Bicycles, bicycling and fluorescent skin tight clothing.

Discussion in 'Hobbies & The Great Indoors' started by 2_deck_dash, Nov 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As a confirmed member of the car driving fraternity and anti cycle brigade, I usually have very little time for those who don't pay road tax, i.e. cyclists. However I was recently approached by an employee at work asking if we could start a scheme called Ride 2 Work. I won't go into the details but basically you can see off the Government for a tax free bike and pay for it interest free over a year. ''Why not?'' I thought, ''why not indeed?''

So on Saturday I went and bought a Harry spankers mountain bike, along with a helmet, some lights and a few other assorted accessories. To be honest I had absolutely no intention of riding it to work ever but I fancied going for a ride in the park and taking in some of the scenery now and then. The advantages of being able to get to the pub quickly, get smashed and then ride home were also a big factor in my decision.

Anyway I drove in to work as normal yesterday and got stuck in some really heavy traffic, it took 2.5 hours to drive 7 miles. This is by no means a one off incident and it happens fairly regularly. I usually just put up with it and accept it as part of London living.

I woke up this morning and saw that the weather was beautiful, sunny and crisp. I looked at my bike sat in the spare room and thought ''why the fcuk not?'' So I donned a track suit and stuffed my work clothes into my black issue rucksack, now looking resplendent with a luminous yellow 'Hump' cover and jumped on the bike.

As I rode along breathing in the fresh morning air and traffic fumes, I realised what I had been missing for all these years. It was like a revelation! It took me 24 minutes exactly to get to work and I even got a quick nod and a smile from a not bad looking lady cyclist at the lights.

Despite smelling like a foot, I feel much more awake and my productivity has gone up considerably. I am seriously looking forward to the ride home now. This is definitely the start of a new me. I can happily proclaim that I have officially joined the ranks of the freeloading, fluorescent skin tight clothing brigade.

Anyone else on here into cycling?

2. In Houston anyone who cycles to work is referred to as an organ-donor.

RM

3. In England, generally people know how to drive properly.

4. Exactly my point. Houstonians are the worst drivers in the US. The amber light means 'Give it some gas'.... The red light means 'Give it more gas'.

Last week one of the eedjits ran his car off an empty, dead-straight, road and into a marsh.

Nothing unusual in that I hear you say...................... but it was a brand-new Bugatti Veyron with 500 miles on the clock.

Edited to add:-

The driver said that the accident was caused because he dropped his cell-phone. Which begs the question whether a Veyron has Bluetooth thrown in as part of the package.
    [​IMG]

RM

5. I ride to work every monday I drop in a weeks worth of shirts and a suit then ride the other four days it saves me £80 a month. although sometimes I can't be bothered cause it's raining hard and do take the car but overall I like it. I have got some specialized Armadillo tyres on mine which prevent nearly all puctures as they are lined with kevlar. There is nothing worse than a puncture.

6. Wait until tonight, then you'll see just how many cyclists wear dark clothing, or don't have lights !!
    I drove past the HoP last night (drove becos of foul weather and the underground playing up again), and was overtaken by a couple of these dark unlit fellows (might have been female gender but I could hardly see them).... the boobies didn't even flinch !

Maybe Houston's organ donors is an apt title ?

7. cyclist's without lights or a flourescent top are fair game when driving especially down country lanes. :twisted:

8. Hold that thought as the truck hits you :roll:

RM

9. PMSL :D :D

10. The reality is that trucks certtainly in the UK are perhaps the least likely to hit you, mums on the school run are about the worst closely followed by those making their way home at night. Door openers are of course a special hazard anywhere near cash machines or newsagents in particular.

11. Agreed. I have a fluorescent cover for my rucksack and flashing, disco strobe lights on the front and back of my helmet and bike. Any cyclist riding at night without such accoutrements deserves to get layed out on the road by a cement mixer.

Darwin's theory of evolution working in all it's glory.

12. An Italian friend of mine once told me the most valuable piece of advice for driving in Italy:

In the North the traffic lights are instructions.
    In the Middle the traffic lights are suggestions.
    In the South the traffic lights are decorations.

I have obeyed these simple rules everytime I have driven over there and it seems to be correct.

13. As a keen mountain biker, i have a few bikes cause i do a few comps now again, Mainly downhill and cross country, but as mentioned i see quite a few people with out lights and who are on the road, its just madness or that somebody has a death wish, also as mentioned they seem to wear dark clothing as well, it looks like they are on some sort of special covert ops mission. On my journey to work i go past a couple of school runs and i always find the worst driver of them all are women drivers in 4x4, i really do think that they dont know the dimensions of the car hence why they take up the whole road, and not even letting me go past on a push bike.

14. 2_deck_dash. Did you get your tax thing and the interest free loan?

15. Anyone who wears flourescent lycra to ride to work is gay

16. So?

I don't really see where you are going with this.

17. I would rather be seen and gay than under a truck or car

18. Christ you that desperate to trap mate!!! 8O 8)

19. Don't knock it til you've tried it. '70s roller disco cock is the way forward. All the cool kids are doing it these days.