Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Birds on Boats

Jack77

War Hero
buggerit84 said:
I thought it was because of the pressure changes caused by the diving of the boat rather than the radiation from the reactor that was the problem with said unborn spawn. Hence wenches can't be divers either.

The RAN has had female ships divers since the mid 80s and there have been no reported problems. The only reason CD is not open to them is the extremely high physical standards required and the fact that it is classed as a direct combat role. Although what job on a warship isnt?

BoxKickerSubs

Lantern Swinger
higthepig said:
The way that Submariners are wrapping their hands in, they are going to have to do it very soon.

Your not wrong there shippers. The boys are going out faster than a RA gets his/her (pc mode) civies on at secure.

IB08

Lantern Swinger
How soon do you guys think this will happen? Are we talking within five or ten years or the next couple of years?

IB08

Lantern Swinger
Ahh so you think Cameron (Im presuming he will get in) will be the man to usher it in?

IB08 said:
Ahh so you think Cameron (Im presuming he will get in) will be the man to usher it in?

Not so much that Cameron has any especial thoughts that way rather the present incompetant incumbents will nto do it because to do so would indicate they were wrong before to not allow it. To them it is better to screw things up than admit youmay have made a mistake.

On the other hand new governments can be quite bold in their actions so if there is a growing operational need a new government of any hue may well open the flood gates.

IB08

Lantern Swinger
I see. So was there actually a survey done of female sailors, or is this just unsubstantiated rumour?
I think I speak for the whole of the rest of the nation when I say I agree with you on the state of our government. With Brown its not so much a car crash, but rather a nuclear disaster (if I were to metaphorically describe his time in office).

It will happen eventually (see my 1st post on this thread) and it has got nothing to do with whoever is in charge of the country. I bellieve further funding is required to finance the related studies. We do not have enough male volunteers/ conscripts and the trend is worsening. We need personnel to meet the future requirements of "Trident Bulge II" and therefore female volunteers are the obvious longer term solution. Whether enough are prepared to volunteer is another matter but let's face it, life on a 2 crew (timeshare) SSBN is pretty ritzy and most of the SWS faggots are not real submariners anyway :thumright:

notafourknotfudgepacker said:
It will happen eventually (see my 1st post on this thread) and it has got nothing to do with whoever is in charge of the country. I bellieve further funding is required to finance the related studies. We do not have enough male volunteers/ conscripts and the trend is worsening. We need personnel to meet the future requirements of "Trident Bulge II" and therefore female volunteers are the obvious longer term solution. Whether enough are prepared to volunteer is another matter but let's face it, life on a 2 crew (timeshare) SSBN is pretty ritzy and most of the SWS faggots are not real submariners anyway :thumright:

It is very much to do with who is in charge of the country as it is going to be a major headline action, hence my comment that the next new government is the most likely time if there is an operational need. As ex fighter command I understand you last point well

Tartan_Army_Sailor

Lantern Swinger
IB08 said:
So was there actually a survey done of female sailors, or is this just unsubstantiated rumour?

Yes, females were sent a survey asking their views on it. The ones that I know, I think they all said they would not be in favour of serving on boat's.

IB08

Lantern Swinger
Sounds to me as if its just waiting in the wings for government approval. Incidentally, it was a conservative government that allowed women to go to sea in the first place. (Note: im assuming the next govt will be conservative).

Polto

War Hero
Maxi_77 said:
notafourknotfudgepacker said:

It is very much to do with who is in charge of the country as it is going to be a major headline action, hence my comment that the next new government is the most likely time if there is an operational need. As ex fighter command I understand you last point well

I don't think it has anything to do with 'who is in charge'. It is not a political decision per se, but it will obviously have an effect on the political party that changes the legislation as they will for ever be remembered as 'the party that allowed women to serve on submarines'...

The descision will atract the attention of the press and thus will be political in that it will have to be approved at least by the SoS if not the cabinet. I agree the logic and need will be operational but at the end of the day it will have to be signed of by a poly.

Polto

War Hero
Maxi_77 said:
The descision will atract the attention of the press and thus will be political in that it will have to be approved at least by the SoS if not the cabinet. I agree the logic and need will be operational but at the end of the day it will have to be signed of by a poly.

I think that's just semantics. It'll be done for a military reason, not to make the party look good/bad etc. Pub licensing isn't done for the good of the party but politicians make the decisions. Just like smoking laws. Not a political decision but they had to be passed through the house none the less.

shellbackmac

Lantern Swinger
If we can't hold on to lads why on earth would women be the ferkin solution?!!!

Bearing in mind that only a small percentage of them want to stay in the RN for an extensive surface fleet career, why would life in boats be any different for them? If women can't be persuaded to make a full career out of general service why would submarines suddenly be the solution to their career aspirations and, as if by magic, the manpower situation?

Sorry, women could obviously do the job but for me the idea is a short term PR fix that would leave us even deeper in the sh*te further on down the line.

Still, fully expecting the Dockyard Dandy (a la the first splits at sea phots in 1991) to have have a white sweater wearing, kitbag carrying dolly bird dissapearing down the main access hatch of a T or V boat on its front cover some time soon.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Extension of seabird haven to benefit 15,000 birds MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Avian influenza identified in wild birds in South West of England MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New general licences for the control of wild birds MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Six general licences re-issued for the control of wild birds MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Six general licences reissued for the control of wild birds MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Protect birds when building, says James Brokenshire MoD News 0
trelawney126 Culdrose Matelots upset the Birds The Fleet Air Arm 2
soleil Pueblo Chieftain: "British Birds Put To The Test" The Fleet Air Arm 3
digger84 Posh Telly Birds Diamond Lil's 16
T Man-eating birds existed 500 years ago.... Diamond Lil's 10
F Classy birds Diamond Lil's 46
sgtpepperband Are Birds Stupid? The Quarterdeck 18
Oil_Slick Official! - Pompey birds are the fattest munters in the land Current Affairs 25
Scrumpy Feed the birds Diamond Lil's 10
scouse Black Cat call sign 671 eyes the Liver Birds Monday The Fleet Air Arm 3
shellbackmac Do your birds friends think you are a pervert? Diamond Lil's 19
Shakey Birds! Is your bloke cheating on you? Diamond Lil's 5
Shakey Yorkshire birds are the ideal birds. Diamond Lil's 3
Shakey Daft birds Diamond Lil's 6
D Northern Birds! Diamond Lil's 10
MoD_RSS Fire and Rescue Service Boats report published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defra seeks views on expanding use of monitoring technology on fishing boats MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER Unmanned 'spy' boats...... Current Affairs 15
MoD_RSS First boats set to pass through the new Boston Barrier MoD News 0
W Boats or Ships Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
soleil The Maritime Executive: "How the Royal Navy Searches Boats for Narcotics" The Fleet 6
MoD_RSS Britain and France to strengthen joint action against small boats MoD News 0
janner Collins Class Boats Submariners 1
MoD_RSS Smart boats could revolutionise UK fishing and seafood industries MoD News 0
Wee-lad Stay on the merchant path or go boats Joining the Royal Navy 7
Ageing_Gracefully Real Big Boats Diamond Lil's 4
B Choice of boats Submariners 28
Tui Bird Noisy submerged diesel boats Submariners 10
J GS or Boats. Newbie question from an older guy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
soleil Press & Journal: "Royal Navy Patrol Boats In Tour Of The North" SCC and URNU 0
janner Canadian U Boats. Submariners 7
skyvet A tribute to Astute boats Submariners 10
janner A Boats Submariners 1
eto89 Tide Boats - SE/ME RFA 7
janner Name these Boats Diamond Lil's 16
janner Wooden Boats Diamond Lil's 20
F Boats question ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
J A boats. Submariners 8
B A good time to join boats? Submariners 10
P Been offered ETWE Boats... Need advice! Submariners 22
SONAR-BENDER Lack of Faceache on boats! Submariners 11
bargee1937 Ships Boats of the 1930's and 1940's? History 10
P SIFT interview ship,boats,vessels crib sheets Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
slim Better Than boats in yer Bathtub. Current Affairs 4
Joint_Force_Harrier Woo's On Boats The Fleet Air Arm 14