Big Dees funeral. Hoofing turn out

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by theGimpMK2, Mar 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Attended the big mans funeral yesterday, a massive attendance. From sprogs to the old and bold and a lot of sniffing and dust in eyes.

The booze up after was a real joy, with the barstaff overwhelmed for the entire day. The Plymouth rugby boys stole the show and made many lips wobble at the wake with an impromtu sing song.

There were blokes in rig on crutches and a man with balls of steel, a young marine in a wheelchair with only one arm left who was blagging through the bar crowds on a sympathy vote LOL

A sad but memorable day

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/dis...tentPK=20072468&folderPk=78031&pNodeId=133174

2. There was a brief shot of the funeral on the ten o clock news last night following a report on 40 CDO in ghanners fighting a losing battle against the opium problem.

Even in my rather inebriated state i managed to stand up out of respect for this brave hero!!

RIP again Royal and stand easy

3. RIP RM.

Foreign and Commonwealth Office
    Afghanistan: Drugs
    Mr. Ellwood: To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs how many personnel are involved in poppy crop eradication and diversification in Helmand Province; and what their targets are for 2007. Dr. Howells: Poppy eradication in Helmand Province is performed by Afghans in the Poppy Eradication Force (PEF) and in the Governor Led Eradication (GLE) forces. There are approximately 615 personnel in the PEF. Governor Wafa has not confirmed how many personnel he will commit to the GLE force this year.
    UK personnel do not conduct eradication, but do provide support to the planning and targeting work. Implementation of eradication is the responsibility of the Afghan Government. No eradication targets have been set for Helmand for 2008.
    The Government’s main involvement in livelihoods diversification in Helmand is through the Department for International Development (DFID)—funded Helmand Agriculture and Rural Development Programme (HARDP). This is a three-year programme designed to increase the economic opportunities for rural poor people in Helmand, including those that make a living from growing poppy. Activities include construction of rural roads, wells and latrines; provision of legal credit; support for small-scale community development projects; and agricultural support. The overall target for the programme is to deliver improved livelihood opportunities for 590,000 people by the end of the third year.
    HARDP is managed by the four-person DFID Livelihoods team based in Kabul. Additional programme support is provided by the three-person DFID Helmand team which is split between Kabul and Lashkar Gah. However, actual implementation is carried out by the Ministry for Rural Rehabilitation and Development (MRRD), and by a number of non-governmental organisations working under the auspices of MRRD and the Ministry for Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock.
    Additional livelihoods diversification activities are provided through the Government’s programme of Quick Impact Projects, which is managed by two staff members based in Lashkar Gah.
    Mr. MacDougall: To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs what steps the Government are taking to end the illegal drugs trade in Afghanistan; and if he will make a statement.
    Dr. Howells: As Afghanistan's G8 "partner nation" on counter narcotics, the UK is helping the Afghan Government to improve the implementation of their National Drug Control Strategy, spending £290 million over three years on counter narcotics measures.
    In August, my right and noble Friend the Minister for Africa, Asia and the UN, Lord Malloch-Brown, announced the UK's new package of activities, aimed at tackling the drugs trade in Afghanistan. This includes:
    enhanced interdiction, to disrupt the operations of influential traffickers and weaken their links to the insurgency. We will be allocating an additional £22.5 million for the Afghan interdiction forces;
    greater focus on military support to counter narcotics. We will be working with the International Security Assistance Force to do more to maximise military support for counter narcotics operations within the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation rules of engagement;
    more support for counter narcotics criminal justice. The UK announced an extra £2 million at the Rome Rule of Law Conference in June;

better eradication. Afghan eradication forces need to improve. We will be working with the United States to assist them;

expanding the Good Performers Initiative to provide an incentive for governors to reduce cultivation in their provinces. We will be putting in £3.3 million; and

an extensive Afghan Government information campaign designed to convince farmers not to plant poppy. This is currently under way.

4. I thought I was having the shittiest day for a long time, until I read this, and now I feel ashamed of those feelings. I feel so powerless to put into words how I feel about those blokes, and I am sure my best wishes are wholly inadequate. But I know I am not alone in wishing them a speedy recovery in body and in mind.

5. Good post and well said Rosie.

6. long bump, just read this again.

Cheeky ****** with one limb in a chair has just finished running across the USA

Mad ******