Big reserve forces cuts inbound

trehorn

War Hero
Old_Tyke said:
well whats going on? Ceres is growing and then you get this 'reserve forces face cuts' thing....whats going on? Joined up government thinking????

I wouldn't say we're growing. We are just no longer going to be administered by HMS SHERWOOD as of April 1st.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Reservist Monkey has had some PM's from concerned indivduals who believe my earlier post has breached OPSEC. Just to relieve a few furrowed brows, all the material is available on the Army web.

Actually English Heritage have just published a "great" book about the UK Communictations system that was implemented during the cold war - very interesting read, if you're that way inclined and has a few people twitching.

http://www.army.mod.uk/royalsignals/equipment/digital.html#PTARMIGAN

http://www.army.mod.uk/royalsignals/uk.htm

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Agree with WD there, the mods have gone WAY overboard in their demands for OPSEC on this issue.

Knowledge of 2 NC Sig Bde set up is totally open source, and is quoted in JDP2-02 among other documents, all of which are in the public domain and available for anyone to download. I am all for sensible opsec procedures when appropriate, but this is a step too far and frankly a total overreaction which is innapropriate. Yes there are certain things linked to 2NC that should not be discussed, but having looked at WD´s post, I am struggling to spot them (and I say this as someone with more than a passing professional interest in 2NC Bdes work).

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
I did look at what WD said, and I note that his deleted areas refer to capabilities that are public knowledge. I also note that his hugely scathing attack on the Mods request to edit has now been edited since this afternoon - how convenient!

Sorry to seem cyncial, and I´m usually one for observing PERSEC / OPSEC requests, but this one just seems silly.

PT

Always interested to hear comments. I did request that the post be edited but have not edited anything on this thread nor have I asked for the edits of any further posts.

The decision to make this request was mine and not any other mod, so the 'mods' requested nothing, it was just me.

Assorted comms systems are not my area of expertise so am happy to stand corrected. That said I have seen OPSEC/PERSEC breaches both here and on other sites and would always be inclined to act first as I sure you would too in my position. While I would love to have the time to research each potential breach, I am sure you would agree that real life has a habit of getting in the way.

I'm happy to take any PMs on the subject.

Many thanks
RM

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
I edited my original post and submitted a further explanatory note because I received this from RM :

"I've been messaged about some of the content of your post 17 1610A Mar 08 wrt technical nature of the content. It seems fair comment, I don't feel the need to heavily-handed bugger about with the post but could you edit the details of Ptarmigan etc just to reduce any potential OPSEC issues."

I have subsequently edited the comments because they had been made, everyone who read the post understood my point - which wasn't aimed at the MODS in the slightest.

WD

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Fair enough RM - but I think this is a case where old salts who knew this stuff when it was new in the 1980's are overreacting. As I said, I deal a lot with 2NC and saw nothing on the orginal post to get my Spidey senses tingling...

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
PT, I think you are being far too kind. There are just so many people on RR that are out of touch, have no real clue about Sy (of all the varieties) and just want to feel as though they are contributing. Again, not aimed at the MODS.

RR should be renamed the Mess Square................ :thumright:

Off to gorge myself on the kids Easter eggs.

Latest Threads