's 4
sgtpepperband "One shot on the black, mate..." Sports and Adventure Training 1
soleil Pompey News: "When The Boys From The Black Squad Came Up For A Smoke" History 1
soleil Herald: "Royal Marines Complete Exercise Black Alligator In California" The Corps 1
W POLC Black Mountains Route Health & Fitness 3
W Wearing of medals on civilian black tie The Quarterdeck 14
D Black Sabbath - 13 Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 10
SONAR-BENDER Harry Black (or pink, or green, or blue!) maskers! Diamond Lil's 3
Andy_Cap Black testicles Miscellaneous 0
scouse Black cats 2013 The Fleet Air Arm 3
S Thick, black regulator for the showers The Quarterdeck 21
trelawney126 Yvette Cooper and the Black Kettle Diamond Lil's 0
soleil Mail: "Near Miss Or Just Teasing? RN Black Cats Take To The Sky" The Fleet Air Arm 3