Bi-polar - help!

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Jenny_Dabber, Mar 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it a usual thing for people suffering Bi-Polar to be violent towards others, either in a threatening-pretence type way or actual way?

If Martizapan, or whatever it is called, isn't working, what other forms of meds out there would be good, to dampen the pshyco moods?

The doctor in question, in a way is refusing to see that the person I am referring to can be violent but in the home, it's a different matter.
  2. Jenny for more help and info, call the number below, it is the Bipola Organization, in London. Web site,
  3. My late Dad suffered from bipolar disorder (alias manic depressive psychosis) which tends to run in families. As I was adopted I have been OK. :whew: The problem with getting treatment is that the patient often sees nothing wrong with his/her health. My mother ended up living with me for 2 years because of my dad's behaviour when manic. He would spend vast amounts of money gambling and when she first tried to leave, tried to physically prevent her from leaving the house.

He was on carbamazepine and later lithium - the latter being the most effective.

Thus the answer to you question is that people with bipolar disorder MAY become violent, but it isn't a certainty.

You might find it interesting to read Kay Redfield-Jamison's autobiographical book, The Unquiet Mind. She is a psychiatrist herself, so was able to document that aspect of the disorder, from which she suffers.

The following link may also be helpful. 1A.pdf
  4. Thanks for the advice and links peeps, very useful xx
  5. Hope by now your friend has gotten the Bi-Polar issue sorted out.
    I myself suffer from severe anxiety (they call it a panic disorder)and severe depression, the two always come in pairs. We yanks call it Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

I know thos who suffer from Bi-polar disease. Being Bi-polar is really tough to cope with. In my observation. those who are Bi-polar, are in a very bright mood and without warning will suddenly become very flat, when the depression sets in. From my own experience, if my depression gets too bad, I become very angry and am like a loaded pistol that can go off in any direction. Not to talk about me too much, I asked my shrink once if severe depression can cause anger, he agreed. I would definately look into the medication. I personally have had my medication changed several times before getting things sorted.

I wish you the best in your situation, and if you wish to discuss it further then you can call in on me by email anytime.
  6. Lithium's good.
  7. Yes, especially with alcohol. Lithium and prozac are used.
  8. prozac is ok.. but it only masks the problems. does not heal or stop.. just gives you time to think about and sort out the problem your self. then of course is the "come down", cant take them forever you know, got to face the real world somtimes!
  9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Erm, is it just me, but who in their right mind would ask a bunch a matelots a serious medical question? :roll:
  10. I was on Lith + Prozac, it did bring about the 'letterbox' after about 3 weeks but the side affects in my case were absolutely horrendous.....
    massive weight gain,insomnia,pensioners bladder,constipation,plus Lith buggers up all the other senses like taste, balance ETC, I stuck it out for 3 years then asked my consultant if I could come off them and she reluctantly agreed.