Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Dees funeral. Hoofing turn out

theGimpMK2

Lantern Swinger
Attended the big mans funeral yesterday, a massive attendance. From sprogs to the old and bold and a lot of sniffing and dust in eyes.

The booze up after was a real joy, with the barstaff overwhelmed for the entire day. The Plymouth rugby boys stole the show and made many lips wobble at the wake with an impromtu sing song.

There were blokes in rig on crutches and a man with balls of steel, a young marine in a wheelchair with only one arm left who was blagging through the bar crowds on a sympathy vote LOL

A sad but memorable day

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/dis...tentPK=20072468&folderPk=78031&pNodeId=133174

There was a brief shot of the funeral on the ten o clock news last night following a report on 40 CDO in ghanners fighting a losing battle against the opium problem.

Even in my rather inebriated state i managed to stand up out of respect for this brave hero!!

RIP again Royal and stand easy

BillyNoMates

War Hero
ex_rubberdagger said:
There was a brief shot of the funeral on the ten o clock news last night following a report on 40 CDO in ghanners fighting a losing battle against the opium problem.

Even in my rather inebriated state i managed to stand up out of respect for this brave hero!!

RIP again Royal and stand easy

RIP RM.

Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Afghanistan: Drugs
Mr. Ellwood: To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs how many personnel are involved in poppy crop eradication and diversification in Helmand Province; and what their targets are for 2007. Dr. Howells: Poppy eradication in Helmand Province is performed by Afghans in the Poppy Eradication Force (PEF) and in the Governor Led Eradication (GLE) forces. There are approximately 615 personnel in the PEF. Governor Wafa has not confirmed how many personnel he will commit to the GLE force this year.
UK personnel do not conduct eradication, but do provide support to the planning and targeting work. Implementation of eradication is the responsibility of the Afghan Government. No eradication targets have been set for Helmand for 2008.
The Government’s main involvement in livelihoods diversification in Helmand is through the Department for International Development (DFID)—funded Helmand Agriculture and Rural Development Programme (HARDP). This is a three-year programme designed to increase the economic opportunities for rural poor people in Helmand, including those that make a living from growing poppy. Activities include construction of rural roads, wells and latrines; provision of legal credit; support for small-scale community development projects; and agricultural support. The overall target for the programme is to deliver improved livelihood opportunities for 590,000 people by the end of the third year.
HARDP is managed by the four-person DFID Livelihoods team based in Kabul. Additional programme support is provided by the three-person DFID Helmand team which is split between Kabul and Lashkar Gah. However, actual implementation is carried out by the Ministry for Rural Rehabilitation and Development (MRRD), and by a number of non-governmental organisations working under the auspices of MRRD and the Ministry for Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock.
Additional livelihoods diversification activities are provided through the Government’s programme of Quick Impact Projects, which is managed by two staff members based in Lashkar Gah.
Mr. MacDougall: To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs what steps the Government are taking to end the illegal drugs trade in Afghanistan; and if he will make a statement.
Dr. Howells: As Afghanistan's G8 "partner nation" on counter narcotics, the UK is helping the Afghan Government to improve the implementation of their National Drug Control Strategy, spending £290 million over three years on counter narcotics measures.
In August, my right and noble Friend the Minister for Africa, Asia and the UN, Lord Malloch-Brown, announced the UK's new package of activities, aimed at tackling the drugs trade in Afghanistan. This includes:
enhanced interdiction, to disrupt the operations of influential traffickers and weaken their links to the insurgency. We will be allocating an additional £22.5 million for the Afghan interdiction forces;
greater focus on military support to counter narcotics. We will be working with the International Security Assistance Force to do more to maximise military support for counter narcotics operations within the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation rules of engagement;
more support for counter narcotics criminal justice. The UK announced an extra £2 million at the Rome Rule of Law Conference in June;

better eradication. Afghan eradication forces need to improve. We will be working with the United States to assist them;

expanding the Good Performers Initiative to provide an incentive for governors to reduce cultivation in their provinces. We will be putting in £3.3 million; and

an extensive Afghan Government information campaign designed to convince farmers not to plant poppy. This is currently under way.

theGimpMK2 said:
Attended the big mans funeral yesterday, a massive attendance. From sprogs to the old and bold and a lot of sniffing and dust in eyes.

The booze up after was a real joy, with the barstaff overwhelmed for the entire day. The Plymouth rugby boys stole the show and made many lips wobble at the wake with an impromtu sing song.

There were blokes in rig on crutches and a man with balls of steel, a young marine in a wheelchair with only one arm left who was blagging through the bar crowds on a sympathy vote LOL

A sad but memorable day

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/dis...tentPK=20072468&folderPk=78031&pNodeId=133174

I thought I was having the shittiest day for a long time, until I read this, and now I feel ashamed of those feelings. I feel so powerless to put into words how I feel about those blokes, and I am sure my best wishes are wholly inadequate. But I know I am not alone in wishing them a speedy recovery in body and in mind.

rosinacarley said:
theGimpMK2 said:

A sad but memorable day

I thought I was having the shittiest day for a long time, until I read this, and now I feel ashamed of those feelings. I feel so powerless to put into words how I feel about those blokes, and I am sure my best wishes are wholly inadequate. But I know I am not alone in wishing them a speedy recovery in body and in mind.

Good post and well said Rosie.

theGimpMK2

Lantern Swinger
long bump, just read this again.

Cheeky ****** with one limb in a chair has just finished running across the USA

Mad ******

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS British Army protects big cats in Belize MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Big broadband boost for Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Next big step for Thorney Island’s flood defences MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Big broadband boost for rural English shires and counties MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Big step forward in digital infrastructure revolution brings benefits of 5G closer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK and Welsh governments team up on big broadband boost for rural Wales MoD News 0
BIG_EATS Big Wilf The Quarterdeck 12
MoD_RSS NDA group enjoys a big WiN at awards ceremony MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Passengers to plan journeys down to the minute as big data revitalises country’s bus use MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rural Crime Week proves a big success across Tees Valley MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK to take a big ‘STEP’ to fusion electricity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Science superstars and small businesses could bring the next big innovations to market with £100 million boost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Spending Round gives big boost to local communities MoD News 0
E The big wait Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS Press release: Big wins for British businesses as Vice Premier Hu Chunhua visits MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Big wins for British businesses as Vice Premier Hu Chunhua visits MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Big boost for tiny tech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Dr Liam Fox: Big dreams drive small business to take on the world MoD News 0
Maxpowers MASSIVE BIG GIANT ISSUE (NOT) Joining the Royal Navy 38
MoD_RSS Press release: Big changes to motorway upgrades set to improve drivers’ journeys MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Nuclear employees WiN big at national diversity conference MoD News 0
Ageing_Gracefully Real Big Boats Diamond Lil's 4
soleil Economist: "Rum, Strategy & The Cash - Britain's RN Has Big Ambitions, But A Small Budget" Current Affairs 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp The Big Five-Oh for Fazzers Submariners 4
slim Big Issue Seller News Current Affairs 1
vauxhall Big changes ahead? Finance & Pensions 2
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Minister visits small Ipswich company which has played big part in... MoD News 0
Stirlin Big is not always best. Sports and Adventure Training 5
G Big help with interview tomorrow Submariners 11
BillyNoMates Big white ships. International 6
MoD_RSS News story: Trustworthiness of information from big data sets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Timeline visualisation for provenance-based big data sensemaking MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Knowledge based autonomous big data validation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Hypothesis generation and visualisation from big data MoD News 0
G How big are the classes for Prnc and raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
B Big guns turn fire on No10 The Quarterdeck 41
Guns How big is the T45??? The Fleet 10
Sumo Olympics 2016 the next big event Sports and Adventure Training 8
MoD_RSS Press release: Winners of £2 million autonomy and big data funding announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: CDE themed competition webinar: autonomy and big data for defence MoD News 0
mitch in the north BIG EATS!! Diamond Lil's 29
MoD_RSS News story: CDE themed competition webinar: open-source big data insight MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Easing big-data information overload and precision navigation MoD News 0
babygravy Big BAE announcement next week Current Affairs 17
Guzzler That 'big' pay rise Finance & Pensions 11
slim The Big Issue........Helping or Hurting Diamond Lil's 12
Seadog Bob Crow Has Gone to the Big Picket Line in the Sky Current Affairs 46
sgtpepperband 28 Things That People With Big Boobs Can Simply Never Do Diamond Lil's 21
Woody2654 A big cuddly Bear The Corps 0
soleil Channel 5: "Big, Bigger, Biggest" - Thursday, Oct 10th 2013 - 1900 Submariners 3