Bit of advice..?

brick26

I am a university student who is graduating this summer and have been intent on joining the TA for quite a while, but have recently been considering the RMR. I have always wanted to join TA Infantry so am just looking for a bit of info. It seems initial training is alot longer and much more demanding but how does the RMR differ to that of a TA infantry reg, training etc. how different is life in general in RMR compared to TA.

I have read RMR web site and read a few threads here.

Just to note I have been in UOTC for two years so do have a bit of experience.

Cheers.

There is no difference other than the fact that you will serve at sea in the RMR. Your better off deciding what you can get out of the reserve services before you make your choice. (look at all the options open to you)

Harry_Masker

Badgeman
pjmliverpool "No difference" have you been in the RMR.

The RMR prides itself on being one of the best reserve forces out there. This is why the training takes so long.

:evil:

miffta

Midshipman
From what i hear theres a HUGE difference.
(please correct me if i'm wrong)
I hear the basic training for the T.A is about 5 Weeks.
The Basic Training for the marines is a lot longer like 12 - 14 months and even then they have more training before they can be operational within a troop.

Also as i believe if you are in the T.A. You are practically forced to be mobilised. Whereas in the RMR they ask for volunteers first.

Lets face it, if you were going to war? who would you want watching your Back? A Reservist Royal Marines Commando. or a T.A Soldier....??

I Know which i'd choose anyday... They aint got the commando status for nothing....

RMR are far suprior to the TA in pretty much every way. But has with everything in this life there's room for them both. Really depends what you want out of the reserves. :wink:

brick26

has only been very recently that I have looked into the RMR. I was thining of 4Para but I will hopefully be working in the north of Scotland so have looked into the RMR up there, in Inverness i think.

What level of commitment is needed for selection and training? I realise most fitness is down to the individual in their own time but I am worried about working shifts etc do many ppl find this a problem?

nutty_bag

War Hero
Harry_Masker said:
pjmliverpool "No difference" have you been in the RMR.

The RMR prides itself on being one of the best reserve forces out there. This is why the training takes so long.

:evil:

"In my day" :lol: the training from start to finish lasted about 15 months. Thats from phase one, through to phase 2 CDO course. Once the green lid is attained you are then put into a kind of phase 3 training whereby your training is continued and further CDO skills are attained such as arctic warfare etc. The difference i have noted these days is that the corps isnt keen on just mobilising whole units, instead, they take the pick of the SQ's that are available to them at the time. Harry correct me if i'm wrong about these points as i've been out a while and am going on other persons information.

NB

brick26

I quite fancy the challenge, the fact that the training is alot harder initially means that you would be better prepared skill wise than a newly qualified TA soldier?

what about attendance? I know that I would be committed enough but what about guys who work shifts and some weekends? is this a major factor?

nutty_bag

War Hero
brick26 said:
I quite fancy the challenge, the fact that the training is alot harder initially means that you would be better prepared skill wise than a newly qualified TA soldier?

what about attendance? I know that I would be committed enough but what about guys who work shifts and some weekends? is this a major factor?

I would say that there is a need for good commitment levels otherwise it isnt really worth doing the course. Coupled with the fact that 90% of your training must be done in your own time adds to the fact that is a big commitment.

NB

brick26

so bascially if your job does not enable you to attend basically every weekend then that would be considered unacceptable lelels of attendance?

nutty_bag

War Hero
brick26 said:
so bascially if your job does not enable you to attend basically every weekend then that would be considered unacceptable lelels of attendance?

Yes, i would say that was indeed the case.

Latest Threads