Better Chances Of Getting Back In If You've Previously Served?

ISeeThreeShips

Badgeman
While i was browsing questions, this one popped into my head.

If someone were to complete Phase 1 & 2 training and then decided to PVR. You then decided perhaps a few years later to rejoin. When getting to the interview stage, would the previous training you've completed, be of beneficial to getting a better chance of getting back in? If that makes any sense.

Thanks. :bigsmurf:

slim

War Hero
Once a loser.......................................... Why would a failure who couldn't handle service life the first time round be any better the second time?
The service,believe it or not has invested a great deal of money in a rating by the time he has completed part 2 training.
The recruiter can perhaps provide the real answer, but myself I would rather give a different individual the chance of a career in the RN.

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
My own opinion is the same as Slim's, however I doubt that we are allowed to be so nasty to such lightweight failures. I think this has been done before in a thread of its own right.

frogman007

War Hero
Just man up you beef **** and get on with it. Either that or **** off and work in women's retail. I despise your sort.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
While i was browsing questions, this one popped into my head.

If someone were to complete Phase 1 & 2 training and then decided to PVR. You then decided perhaps a few years later to rejoin. When getting to the interview stage, would the previous training you've completed, be of beneficial to getting a better chance of getting back in? If that makes any sense.

Thanks. :bigsmurf:
Few branches could complete initial training and phase two in less than 6 months - the critical bit being that the PVR option only lasts to week 26 (6 months served). Those discharged "unhappy Under 18" beyond the first six months are viewed as an administrative discharge, not a PVR - but the PVR opt-out is unlikely to be permitted if they are allowed to rejoin

More commonly the individual is likely to have completed Initial Naval Training (formerly phase one) then PVR'd during phase two or was discharged unsuitable during training for a professional training fail.

Everyone's reasons for leaving during the first 6 months differ - often it's due to home-sickness/separation issues/immaturity and suchlike but the reasons truly vary, sometimes there are very valid reasons and it is a contractual right of the individual to "opt-out", whatever others may think. Equally it's the right of the employer not to re-employ.

Sometimes those leaving are so hell-bent on leaving that they "burn bridges" in their haste to leave and often they then find that a poor disciplinary record, adverse service reports, or medical record which resulted in discharge "temperamentally unsuitable" could greatly influence the selection decision at interview.

Whatever reasons were given at the time of discharge need to be explained satisfactorily at selection interview to justify warranting the risk of further expense. Those who did opt out cannot do so again and must usually serve a minimum of 4 to 5 years (depending on branch) if accepted at interview.

Whilst the individual may well think their previous "experience" makes them a better candidate, in their eyes, the truth is that they are considered "higher risk" due to their track record and first time joiners less so.

Polto

War Hero
The only advantage might be the benefit of experience...but such an individual would still be in competition I imagine, at the AFCO, with others that are joining up for the first time...probably.

2cool

Lantern Swinger
yeah of course, you've already proved you have what it takes...

sorry couldn't resist the bandwagon :)

paybobsquarepants

Lantern Swinger
If they have not yet PVRed then give them all the encouragement to stay in - as others have said once gone they may not get a chance to get back in. We are in the middle of a depression, jobs are hard to come by especially for those without experience and it's very very cold out there.

That said, if the have PVRed and are thinking about it, they shoudl seriously think how will I answer the inevitable question "Why should we take you in, when you left previously?" What have they done in the intervening time to improve their marketability to the RN? Also they coudl consider the RNR if a base is nearby.

PBS

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Deos: delivering faster and better mobile medical screening MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £15 million boost to bring better rail journeys to the North East MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vulnerable children to get better support when moving school MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Seminar with the Forum of Indian Regulators (FOIR) on Better Regulation (20th May) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Leaving lockdown together: Why we are better united against coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defuse the ‘weather bomb’ with better protection and stronger resilience says Environment Agency Chief Executive MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Building Better Building Beautiful Commission report launch MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Better tech: not a ‘nice to have’ but vital to have for the NHS MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Academy NW seminar: "Prevention is better than court" MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Separated migrant children given better access to legal aid MoD News 0
MoD_RSS International Partnership Programme wins Better Satellite World Award MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Regulators launch revised strategy to deliver better services for commercial vehicle industries MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Better information for victims and greater transparency - Parole Board CEO Blog MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Economic and Finance Committee: When we get it right, we affect the lives of millions of ordinary citizens for the better MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated flood maps mean Salisbury is better prepared MoD News 0
Alfacharlie Was the old rum ration days better? Diamond Lil's 4
slim Was Rum Ration a Better forum in the Olden Days Diamond Lil's 14
MoD_RSS Regulators set out plans to ensure the charity accounting framework better serves the public MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Push to better understand sources affecting bathing water quality MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Push to better understand sources affecting Bridlington water quality MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 2 improvements to ensure passengers get a better deal on rail fares MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Education Secretary says post-16 options better than ever, as GCSE results released MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Linking technologies to better detect disease: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Improve productivity with better analysis: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Better Care Fund renewed for 2019 to 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aid helps world’s poorest access better mobile phone technologies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Businesses to pay rates bills that better reflect current property values MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM: post-18 education must work better for everyone MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Better tech will build better relationships between clinicians and patients MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New guide to help consumer markets better support adults at risk MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: All employers in England to have better access to buy high quality apprenticeships MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Better financial reporting for academy trusts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New guide to help consumer markets better support adults at risk MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Record employment is not enough – jobseekers need the chance of better work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Triple bill of better compensation, new trains and faster services on Greater Anglia MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Monitoring housing for better health: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New strategic licensing for developers in Cheshire to better protect great crested newts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Monitoring housing for better health: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Marlow is now better protected from flooding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Residents and landlords to team up to better communicate building safety issues MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Brokenshire: hundreds of thousands of families helped to change their lives for the better MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: I believe in the power of technology to make lives better MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New rules to better protect renters' money MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New for newts: better for wildlife, business and people MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Improving service to customers: The recruitment drive and a better online service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Better, faster, more personalised asthma treatment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Justice Secretary unveils GPS tag rollout to better protect victims MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Significant progress on better rail deal for football fans MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: 32 million people better off as key legislation passes final hurdle MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Buses that build a better society MoD News 0