big ship yesterday at Greenwich

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by golden_rivet, Sep 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Had a lovely afternoon yesterday sitting at the top of the hill looking down on the Naval College and the river at Greenwich. Anyone any idea what the massive ship moored there is/was?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Nope, but the QE2 was in Liverpool earlier this week & what a magnificent sight the 40 year- old lady is.

I parked my car at the Pier Head , as usual, & was walking into work, you couldn't help but see her & even at 07:30 in the morning there was literally hundreds of people there in the pouring rain.

The first time I saw her was enroute to the Falklands in 1982 & no-one particularly wanted to be in her company as she was such a huge target.

The last time I saw her was in the Mediterranean on HMS Boxer, late 80's - we tried to do a Steam-past (salute) but had to ask her to slow down so as we could overtake!

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

"The World" cruise liner, departed at 2111 on 22 Sep 07, bound for Rouen, France. [Source: Port of London Authority: Ship Departures]

Listed as the world's largest private yacht - a floating residential community owned by her residents. The residents, currently from 40 different countries, live on board as the ship slowly circumnavigates the globe - staying in most ports from 2 to 5 days. Some residents live on board full time while others visit their floating home periodically throughout the year.

"The World" Official website

4. Can't be much fun during a refit though? Dockyard matey's with their arses hanging out all over the place is going to spoil the ambience somewhat..

5. hmm - don't know - sounds rather nice to me ... :bball:

6. it's beautiful - or it was until I knew what it was at least - now it seems a bit creepy - :pukel: