Best way to stop if your car skids on the ice

When I lived in Scotland an old farmer gave me a tip when my Beetle got stuck in a drift. Just take some air out the tyres. It increases the surface area on the road and simple drive carefully.

The problem with ice is that the stuff just sneaks up on you! One second your fine and dandy next your pirouetting along the highway!!!!

Good luck out there, I'm going to do a few more laps with Forsa on the old xBox. Don't care if I skid in the safety of hte living room!!!!

As I was driving home about an hour ago, I started to wonder what the best way is to stop if you skid on the ice.

I could see that the snow had turned to slush and then to water; the outside temperature was starting to sink really low and the road surface was starting to look shiny, making me think that the water was now freezing into ice.

It's unlikely that I will skid on an urban road but, generally speaking, how should you stop if you go into a skid? Instinct tells me to slam my foot on the brake but someone once told me that this won't help.

Now that is worrying but not a surprise, you were out on the highway and you had no idea what to do in the event that your vehicle skidded on ice or snow. the mind boggles.

G

guestm

Let a drop of air out of your tyres (Not low profile) it helps grip, he say's sitting in the sun
If you want to kill yourself.

Tyre pressure drops in cold weather anyway, letting more air out is dangerous and can result in tyre damage or it leaving the rim. Bad juju.

G

guestm

OOPS finger fu*kup
Lowering the pressure is all very well on big 4x4 tyres which are designed for it but do it to car tyres and you risk knack wring the tyre wall. Not only that tyres below pressure can't self clean, you're actually making it worse.

If Iceland is anything like Norway I suspect they use winter tyres and snow chains.

If you do not know how to play properly in the snow then stay at home, it make travelling better for the rest of us?:icescream:

I can testify slamming on the brakes just screws the whole situation up. I would love to say I wrote my beloved Honda S2000GT off whilst flipping through a brick wall backwards because I swerved out the way to avoid a giraffe on the motorway. However, fact of the matter is, I was going 25 on a country lane, hit some black ice, started spinning and hit a tree with not even enough impact to set off the airbag. Absolutely embarrassing. The spin was only made worse by me hitting the brakes so I read up on this too and the best thing to do is to try to steer into it apparently! Who knew.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

I can testify slamming on the brakes just screws the whole situation up. I would love to say I wrote my beloved Honda S2000GT off whilst flipping through a brick wall backwards because I swerved out the way to avoid a giraffe on the motorway. However, fact of the matter is, I was going 25 on a country lane, hit some black ice, started spinning and hit a tree with not even enough impact to set off the airbag. Absolutely embarrassing. The spin was only made worse by me hitting the brakes so I read up on this too and the best thing to do is to try to steer into it apparently! Who knew.

Everybody know that, foot of accelerator and brake and steer into skid, still does not stop you hitting stuff just gives the best response time to recover control

Clearly everybody doesn't know that or there would be a lot less icy spins eh.
There will always be icy spins, it is just how you handle it that counts, and what you do re car speed and handling (no jerky or erratic moves) to help prevent spins and skids in the first place, bad road conditions is no place for the faint hearted or boy/girl racers, I was told how to handle skids by my driving instructor many many moons ago.

My bold. Seems to me like a fairly effective way to stop.