Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Better late than never

Arctic Star

I have only just discovered that the Russian Convoy vets have finally been awarded the Arctic Star to pin to one of their campaign medals.

There has been some serious campaigning for these heros - the ones that wear the white berets on November ceremonies - to be awarded a separate medal. The government have been shamed by the Russians who have provided the vets with not one but two medals. Originally I understand they were told that they were not permitted to wear these as they were not UK medals, however I am also told that they wore them anyway because 'who is going to tell us to take them off? the medal police?!'

My father of HMS FORSYTH - which sunk the EDINBURGH with their last torpedo, has always maintained that he will not beg anyone for a medal, having done his duty by his mates all those years ago.

But I am as proud of him today getting (yet!) another medal as he was of me when I passed out of Raleigh.
 

silverfox

War Hero
Moderator
Book Reviewer
There is no problem in wearing decorations issued by a foreign government - as long as you have permission from the Queen. This permission can be a blanket one as in the case of the EU medal for service in Bosnia, or granted on an individual basis such as the guys getting the Bronze Star from the US in Iraq. All your father would have to do is write a letter to HMQ asking for permission - or maybe the Association could. Either way it would be an interesting test of the system, and could not possibly be construed as begging. Does this help?
 
The real trouble is that many of those who 'did the job' are now dead, like two of my English teachers at school who were RNVR officers on escorts, and an ex work colleague who was a swordfish observer. He considered going to Atlantic Concoys after he ditched a cushy number.

Peter
 
silverfox said:
There is no problem in wearing decorations issued by a foreign government - as long as you have permission from the Queen. This permission can be a blanket one as in the case of the EU medal for service in Bosnia, or granted on an individual basis such as the guys getting the Bronze Star from the US in Iraq. All your father would have to do is write a letter to HMQ asking for permission - or maybe the Association could. Either way it would be an interesting test of the system, and could not possibly be construed as begging. Does this help?

No I believe the said permission from HMQ has been granted, but what he meant was that he would not join the campaign for a medal as it felt like begging.
 

fishmiester

Banned
Bout time too. These guys went to sea in one of the most awful places in the world knowing at any moment they may get their ship shot from beneath them. Even if they didn't the stress of the fear of it must have been almost insurmountable.

Hats off and a big tot to any one of them that cross my bow wave
 
Getting the permission from The Queen is usually fairly straight forward. It then has to be ratified by the eedjits in the MoD / FCO who are generally waffling on the wearing of medals awarded/issued by a foreign government (the Americans/Ozzies/Kiwis seem to have no problem).

I could tend to fill pages of info on their 'reluctance' to allow this to happen, but people could have a gander at:

www.fight4thePJM.org

which is campaigning for the Pingat Jasa Malaysia (PJM) medal awarded by the King of Malaysia to veterans (the PC name now for ex service types) of the Malaya War and Borneo Confrontation to be allowed to wear it.

The recognition of what we service and ex service do, and have done, for our country is overlooked in the pollies and senior civil service types rushing to get their knighthoods etc for dedicated service in the art of buttkissing and pencil pushing. :evil:

I trust you get the award Rosie - he deserves it.
:)
 
whitemouse said:
I trust you get the award Rosie - he deserves it.
:)

Thank you for your kind words WM - I hope to not have his medals for a long time! I believe that I may wear them at his funeral (god forbid) and having to keep them all clean them will be a right pain, compared to my sad 2!
 
Rosina, it’s the Arctic Emblem, worn on the Left lapel. Here’s some background

The British Authorities resisted any special award for service in Russian Convoys until 2005 when the British PM announced; Quote
"Mindful that those who served in the Arctic regions were often subjected to especially dangerous circumstances including extreme weather conditions and determined resistance from German forces, the Prime Minister and his Cabinet colleagues believe that the service given and the conditions undergone by the Arctic veterans warrant tangible recognition in the form of something that can be worn. As a result, on 7 March 2005 the Prime Minister announced at a reception for Arctic veterans, the introduction of a new Arctic Emblem that can be worn as a unique, recognised addition to medals. "

If you are entitled to the Arctic emblem you are also entitled to the 40th Anniversary of Victory in the Great Patriotic War Medal (also known more commonly as the Russian Convoy Medal).
On receiving the 40th Anniversary Medal, you then become entitled to the 50th & 60th Anniversary Medals,
issued by the Embassy of the Russian Federation in London.

My WW2 Service was in RN Fleet Air Arm; first part out East, then in 1945 North Atlantic & Russia convoy. (A snip compared to ’42 & ’42)
I thought that with most of us ready to fall off the perch; maybe they were just stalling; hoping to save on Emblems. But last week had notification from MOD of award of the Emblem, then a few days later rcd the Russian 40th Anniversary Medal. At least the Grandkids will be able to wear it.

Rosina, if your Dad served on Forsyth with Edinburgh business, he’s certainly entitled to all the above.
Best of Luck to him.
 

hobbit

War Hero
I reckon anyone who has earned a medal, regardless of where,should wear it with pride and f**k the establishment, many of whom wear medals they did not earn the way the Russian Convoy vets and many others did

YEAH
 
Como83 said:
Rosina, it’s the Arctic Emblem, worn on the Left lapel. Here’s some background

The British Authorities resisted any special award for service in Russian Convoys until 2005 when the British PM announced; Quote
"Mindful that those who served in the Arctic regions were often subjected to especially dangerous circumstances including extreme weather conditions and determined resistance from German forces, the Prime Minister and his Cabinet colleagues believe that the service given and the conditions undergone by the Arctic veterans warrant tangible recognition in the form of something that can be worn. As a result, on 7 March 2005 the Prime Minister announced at a reception for Arctic veterans, the introduction of a new Arctic Emblem that can be worn as a unique, recognised addition to medals. "

If you are entitled to the Arctic emblem you are also entitled to the 40th Anniversary of Victory in the Great Patriotic War Medal (also known more commonly as the Russian Convoy Medal).
On receiving the 40th Anniversary Medal, you then become entitled to the 50th & 60th Anniversary Medals,
issued by the Embassy of the Russian Federation in London.

My WW2 Service was in RN Fleet Air Arm; first part out East, then in 1945 North Atlantic & Russia convoy. (A snip compared to ’42 & ’42)
I thought that with most of us ready to fall off the perch; maybe they were just stalling; hoping to save on Emblems. But last week had notification from MOD of award of the Emblem, then a few days later rcd the Russian 40th Anniversary Medal. At least the Grandkids will be able to wear it.

Rosina, if your Dad served on Forsyth with Edinburgh business, he’s certainly entitled to all the above.
Best of Luck to him.

Thank you for your kind words Como, wear your medals with pride too.

Rosie
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SONAR-BENDER Better late than never Diamond Lil's 3
S Better Late Than Never Current Affairs 0
J ooops better late................ Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
MoD_RSS First meeting of the new Build Back Better Business Council MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Secretary to introduce 'Kay's Law' reform to better protect victims MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Build back better: £600 million to upgrade and refurbish NHS hospitals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bradford: using the Prevention Concordat for Better Mental Health MoD News 0
MoD_RSS No better time than now to step up climate action MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Making the Security Council better reflect the twenty-first century MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Innovations, partnerships and better connections - roads chief’s message to sector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 4,500 new Work Coaches to join the frontline to help Britain build back better MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New blueprint for better hospital food MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Disabled people to benefit from better journeys thanks to service station funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chinandega residents in Nicaragua better informed about COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS “We know New Public Management fails but what else can we do?” Is there a better way than management by targets? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Transport Secretary launches new Acceleration Unit to speed up transport infrastructure projects and build back better from COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Standing side by side, we'll build back better than ever MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Call for tender: rebuilding better: opportunities and risks in the context of COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recreational sea anglers are calling for greater consideration of their needs and better regulation of commercial fishing practices, says new study. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Let's build back better MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Law change to better protect consumers in event of insolvencies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £200,000 boost for better mobile connections on rail network MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Do you need to leave your home area to achieve a better life? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New law changes to bring better connectivity to the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Marine and coastal areas linked with better health and well-being MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Deos: delivering faster and better mobile medical screening MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £15 million boost to bring better rail journeys to the North East MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vulnerable children to get better support when moving school MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Seminar with the Forum of Indian Regulators (FOIR) on Better Regulation (20th May) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Leaving lockdown together: Why we are better united against coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defuse the ‘weather bomb’ with better protection and stronger resilience says Environment Agency Chief Executive MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Building Better Building Beautiful Commission report launch MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Better tech: not a ‘nice to have’ but vital to have for the NHS MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Academy NW seminar: "Prevention is better than court" MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Separated migrant children given better access to legal aid MoD News 0
MoD_RSS International Partnership Programme wins Better Satellite World Award MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Regulators launch revised strategy to deliver better services for commercial vehicle industries MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Better information for victims and greater transparency - Parole Board CEO Blog MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Economic and Finance Committee: When we get it right, we affect the lives of millions of ordinary citizens for the better MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated flood maps mean Salisbury is better prepared MoD News 0
Alfacharlie Was the old rum ration days better? Diamond Lil's 4
slim Was Rum Ration a Better forum in the Olden Days Diamond Lil's 14
MoD_RSS Regulators set out plans to ensure the charity accounting framework better serves the public MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Push to better understand sources affecting bathing water quality MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Push to better understand sources affecting Bridlington water quality MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 2 improvements to ensure passengers get a better deal on rail fares MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Education Secretary says post-16 options better than ever, as GCSE results released MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Linking technologies to better detect disease: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Improve productivity with better analysis: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Better Care Fund renewed for 2019 to 2020 MoD News 0
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

New Posts

Top