Bestestest Cameras

Discussion in 'Hobbies & The Great Indoors' started by Jimmy_Green, Jul 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right, I'm in the market to replace my old chunky Nikon Coolpix 880 digicam with something up to date and compact. I'm looking for a really compact camera, ideally one that can be slipped comfortably into a jeans pocket, but must have very good picture quality, something like a 5x optical zoom and preferably a wide angle lens. I'm interested in the Canon IXUS 990 IS and the Panasonic Lumix DMC FX550. They are both pretty expensive, so I was wondering if any of you, my dear readers, have any worthwhile, good quality alternatives to recommend based on your own experiences with your own cameras.

And Thingy, no I'm not interested in the sort of camera you favour, they're not exactly what I'd call compact. :)
  2. Hi JG, I've just got myself a Canon Ixus 95IS. Great!! only 3 x zoom, but it has image stabilizer and also a optical viewfinder - invaluable in sunny weather!! I've also got a Olympus SP500 but too big for the pocket or handbag, thats why I got the Canon, nice and neat and small, but does the job nicely. Price is just over £200. can be used on auto or can be programmed to what you want.
  3. Ill stik with kodak P712 and c743 both just the job for me
  4. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Am having difficulty getting film for my 'Box Brownie'.
  5. I have a Sony Alpha A900, but want to upgrade to a Nikon D300 soon.
    I am DEFINITLY taking it out when I get sent out :)
  6. I have a Nikon Coolpix 6000 for those occasions where I need a more portable camera. It's a good camera though the GPS in it is erratic, so I still take my Garmin with me to record locations.
  7. I have a Canon PowerShot SX200 IS as a carry everywhere camera. My DSLRs are too bulky to take on nights out - plus who wants to have a £3500 camera with you when you get pissed?
  8. Go the whole hog and get a D3, superb bit of kit!
  9. Bought the daughter a Canon Digital IXUS 80 IS Camera - Silver (8.0MP, 3x Optical Zoom) 2.5 inch LCD last Christmas from Amazon she took it when she went to the french alps for the skiing, photos top rate it now sells for £179. The golden rule is always buy over 3MP for good prints most digi are over 3MP. Idiot proof image stabilizer are also the norm.
  10. I know it isn't in line with the OP but if you're spending good money on a FF body, why not try the 1DSMkIII? Or slightly cheaper 5DMkII - beats that nikon crap :wink: (not counting high ISO performance anyway)
  11. Jimmy, in case you change your mind....

With my Nikkor 90mm f4.5 wide angle lens and carbon fibre tripod it weighs less that 9kg! The whole kit with 6 prime lenses weights less than 30kg. :)
  12. I can shoot in low light at 6400ISO and get no noise at all! Tere is still a snag with Canon 1DSMkIIIs pics are on the 'soft' side. ;-)
  13. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

My leaving gift from work was a CANON IXUS 100 IS - cracking little 12M compact camera that records video in HD! Very handy. When I ahve space I prefer my CANON DSLR D400 but you can't always lug them about.
  14. I bought a Sony DSC-U10, and thought it was the dogs bollocks for impromptu run ashore style photos.
    I bought a Sony DSC V1, for something a bit better. I actually priced it in Gib, and found I could get it cheaper online . It has all the controls you could want.
    I then bought a Canon EOS 350D when it first came out. Superb, I thought.

I still use them all, but Jeezo!, I must have had a lot of money in those days.
  15. Have a look at the Samsung WB550. Schneider-KREUZNACH 24mm ultra wide angle, 10x optical zoom lens, records 720p movies, and is cheaper than either of the two you are looking at. It also has a 3" screen, one of the biggest you'll get in a compact, and though it isn't the slimmest, it is still small enough to fit into your pocket.
  16. Well, as I never got around to buying either of the cameras I'd thought about in the OP, I'm still searching. The camera market seems to change very quickly with better replacement models appearing every couple of months.

So most recently, I initially liked the looks and specification of the Fujifilm F70EXR and it generally gets good reviews, but I did read in one write up that the screen is difficult to use in very bright sunlight (but I guess most cameras will be like that), and it also appears to suffer from a fair bit of chromatic abberation according to a couple of reviews.

The only other brands I have been drawn to are Canon and Panasonic. I like the looks and size of the Canon and they have a good reputation for picture quality, but I think they are overpriced when compared to other makes of similar quality and spec.

I had a look at the Ixus 120 IS & the 200 IS, both appealing little cameras but I found that ergonomically with my chunky fingers the switches & buttons were too small and my sausage fingers covered the screen, which on the 200 is touch sensitive, so I don't think either of these two will be in my final reckoning. Plus the Panny Lumix offers higher spec for lower wedge, and are ergonomically more suited to my chunky mitts, so I think that's where my choice will lay. I'm torn between three models, the DMC FX60, DMC ZX1 and the DMC TZ7. I had a look at the Samsung WB550 and compared it against the TZ1 which pips it in the reviews and is a 12x optical zoom compared to the Samsung's x10. The FX60 is a 12 megapixie x5 zoom which compares more favourably IMHO against the Ixus 200 IS and is a lot cheaper, but I haven't seen any reviews about it as yet. I like the ZX1 which is also a 12 megapixie camera but with an 8x optical zoom. I'm really interested in this one and it's just a little bit thicker than the 200 IS. What really does appeal is the 12x zoom of the 10 megapixie TZ7 and I haven't seen a negative review of the camera but I'm worried it might be that little bit too chunky a camera to carry around on a regular basis. Choices choices. I think it will come down to either that or the ZX1 but I'm really undecided. Help!!
  17. Depends on how you plan to use it Jimmy_Green. Do you intend to just leave it in auto or use the standard presets or do you want manual shutter speed and aperture control as well?
  18. It will be used mainly in auto as a point and shoot.