Binned

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by signalsmum, Apr 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My son is at CTCRM and is being medically discharged for asthma. He had two asthma attacks in February when out in the freezing cold on exercise when he developed a chest infection. Prior to that he hasnt had asthma since he was a child. He is at week 15, loves the job and doesnt want to leave. Getting his green lid is all he has ever wanted.

Does he have any options or right of appeal? All advice welcome.

Thanks

2. check this and related links regarding exercise induced asthma.

NB

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/exercise-induced_asthma/article_em.htm

3. What a shame for your lad having made it to Lympstone, to be honest I would not raise your hopes.

4. That's unlucky, obviously he has worked very hard so it's a shame, but as has been said, don't get your hopes up. I'm sure you can understand that having asthma would be somewhat of a barrier to the job he wants to do.

5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Did his history of childhood asthma not get mentioned in his pre joining medical?

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You do have the right to appeal, but sadly only if you dispute the diagnosis & can prove it is not asthma. The thing we have to be acutely aware of is that people can die from asthma & he is not being discharged as a punishment. The consequences of an asthma attack, whilst in the field without medication, require no further illumination. The rule is clearly 4 years without medication- if you are diagnosed with asthma, you must have the medication.

7. Over here, you have to get a waiver to get in if you've had asthma at any time before going in, and if you get asthma during service, you're out on a medical.

8. Thanks for the responses and for the job you are doing. It's appreciated.

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Only sorry we couldn't give a more positive prognosis. Assuming your son is relatively young (teens), my understanding from the medical experts (of which I am most definitely not) is that he could still "grow out of it". Hope he does & comes back in a few years- to get to week 15 is no mean feat in itself.