Big new Red boat

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by SONAR-BENDER, Jan 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It seems to have a square propulsor :shock:

2. When is it getting beached so we can take a look at that propulsor?

3. About 6 months into the sea trials is the accepted time scale

4. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Perhaps that nappy it is wearing is hiding kit for a towed array sonar? I notice the rudder is placed forward and well clear.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Looks black to me.

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
  7. Its Red October..............'take ush down, Mr Petrov'......the only Soviet Sub Commander with a Scottish accent.

• Like Like x 1
  8. crazy ivan!

9. Cracking movie that........I've only been in submarine once.....when I was a baby bunting.....I spent a day under the waves on Orpheus.....back in the day. I was told it was part of my training.....although I failed to see the relevence.....as they didn't have a flagdeck.

10. As an ex-slumberiner, my missues loves watching that film with me, despite Mr Connery's "Let them Shing", unconvincing rusky.

I'd be telling her "That's not right!" and "That's rubbish!" and "Range 300 fu***ng yards??? 5 Miles would be considered 'close'".

Yeah - she really loves watching that with me.

Love those 'O' boats. I was on nuke's but I did help refurbish inside the tubes on H.M.S. Onyx once using a pneumatic paint/rust remover tool (the multi-pin type). Talk about noisy! H & S would have kittens about that nowadays.

11. Whereas an English accent would have sounded authentically Russian of course.

12. True English is of course, accentless. But something like a Bolton accent or Scouse wouldn't have been any better, although perhaps more interesting!

13. Of course it isn't, with the possible exception of others who speak 'true English' whatever that is. I would imagine someone from Chicago or Adelaide would detect an accent in 'true English'.

*sarcasm mode in temporary suspension* I understand that it easier for a Scot to speak Russian than an English accented speaker due to the 'rolling of the R's' (amongst other things within the accent). May be crap of course, but with my limited understanding of Russian it does ring true to me. *sarcasm mode resumed*

14. TRUE!! And any other language with rolling Rs or words with a ch as in loch. Spanish for example! A Spanish 'J' is a Scottish 'ch'.

Every day a schoolday heh?

• Like Like x 1
  15. At least Sam Neil made the effort..................A kiwi with a Russian accent..........as for rolling of the R's......it's just the way you walk, Guzzler.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Russian is just English backwards.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Actually, I think you'll find Russian is Naissur backwards ;)