Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Beware Boiler Room scammers

Tribalclass

Midshipman
A quick heads up.

I left the service last month and am eagerly awaiting 36 years worth of gratuity wad. Perhaps coincidentally, but hopefully not as the result of an information leak, I have been contacted by one of these boiler room scam outfits. Luckily, having been around for more than a dog watch, I did not fall for it.

Scenario:

Call on the mobile [Blocked number] - "Hallo [my forename], I'm Peter and I am calling you on behalf of [garbled and unmemorable] brokers and would like to discuss an exciting offer with you. Before I go on can I just verify that you are [my full name], home adress [my correct address], phone number [the one he is calling me on] and email address [correct email address]?

Me - how did you get these details?

Sheister - It's from a third party. You did consent to be contacted by other businesses

He then launches in to his shpiel.

I shan't go through the whole thing, but they are very well trained and know exactly what psychological buttons to press, mostly bigging you up as a smart person who is savvy with money and can spot a good opportunity when you see it, lots of chummy banter.

Long story short - a polite decline is the best way of dealing with them. Also, whenever I give my details to a legitimate web-based outfit for something one-off, e.g. hotel wifi, I give a made-up but valid email address which is not mine.

Weather eye out, chaps.

Try telling them your from the FSA and thank them for the call which shall be passed on to your fraud department - Worked for me!:thumleft:

As someone who used to be in the Financial Services industry, I can say you did the right thing, Tribalclass...... or can I call you Tri ?
If, however, you'd like some ideas on where to invest your wad, I have a friend who used to be a bank manager in Reykjavik, and currently managing a fund of Greek smaller companies equities. It's a ground floor opportunity which could yield spectacular results.......interested ?

Latest Threads