Best/Worst Nightclubs and Bars

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Green Shutters in in Castleton which is the road leading to the Dockyard Gate, the Breakwater Pub was in the same area

That was Victoria inn
This was Clouds:
Clouds.JPG
In mid 80's it was owned by an ex-CPOPTI and his missus. They also had the Little Ship over the other side of the roundabout.
Forgot his name but she was 'Smoky' Morris - so called cuz she was from London. I think he got put away after he chased a bloke (who he thought was having an affair with Smoky) through a window with a shotgun.
My ex and I were part owners of Clouds at one point - until I thought it was wise to dissolve the marriage and bugger off to Guz.
Many years later the ex was the land lady of The Little Ship.

Happy days!!

The Church (or was it the Chapel) near Guzz in the late 80s. They used to do a wet T-Shirt contest for the local lovelies to enter. This frequently turned into full strips if they wanted to win.

The compare for this was a comedy DJ and you would not dare to stand or move around when he was talking otherwise you had the p*ss ripped out of you mercilessly.

I would put this down as one of the better pubs.

Boobs and Jos were legendary and though they were dives they still had a charm that appealed to many.

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
Waiting at the bar across the road for Jo Spanners to open (sad I know) and was sat at a table next to Suzi Quattro and her massive husband (base guitarist ?) - she was stunning in the day

1538567957556.png

The Church (or was it the Chapel) near Guzz in the late 80s. They used to do a wet T-Shirt contest for the local lovelies to enter. This frequently turned into full strips if they wanted to win.

The compare for this was a comedy DJ and you would not dare to stand or move around when he was talking otherwise you had the p*ss ripped out of you mercilessly.

I would put this down as one of the better pubs.

Boobs and Jos were legendary and though they were dives they still had a charm that appealed to many.
It was the Chapel, allegedly, so someone told me, especially good on a Sunday DTS, again, allegedly :);)

PedlarP

Lantern Swinger
It was the Chapel, allegedly, so someone told me, especially good on a Sunday DTS, again, allegedly :);)
Can't disagree there Wrecker

Was off in La La Land remembering the old watering holes I used to frequent in the 70's outside Drake/Guzz Dkyd (these pubs could fit into either category)...RNA, Avondale, Prince of Wales, Keppels Head. Decided to stroll down to Union Strasse on Google Maps Street View.

Now I agree back in the 70's it was far from tiddly, but it looked a damn site better then than it looks now. The buildings that housed the Grand, The Star, Diamond Lils, London Bar, Antelope etc. are very decrepit and dilapidated. We, the S126 crew, used to 'hang out' in the Sydenham Arms (now the Clipper Inn). Doesn't appear to have changed much on the outside at least. I see where Boobs used to be and it looks like the Top Rank looks boarded up, but the Two Twigs looks pretty much the same. Nevertheless, that part of Union Strasse seems to have faired better than the other side of the Octagon. I appreciate I'm recalling an era forty years ago. God (and everyone else) knows I don't look the same as I did when I was 23, but I think I'm holding up better than that part of Guzz!

Twin Twigs has finally shut. On Sundays, with limited opening hours, used to be the Chapel or the Star (in Unionstrasse) until closing, then a fast black to the Safari Club down the Barbican, at 4p.m. a fast black to the Fleet Club when the bar opened, then back to the Star when the pubs re-opened. When the pubs shut it was on to Commodores until it shut at midnight, although you did get free chips in the club as they couldn't open on a Sunday unless they served food.

Happy days and went to sea to dry out. I sometimes wonder why I'm still alive!

PedlarP

Lantern Swinger
Twin Twigs has finally shut. On Sundays, with limited opening hours, used to be the Chapel or the Star (in Unionstrasse) until closing, then a fast black to the Safari Club down the Barbican, at 4p.m. a fast black to the Fleet Club when the bar opened, then back to the Star when the pubs re-opened. When the pubs shut it was on to Commodores until it shut at midnight, although you did get free chips in the club as they couldn't open on a Sunday unless they served food.

Happy days and went to sea to dry out. I sometimes wonder why I'm still alive!
Remember them days :D better than I remember birthdays and anniversaries :rolleyes:

Happy days indeed ;)

Best forign bar for me was the Button bar Ft Lauderdale Florida. Pitchers of Long Island iced tea by barmaids in skimpy tops with their thruppnies hanging out. Oh Happy daze!!!

Last edited:
@WreckerL fleet club 4 O'Click club, brings back fuzzy memories.
Other option was DR A in guzz pop into CooP off sale and take a few bottles into the hoe, if you can out, fast black to fleet club.

1980s
Jackie “o”s Kirkcaldy. Bus from chochrane Thursday.
Dockyard club Rosyth.
GUZ all dayer, prince regent until 3, long bar next door until 4, fast black to fleet club, cheese and ham toasties , 6 fast black back union street......when boobs shut , into KFC bucket , BEBOB.
Flynn’s wine bar Newcastle quayside (regular for fish boats first pint)

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
Remember when KFC did the best ribs in the world ............................................................

on the Achilles for some strange reason we were affiliated to Pembroke Dock - was in the local nightclub one night with this 'bird' when another one bought me off her for a pint, bloody offended, thought I was at least worth a short..........true dit, no black cats round ere guv

Remember when KFC did the best ribs in the world ............................................................

on the Achilles for some strange reason we were affiliated to Pembroke Dock - was in the local nightclub one night with this 'bird' when another one bought me off her for a pint, bloody offended, thought I was at least worth a short..........true dit, no black cats round ere guv
Classy".......Dusty you cannot perfected your 2 step

Pussycat Bar, just around the corner from The China Fleet Club, and the Royal HK Police HQ. Got absolutely minging here in '73, whilst serving on the Antrim, Suzie%20Wong%20and%20Club%20Pussycat%20Bars%20Mid%201970's%20HK.jpg arrested in the gutter outside the CFC by a Female copper, married her when I got back to UK Sept that same year.

PedlarP

Lantern Swinger
Pussycat Bar, just around the corner from The China Fleet Club, and the Royal HK Police HQ. Got absolutely minging here in '73, whilst serving on the Antrim, View attachment 36433 arrested in the gutter outside the CFC by a Female copper, married her when I got back to UK Sept that same year.
I was a JOEM1 on the Antrim for the Far East trip and remember the Pussy Cat bar. Got a draft to Triumph in Chatham and had to leave Antrim in South Korea. On the trip back to UK ended up spending four days back in HK waiting for Crab Air flight. Nobody to tell us what to do...no Cinderella leave. Best part of the deployment ;)

I was an LMEM on the Antrim in '73 left from HK on crab air with a rating going to DQ's. Had to hang around in Brize Norton waiting for the reggies to turn up.

Ped's were you onboard for the test firing of Seaslug off Subic...two days of countdowns then missed the fuckin target by 3 miles?? I was a baby gollie onboard at the time, two years later I had a hook on my arm and no badge!!!!!

I joined Antrim in'70, Still building then. When at home base (Pompey) favoured hangouts, depending on which dockyard gate you went through, Ship Leopard, Ruby's or The Criterion. Or if you wanted to watch the weirdo's parading, The Albany!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S The Gash Barge 21
trelawney126 Current Affairs 1
babystew Diamond Lil's 4