Biggest ship confusion!

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by fishflakes, Sep 2, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, just a quick question concerning the Royal Navy's biggest ship. On the royal navy website it says that HMS Ocean is "Britain's biggest warship", and it seems the media thinks the same in various articles. In terms of length, displacement and crew complement however, HMS Illustrious is the larger ship.

So why is HMS Ocean seen as the largest ship?

Thanks!

2. Beam and draught lengths maybe?

3. Might be a bit of forward thinking ???? As Lusty wont be in service in 2014!!! Just leaving the mighty Ocean as our only flat top :angry3:

4. Nah. For some reason they've always touted Ocean as the biggest even when we had 3 carriers to our name. Not sure why.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

5. Hmm, very strange,

Ocean's beam is a mighty 10cm longer than Illustrious, so no real difference there. Illustrious's draught is bigger.

As for the forward thinking, I've seen news articles (which I assume do some kind of basic research- so I assume they checked the royal navy website) from 2011 which states Ocean is the largest. Bit premature for that?

Just one of those things maybe...

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Maybe it's measured by volume rather than displacement (the more traditional measure)?

Then again, the RN website has hosted a few howlers over the years, so although it's supposed to be the definitive reference source it's about as reliable as any other website when you consider the amount of data it hosts, particularly the way matelots have a tendency to extract the michael and exaggerate, ever so slightly about the ship on which they serve.

My local paper proudly announced that the visiting Type 45 destroyer could track and shoot down a tennis ball travelling at three times the speed of light. That's the trouble with interviewing a matelot in a pub, I s'pose.

7. Surely the oceans the biggest thing on the planet?

8. I was always under the impression that the Massive was, is and always will be the biggest, longest, widest, fastest and best armed ship in the fleet.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ninja_Stoker

I'm still puzzled why a warship would want to shoot down a tennis ball at warp speed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Reckon I can trump that with a soggy leather football, square in the face, mach 2, on a freezing cold, blustery winters day during double PE, first thing on a gloomy Monday morning, mid-1970's in an inner city comprehensive school.

Now THAT needed a multiple broadside surface to surface, sea-launched missile volley, targeting the ball, the kicker and the PE teacher simultaneously.

11. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

The information in my office states that although Lusty is indeed longer and wider, Ocean displaces 500 more tonnes.