BFBS: "Cuts To Royal Navy 'Would Be Comical If They Weren't So Serious'"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Jun 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's like so many things that we tend to take for granted - you never really appreciate how important and valuable they are until the day you want to use them and find they aren't there any more (or are so badly maintained as to be unworkable).

If the politicos want non-military examples that they can relate to ask them what they would do if they suddently had to make do without
    Telephones
    Internet
    Dishwasher (my wife's preferred example)
    Car
    Airlines
    Electricity
    Running Water
    need I go on?

2. Despite being the smallest of the UK armed services numerically (link), the Naval Service (RN & RM) has a significantly higher proportion of its personnel deployed on operations at any time than either the Army or the RAF. It is therefore scandalous that its personnel are now undergoing a higher percentage cut than either of the other two services:
    For the services, these cuts represent:

• 6.8% for the Army
    • 13.2% for the RAF
    • 14.3% for the much smaller but more active Naval Service
    This situation is even more galling when one takes a look at the different Service Harmony Guidelines:

3. What have this select lot all got in common?

Medina Sidonia
    Brueys d'Aigalliers
    Villeneuve
    Dontiz
    Galtieri

They all failed to break the morale and professonalism of the Royal Navy and ended up on the losing side.

Our current and previous Governments are destroying 'US' with consumate ease. I bet Nelson, Queen Victoria and their like are turning in their graves. Disgusting behaviour by those who are paid too much. :cry:

4. It hasn't changed - it was thereason I left in 1979 - I went sea, to sea, to sea. I was alongside for 4 months in 5 years

5. MoD in denial as usual. Goodness knows what would happen if we started taking casualties in a proper war like the Falklands. Not only does the RN lack the capability to mount such a major operation these days but there is simply no allowance for attrition. This situation inevitably encourages a risk averse approach to battle that goes against everything the RN has ever stood for and, in doing so, triumphed despite overwhelming odds.