Big aircraft on Carriers

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by lsadirty, Feb 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Was watching JAG on SKY tonite, and the hotshot jetjockey/lawyer landed a C130 on an Elmer CVN. At the very end, they showed a film clip of a C130 landing on the FORRESTAL in 1963. Given the disparity in size between our carriers and theirs, what's the biggest aircraft we've ever landed on a British carrier ???
  2. Biggest Rotary I've seen was a CH 53 on the Fearless..........not a lot of space there.

FW, no Idea but the Phantom would have been pretty big, failing that a Buccaneer or Gannet?

3. Didn't Richard Branson land a Jumbo on the Massive for charadee.

Black cat that bastard!!
  4. when I was on the massive the space shuttle landed, then the wafu's turned her around and relaunched her.

5. Wasn't the ISS on spot 1 :thumright: :thumright:

6. I would imagine it was a toss up between the F-4 and Sea Vixen as to the largest physically with the Bucc probably taking the heaviest place.
  7. Are you talking about weight or physical size?
    The biggest fixed wing one I was involved with on one of our Flight decks, was a USN Tracker,and the biggest rotary was a RAF Chinook.
  8. As MM says the Bucc would be the heaviest (as rigger friend once said Buccs aren't made, they're quarried) and not neccesarily smaller than the F4.

As for landing a C130 on a carrier, that's one thing, getting it airborne again would be interesting to watch.
  9. Was thinking of physical size- how abot A2 SAVAGE ? Did we ever handle them ? Big beastie that was.
  10. Thinking about the first question, I remember seeing a clip of a C-130 doing an approach to a Septic carrier on U-Tube or such like,, but it didn't actually land. Could this be a bit of Hollywood editing on JAG???????

Nope! I was wrong check here,

11. The Spams also managed to operate U-2s off several carriers although it is believed never operationally. This one's on the USS America in 1969.

12. A plague upon IGS, neither link will work!
  13. Had a Yank land on the Vic early 60's with a Phantom in an exchange,problem was he would not take off again until we reached harbour.
    Said it was too short,he may have been right as I was not FAA so knew sod all about it,I do know he spent a lot of time shooting a .44 Magnum off the rear end of flight deck.
    Used to tell all who listened that it could go thu a car engine,he would be hard pressed to hit a car engine at the 20 yards he practiced on!
  14. Remember the Doolittle raid on Japan in 194? That took balls
  15. when they were planning CVA01 back in the sixties they envisaged flying HS125's off them (note not the Intercity 125 before anyone asks!) -a commuter jet how about that! (ok so it would be a stripped down version similar to RAF Dominie but still.....)
  16. shippers - you should have seen the stig go off the ramp - thats was guts
  17. Largest Aircraft to operate from a British Carrier

Can I nominate the De Havilland Sea Mosquito?
  18. forth60 An interesting point. It certainly had the largest wing span. On length and all up weight, though, the Buccaneer 2 beats it at 63' 5" and 62,000 lb.