Better Chances Of Getting Back In If You've Previously Served?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ISeeThreeShips, Dec 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. While i was browsing questions, this one popped into my head.

If someone were to complete Phase 1 & 2 training and then decided to PVR. You then decided perhaps a few years later to rejoin. When getting to the interview stage, would the previous training you've completed, be of beneficial to getting a better chance of getting back in? If that makes any sense.

Thanks. :bigsmurf:
  2. Once a loser.......................................... Why would a failure who couldn't handle service life the first time round be any better the second time?
    The service,believe it or not has invested a great deal of money in a rating by the time he has completed part 2 training.
    The recruiter can perhaps provide the real answer, but myself I would rather give a different individual the chance of a career in the RN.
  3. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

My own opinion is the same as Slim's, however I doubt that we are allowed to be so nasty to such lightweight failures. I think this has been done before in a thread of its own right.
  4. Just man up you beef **** and get on with it. Either that or **** off and work in women's retail. I despise your sort.
  5. This question isn't about me... I ain't rejoining? A family member of mine, wishes to rejoin. Thus the question...
  6. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Think you mean "hence the question".
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Few branches could complete initial training and phase two in less than 6 months - the critical bit being that the PVR option only lasts to week 26 (6 months served). Those discharged "unhappy Under 18" beyond the first six months are viewed as an administrative discharge, not a PVR - but the PVR opt-out is unlikely to be permitted if they are allowed to rejoin

More commonly the individual is likely to have completed Initial Naval Training (formerly phase one) then PVR'd during phase two or was discharged unsuitable during training for a professional training fail.

Everyone's reasons for leaving during the first 6 months differ - often it's due to home-sickness/separation issues/immaturity and suchlike but the reasons truly vary, sometimes there are very valid reasons and it is a contractual right of the individual to "opt-out", whatever others may think. Equally it's the right of the employer not to re-employ.

Sometimes those leaving are so hell-bent on leaving that they "burn bridges" in their haste to leave and often they then find that a poor disciplinary record, adverse service reports, or medical record which resulted in discharge "temperamentally unsuitable" could greatly influence the selection decision at interview.

Whatever reasons were given at the time of discharge need to be explained satisfactorily at selection interview to justify warranting the risk of further expense. Those who did opt out cannot do so again and must usually serve a minimum of 4 to 5 years (depending on branch) if accepted at interview.

Whilst the individual may well think their previous "experience" makes them a better candidate, in their eyes, the truth is that they are considered "higher risk" due to their track record and first time joiners less so.
  8. ****!! the whole family is genetically retarded...need a bit of chlorine in their gene pool.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. The only advantage might be the benefit of experience...but such an individual would still be in competition I imagine, at the AFCO, with others that are joining up for the first time...probably.
  10. yeah of course, you've already proved you have what it takes...

sorry couldn't resist the bandwagon :)
  11. If they have not yet PVRed then give them all the encouragement to stay in - as others have said once gone they may not get a chance to get back in. We are in the middle of a depression, jobs are hard to come by especially for those without experience and it's very very cold out there.

That said, if the have PVRed and are thinking about it, they shoudl seriously think how will I answer the inevitable question "Why should we take you in, when you left previously?" What have they done in the intervening time to improve their marketability to the RN? Also they coudl consider the RNR if a base is nearby.