Best/Worst Nightclubs and Bars

PedlarP

Lantern Swinger
Yes, @repoman I was onboard Antrim for the Seaslug firings. Every time a Seaslug was fired the sailors had to repaint the Quarter Deck :confused:

Winny

Badgeman
Guzz ..... Jesters nightclub and nearly forgot JFKs (the only place in Plymouth that played Drum and Bass!! )
Pompey/Southsea..... Jo's nightclub
Gosport... Nelsons/Emma's
Oh and not to forget BOP nights at Dryad

Last edited:

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
The El Morrocco in Auckland was dire during the 6 o'clock swill period.
First impression of a few females sitting around with a couple of others dancing with one another.
It appeared quite desultory until one ventured into the Gentlemen's convenience.
It was all go there with Jumped -Ship ex-matelots running their sly-grog outlets. Should the police appear ,the booze was secreted into the lavatory cisterns.
Later New Zealand permitted their bars to stay open to 10pm.
Nevertheless NZ was a great run ashore denied to present day personnel--even if they could get there- as RN ships are denied entry as they refuse to declare if they are carrying nuclear weapons. I remember we were washed down by fire floats before we could enter as we had passaged a dodgy sea area.

Dusty70

War Hero
Bistro in Pompey - caught crabs, I was 17 and living down the stokers mess on Exmouth - you can imagine the next 2 weeks, they murdered me

In NZ as above - there was a club where the strippers used to shave their pubes to Donna Summers 'love to love me baby' - weird how your memory gets jogged sometimes innit..............................

fishhead

War Hero
In NZ as above - there was a club where the strippers used to shave their pubes to Donna Summers 'love to love me baby' - weird how your memory gets jogged sometimes innit..............................
The things we lost when TV killed off variety shows :(

BillyNoMates

War Hero
Romeos and Juliets in Hull, part of what used to be two clubs in one building.
Another typical fun run ashore ends in a visit from the plod.

romeo-and-juliets.jpg

Why they didn't rename it Accident & Emergency I will never know.

colinmc400

Midshipman
Night Tragic in Dunfermline and Jackie O's were the go to's when north of the Forth and then there is the Palace in Rosyth. OMG was there ever a more retched hive of scum and villainy? Well no, apart from the night we saw the Damned in there.

Sumo

War Hero
Night Tragic in Dunfermline and Jackie O's were the go to's when north of the Forth and then there is the Palace in Rosyth. OMG was there ever a more retched hive of scum and villainy? Well no, apart from the night we saw the Damned in there.
Dunfermline, Waves come to mind, was the other the kinima, or something like that?

colinmc400

Midshipman
Somebody mentioned Pancho Villas in Dubai as well. This was in the Astoria Hotel, that the Mob in their wisdom, put a few of us up at in 1987, while we waited for RFA Diligence to arrive. They said we could book our food and drinks to the tab, while in the hotel, so of course that meant Panchos as well. Of course we didn't take the piss and firmly believed we had taken their instructions quite literally, even during the middle watch in the nightclub.

BillyNoMates

War Hero
Club E-Bola-Bola in Sierra Leone. Everyone who visited the place while on shore leave was ordered to wear a full NBCD suit. The chefs were exempt for some reason.

dance-club-fails.jpg
image.jpg228bc8a779569d83f42b3cfa338a8644.jpg7710ce5708dac85184ecaf9893e08ce8.jpg

BillyNoMates

War Hero
The Giro Bar in Sunderland. Every table had a cash point machine, so that all the single mums could get hold of their benefit payments at midnight on Thursdays.

girls-night-out-dancing.jpg

BillyNoMates

War Hero
Yates Wine Lodge, Bangkok. A favourite haunt for RN chinese laundry staff. This sort of thing often happened after a night on the barley wine, trapping a local gronk only to discover she had a bigger hard on than you.

nightclub-puke.jpg

BillyNoMates

War Hero
josign.jpg

This is Donna Kebab. She was the bouncer at the top of the stairs. When she retired the owners put up a fake tree in her memory. Hardly anyone noticed the difference.

PhotoPictureResizer_190829_115734694_crop_148x214.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S The Gash Barge 21
trelawney126 Current Affairs 1
babystew Diamond Lil's 4