Big BAE announcement next week

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by babygravy, Dec 13, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apparently there will be a big announcement by BAE wrt its Portsmouth operations.

Has anyone else heard about this at all?

Its either going to be good news (like they have been awarded some big contract for something), or bad news (closure of the Broad oak site maybe)
  2. Perhaps they're going to give back some of the millions they've fleeced
    the MoD for over the years!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Edited for accuracy, free of charge.
  4. Six months out from a general election .... are they trying to get bad news out of the way early or are we now close enough that we're into the time for making everyone feel good?
  5. BASE are more interested in Support contracts than actually making things. Their invitations to 2 of their training courses weren't wasted and maybe did teach me something. They've almost achieved it in aviation.
  6. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

I would be astounded if any orders came for the UK - unless something major has been won overseas, or its a 'T26 but not a T26' order (e.g. ships bilges or something).
  7. The decade-delayed Spearfish MLU finally going ahead, or its cancellation and a replacement weapon instead? Heard some rumours either way...
  8. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Of course they have. They have made a MASSIVE profit from MoD. Despite the ever-changing requirements soap opera coming from the finniky, don't really know what they want customer. Despite that same customer ignoring clear advice and deciding to fly-by-seat-of-pants with regard logistic supply and leave it to the OEM when shit goes wrong. Despite deciding to wing it with regard crew training and sending them to sea knowing f-all about f-all and heavily reliant on said OEM when shit goes wrong. Then perpetuating the myth that BAE build shit ships, when all they built, was all the customer asked for, to the budget they gave them.

Yeah. BAE are bastards, aren't they?

• Like Like x 4
  9. I worked for BAe in the days of Cost+ contracts, it was almost like a licence to print money.
    Then they bought Royal Ordnance and made a fortune by closing it and selling the assets.
    I did enjoy working for them though:D
  10. My only question is how can a company that has been done by the S.F.O. in the past, still
    be regarded as the only choice? Probably because the word "British" is in there? Or is it
    because there can be only one? opening statement 20.12.10.pdf
  11. Levers_Aligned

The T45s are run on CFA. It isn't quite as divisive as people make out. Seven main subcontractors and a prime, all signed up to x days of availability as a fleet asset. Its pusser who agrees the 'x days' bit with BAE. Jack should remember this when banging on the table and pumping up the repair category of OPDEFs.

12. A1. All stores NAAB usual.
  13. Levers_Aligned

[QUOTE="BillyNoMates, post: 1227129, member: 4452"]A1. All stores NAAB usual.[/QUOTE]

So who is to blame? BAE for being contracted, to contract the subcontractor to supply (usually deprioritised in accordance with their own contracts with bigger clients like the oil industry, American government and possibly the Salvation Army) or MoD for being stupidly nearsighted and not investing in a heady stock of spares?

14. hackle

hackle Badgeman Moderator

15. Which is only fair given that the customer is the US Army - still a good result though