Bill Stone RIP

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Asst_Ed, Jan 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sad news. I've just heard Bill Stone, HMS Hood veteran, has passed away aged 108, which leaves just Henry Allingham of the WW1 RN veterans left.

I had the honour of meeting Bill a couple of years ago at a function. He was as bright as a button and sang a ditty from his RN days which I simply couldn't print in our pages. A really, really nice guy with a sparkle in his eye. Rest in peace, Bill.
  2. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

3. Very sad time. May he Rest in Peace.

My deepest respects!

He's gone on his final deployment
  4. An excellent role model.

Rest in Peace
  5. RIP, a fine man. My condolences to all he knew him personally.
  6. sad news, i saw him at the cenotaph back in november and he looked the fittest of the 3 old vet's, he was singing all the hymns and looked well. RIP Bill
  7. A fine man RIP.
  8. One of this countries real heroes, the likes of which we will never see again.

RIP Bill
  9. Read his RN history on the links --fascinating a real old time Chief Stoker
    aswell .

Rest in peace Bill

:nemo: :nemo:
  10. RIP Bill. I'm a member of the Hood Association (my Dad served from 37-39) A lovely man. Bill served on the Hood in the 1920s.
    The last time I saw him was at Ted Briggs funeral in September (and on tv at the Cenotaph).
  11. I've just read about him from them links.

12. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Bumped to include a link to the D Telegraph's front page writeup:

To understand his MiD, Newfoundland was bombarding off the beaches of Sicily when she was hit right aft by a torpedo which took off her rudder. From Gibraltar she was taken right across the Atlantic to the US for repair, steering by main enegines, assisted by a wire trailed from the forecastle to try and stop her paying up into wind. The black gang down below must have had a tricky time with revolutions constantly changing, and damage to one of the starboard shafts (which was never completely cured - it produced excessive vibration for the rest of her career). Towards the end of the trip there were plans to rig the forward awning as a sail but this was not in the end done. Leadership from the Chief Stoker must have been key to the whole thing, especially as having being torpedoed must be extra worrying for those who are going to be down below next time it happens and many would have been young HOs. The whole evolution was written up in the Navigator's Data Book in great detail and one does wonder what happened to that in 1959 when the ship paid off for full due. Newfoundland later took part in the bombardment of Okinawa, the Jap surrender and Suez; her landing party were the first Britons ashore in Nippon in 1945 (apart from the luckless PoWs) and when one of the trusty Jack Tars shot a dog there was a worry that it would all kick off again.

But I'm getting off thread. I have yet to see a photo of this man where he isn't wearing a very cheery grin. Heart of Oak.