Big guns turn fire on No10

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Billy Q, May 25, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Admirals Lane-Nott, Heaslip, Jenkin, Blackham together with Generals Thompson, Riley, Rose, Hunt and Vaux assert that" Our forces would be stronger outside EU".

Just MLP , our one-time Armchair WAFU Warrior-now defending us elswhere-thinks otherwise.

Wonder who's right and knows best?

2. :( That was disappointing.
    The thread title had me hoping HMS Belfast had lobbed a couple of salvoes at downing Street :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'm voting MLP.

4. Why should we believe them any more than anyone else? For example, much as I admire the man, Julian Thompson has been retired for 30 years.
    I'm with Ninja :)

5. Try this.

6.45pm for 7pm
    Leaving the EU The spark we need to re-energise our nation

With the Speakers:-

[​IMG]
    The Rt Hon. Lord Owen
    SDP Founder and former Foreign Secretary.

Lord Owen said leaving "could be the spark we need to re-energise our nation: a challenge and an opportunity".

[​IMG]
    Andrew Rosindell MP
    Member of Parliament for Romford.

Andrew will discuss the constitutional implications of the EU, and the effect of leaving on our economy and foreign policy.

[​IMG]
    & David Nuttall MP
    Chairman of the Parliamentary Better Off Out group.

David Nuttall will talk on The UK and the EU - the future.

ADMISSION:
    £10 payable on the door or in advance
    Including wine, orange juice, mineral water and nibbles

To purchase your ticket visit:
    www.brugesgroup.com/events
    Or call Robert Oulds on 020 7287 4414
    or reply to this e-mail

Alternatively, click here for a form to book your place

AGENDA:
    Lectures: 7pm – 8pm
    Discussion: 8pm – 8.30pm
    Wine and refreshments: 8.30pm – 10pm

Princess Alexandra Hall, Royal Over-Seas League
    Over-Seas House, 6 Park Place, St James’s Street
    London SW1A 1LR

[​IMG]

6. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Old, retired out of touch versus those with not just finger on the pulse, but an actual pulse too. I know what I'm voting for...

• Like Like x 1
  7. What has that got to do with your OP?

I'm getting tired of asking that question.

8. A quote from a Sky news editorial:
    'But as with everything in the referendum debate, it's easy to use the same facts to present different arguments.'
    No more needs to be said really.

Not sure why this needs it's own thread as there is one already running on this topic.

9. Me.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Even better, HMS Duncan is only 7.4 km away right now.
    A feedring full of HE, boom, job done :D

Oh, hang on. Gunex postponed, Cameron's in Japan - just out of range :oops:

• Like Like x 1
  11. And how long with your up-to-date wisdom have you been retired. If you're still serving--your days will shortly be ending.

12. My wife tells me that at a wardroom "do" she attended at Culdrose a few years back
    MLP wasn't mentioned approvingly
    Yet he was an important Helicopter something or other Controller. Those overweight Li-Lo
    "Floaters" had much to thank him for sending a fantastically expensive Chopper from Culdrose with an equally expensive crew out to rescue them --- him or her

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2016
  13. Of course.

My internet pseudonym is always a hot topic of conversation at these functions. I believe it's often an agenda point for the ADS.

It must have been a pair of decades ago too, seeing that 'Helicopter Controllers' became defunct in the early 90's.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  14. What's your point?

15. Which is why we must keep Trident.....o_O

16. Of course many of these sprogs will have no idea what it was like before we joined the EU......bless em and they are scared that our proud nation cannot stand on its own feet, well it has and can again ye of little faith, why do you doubt?

17. I found a slight antedating of the "baby" sense ofsprogin a New Zealand newspaper (Evening Post, Volume CXXXVIII, Issue 121, 18 November 1944, Page 6) that also shows the naval "new recruit" sense:

[​IMG]
    Been in the P/T navy for a couple of Dog Watches? P/T Purple Twiglet?
    Well at least for the First part of the Dog Watch. --Though that's debateable.

• Braindead Braindead x 1
  18. Where does it say P\T Navy in that article, and out of interest, how long did you serve Billy Q?

19. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Long enough to say that he thought that Noah was a bit of a sprog...

20. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

They've made assertions not backed up by any evidence! We can all do that from the safety of our retirements.

So lets think about this, Op SOPHIA currently running in the Med who is leading that....Ah, EUNAVFOR. Lets think about piracy in the Indian Ocean, who ran that...ah, EUNAVFOR. To my mind there is a pattern here.

Did we worry about lack of sovereign control? Did the nasty Germans and French try to steal our ships? No

So we can see some positive evidence to work within an EU construct, what are the reasons not to?