Big strong and fit people needed

I am currently in training for the AIB- both mentally and physically. I have got the mental side covered I hope!
I am however hoping that some burley rugged man, preferably handsome, would be able to give me some advice on the best way to increase my fitness levels in 8 weeks.
Am I being unrealistic on how much I can achieve in only 2 months??
I am currently hitting 8ish on the multi-stage fitness test but would like to make sure I get comfortably into the nines.
I have a gym membership BUT find that no matter how long I run on the treadmill as soon as I do any road running the prep seems to have been fruitless.
Any suggestions on the best way to increase your VO2 max?? I was told that the best way is to drop some weight!

Thanks
Laura

Lol, what does handsome have to do with advice?

You're not gonna see the face of the bloke who replies! lol

Anyway - Not that I'm a fitness expert, but HIIT is a good way to get you super-fit. Especially on roads that tend to go up and down instead of straight!

I must say your initial 'Big' photo was much better than the shrunken down one you've now edited in... now you can barely see it! :wink:

persona_non_grata

Lantern Swinger
Laura,

A training programme can be found on the BRNC website in the Pre-joining info section, if you haven't already tried it it's at: BRNC pre-joining fitness programme.
Alternatively try and get your hands on a book similar to this.

Aside from that I find climbing to be quite a good way on building up stamina and general fitness, plus I would suggest running on the roads to be better than running on the treadmill (just not all the time).

Otherwise, have a look on ARRSE; plenty of threads all over the place there, though there may be something useful in the Booty sections of RR.
Can't really properly suggest any more as I'm not doing anything like that yet.

PNG

creddly said:
Lol, what does handsome have to do with advice?

You're not gonna see the face of the bloke who replies! lol

not really serious about the handsome part... but i will say that every girl is partial to a handsome man. I was not however advertising for a potential partner.

xx thanks for the advice guys

You'll be amazed what you can achieve in two months. I was damned ill a few years back, and lost a lot of weight and CV fitness through it. Within 8 weeks I was pretty much back to the standard I wanted, all scheduled around a full time job.

First off, get your feet looked at by a proper running shop, and get Trainers to suit your foot type and running style. They will have you do a run strike onto a pad to sort out what type you are, and the difference it makes to your road run ability is massive.

Next up, get yourself some Celafen capsules. Take 800mg per day. Your young, granted, but your going to do a lot of high joint impact training, so you need something that will protect and build the joints back up if damaged. You cant afford the time for injury recovery.

Lastly, aim to train twice, moving to 3 times per day. Start off with road bashing first thing in the morning and last thing at night, and watch your diet. After about 3 weeks of this, you'll be settled in far enough to do some light weight training at lunchtimes. I used to do boxing type circuits for 40 mins at lunchtime, and they really help get your muscles prepped for building themselves up again.

After about 6 weeks, start running with a backpack. It doesn't just help with the fitness, but gets the skin on your upper body used to some slight chaffing/irritation.

Do the usual; eat well, cut back on alcohol for a while, no fast food crap is a must, and in 4 weeks you'll feel great, and be amazed at your fitness levels.

You'll murder anything the RN can throw at you if you go for it before you join.

Good luck

lauralovestodig said:
I was not however advertising for a potential partner.
That's very good news - Because that's the last thing you want if you're entering the Navy IMO. That's why I'm staying single - Things tend to get complicated when there are ties at home! :?

lauralovestodig said:
not really serious about the handsome part... but i will say that every girl is partial to a handsome man.
Well I suppose my face which was carved by Angels, will be wasted when I devote myself to the Navy and live a single life - I wonder if I can donate it to someone not-so-fortunate in the looks department before I enter... it can be put to good use then! :p

noemis

Lantern Swinger
Do they do a fitness test at the AIB now?

Lots of good advice here, especially about the trainers, don't just put any old pair on!

All the piccies are good, ever thought of coming down to HMS Sherwood? Don't wish to appear keen or nowt but drill nights are on a Tuesday and I know plenty of Sherwood matelots who would give you a ride, I mean lift!!

Please accept the last with your tougne firmly planted in your cheek!

Oh God, I'm just digging a big hole here!!

Bye

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Big broadband boost for rural English shires and counties MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Big step forward in digital infrastructure revolution brings benefits of 5G closer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK and Welsh governments team up on big broadband boost for rural Wales MoD News 0
BIG_EATS Big Wilf The Quarterdeck 12
MoD_RSS NDA group enjoys a big WiN at awards ceremony MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Passengers to plan journeys down to the minute as big data revitalises country’s bus use MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rural Crime Week proves a big success across Tees Valley MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK to take a big ‘STEP’ to fusion electricity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Science superstars and small businesses could bring the next big innovations to market with £100 million boost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Spending Round gives big boost to local communities MoD News 0
E The big wait Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS Press release: Big wins for British businesses as Vice Premier Hu Chunhua visits MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Big wins for British businesses as Vice Premier Hu Chunhua visits MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Big boost for tiny tech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Dr Liam Fox: Big dreams drive small business to take on the world MoD News 0
Maxpowers MASSIVE BIG GIANT ISSUE (NOT) Joining the Royal Navy 38
MoD_RSS Press release: Big changes to motorway upgrades set to improve drivers’ journeys MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Nuclear employees WiN big at national diversity conference MoD News 0
Ageing_Gracefully Real Big Boats Diamond Lil's 4
soleil Economist: "Rum, Strategy & The Cash - Britain's RN Has Big Ambitions, But A Small Budget" Current Affairs 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp The Big Five-Oh for Fazzers Submariners 4
slim Big Issue Seller News Current Affairs 1
vauxhall Big changes ahead? Finance & Pensions 2
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Minister visits small Ipswich company which has played big part in... MoD News 0
Stirlin Big is not always best. Sports and Adventure Training 5
G Big help with interview tomorrow Submariners 11
BillyNoMates Big white ships. International 6
MoD_RSS News story: Trustworthiness of information from big data sets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Timeline visualisation for provenance-based big data sensemaking MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Knowledge based autonomous big data validation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Hypothesis generation and visualisation from big data MoD News 0
G How big are the classes for Prnc and raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
B Big guns turn fire on No10 The Quarterdeck 41
Guns How big is the T45??? The Fleet 10
Sumo Olympics 2016 the next big event Sports and Adventure Training 8
MoD_RSS Press release: Winners of £2 million autonomy and big data funding announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: CDE themed competition webinar: autonomy and big data for defence MoD News 0
mitch in the north BIG EATS!! Diamond Lil's 29
MoD_RSS News story: CDE themed competition webinar: open-source big data insight MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Easing big-data information overload and precision navigation MoD News 0
babygravy Big BAE announcement next week Current Affairs 17
Guzzler That 'big' pay rise Finance & Pensions 11
slim The Big Issue........Helping or Hurting Diamond Lil's 12
Seadog Bob Crow Has Gone to the Big Picket Line in the Sky Current Affairs 46
sgtpepperband 28 Things That People With Big Boobs Can Simply Never Do Diamond Lil's 21
Woody2654 A big cuddly Bear The Corps 0
soleil Channel 5: "Big, Bigger, Biggest" - Thursday, Oct 10th 2013 - 1900 Submariners 3
soleil SSAFA - The Big Brew Up - 7-13 October 2013 - Come on, Join In! Charity 0
S MoD must embrace big data to maintain international standing MoD News 10
SONAR-BENDER The big bang! Current Affairs 3