Bit of an odd question...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Snowman91, Sep 12, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bit odd, wonder if anyone can help.

My wife and I are moving to Torpoint right round the corner from HMS Raleigh in December, and every now and then I see recruits walking around Plymouth city centre I'm guessing on an x amount of hours day pass from base. If I'm lucky enough to get a day pass, is it strict instructions that I'd only be allowed to go to pre-set destinations? Or would I be allowed to essentially go next door back to my house and spend some time with my wife and daughter?

2. If you're on leave you're on leave. Whether that be for a few hours or a few weeks. Do what you want (lawfully). If it's just night leave, going to London or Glasgow isn't wise, however.

3. Cheers big cheese, wasn't sure if I could only go to specific public places or not. My wife and I are quite happy that leave is private and I can go home to see my girls. Thanks again.

4. No worries- you'll be missing out on trying to trap in Jester's though if you go home to the Mrs. Oh year, I forgot to say, it's mandatory to wear a gash 'Royal Navy' hoody or some such whilst ashore so that everyone knows you're a matelot. Nobody's ever seen a matelot before in Guzz, so it's useful for the locals.

5. Somehow I'll survive not going to Jesters - I went to a dive C103 or C3PO or some shit when I first moved here and it was vile; I think I got tetnus from the seats, and EVERYTHING was sticky.
    Guzz = Plymouth?

6. I seem to recall we got 6 whole hours for our first leave from Raleigh, then 8 hours the following weekend before a staggering 10 hour marathon the week before we passed out.

We spent this time buying shit suits from Top Man that we never wore, eating KFC and not getting served alcohol in Wheelers.

7. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Our one afternoon of leave was binned because of a twat in Pellew getting in a scrap 6 months before.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex-wren. Don't blame me if it all goes tits up.

8. Loved the collective punishments.

[Raleigh dit]

My personal favourite was after a Saturday morning drill sesh. We got tasked with cleaning the rifles and were promised the rest of the day off as soon as we finished. Imagine our excitement at the prospect of a whole afternoon off as the first lad took his gat up to be inspected.

Inevitably he got a rescrub because it had some dirt on. Second lad went up, same thing happened. This continued for a couple of hours until we got back to the beginning again and the first lad went back up.

"Negative shippers, look at all this grease in the breach, just sort that out then we can all go."

And so it continued.

In the end we got away from the drill shed at about 2130.

[/Raleigh dit]

9. If I had any leave time granted I'd just go home, spend time with my wife and child, and maybe a cheeky xbox session.

Collective punishments....yey....