BFBS: "Hawker Hunter Jets Return To Somerset"

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by soleil, Mar 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sounds like a bit of steve Vai in the background lol.

2. Ah if only they could get their Bucc airworthy again as well. Buccaneer G-HHAA (XX 885). Nice to see FW back Southside if only fleeting.

3. 3 Airworthy up for auction at Thunder City LOL

4. But more importantly, CAA has given permission for G-HHAA to fly with "complex aircraft" certification, so unlike the Thunder City jets, there's an outside possibility she could grace UK skies again. Even if she was always a crab cab.

5. xx894 would look better with certification lol

6. I'm not really sure what to make of this. These 1950's vintage aircraft were deemed unsuitable for the task when they were retired nearly 20 years ago. And now were are using them again, but under contract to HHA. Smacks of desperation to me.

7. To quote Liam Byrne (outgoing Labour Chief secretary to the Treasury), "I'm sorry, there really is no money left".

8. Surely this is different tasking from their original role? They're no use as fighters but as fast movers against warships for exercise and practice they seem ideal.

I couldn't imagine anyone seriously thinking these planes would stand a chance against a modern fighter, be a bit like the Red Baron in his tri-plane taking on a Spitfire.