Best way to stop if your car skids on the ice

TheLastStoker

Lantern Swinger
#21
R12_CV said:
soleil said:
how should you stop if you go into a skid? Instinct tells me to slam my foot on the brake but someone once told me that this won't help.
Right, it's like sex; you learn from practising!

Find a nice quite back road (a disused ind estate / shut down chav estate etc) where the gritter wagon has been told not to go because of the salt draught.
Drive at a slow speed and slam the brakes on. Steer in the direction that you want to go. See what happens! You won't get hurt if your slow enough, then build up.
Eventually, what was really scary becomes really exciting...!
Note, dont try this on a motorbike......it still hurts!
 
#22
TheLastStoker said:
R12_CV said:
soleil said:
how should you stop if you go into a skid? Instinct tells me to slam my foot on the brake but someone once told me that this won't help.
Right, it's like sex; you learn from practising!

Find a nice quite back road (a disused ind estate / shut down chav estate etc) where the gritter wagon has been told not to go because of the salt draught.
Drive at a slow speed and slam the brakes on. Steer in the direction that you want to go. See what happens! You won't get hurt if your slow enough, then build up.
Eventually, what was really scary becomes really exciting...!
Note, dont try this on a motorbike......it still hurts!

Text book.....rear wheel drive, as above, turn into the skid and lift your foot.
Front wheel drive accelerate out of it. Easier said than done. :twisted: :wink:
 
#23
Rumrat said:
Text book.....rear wheel drive, as above, turn into the skid and lift your foot.
Front wheel drive accelerate out of it. Easier said than done. :twisted: :wink:
Trickier for you, because all the vehicles you drive have had the steering lock smashed off, thus making the steering even more unreliable 8O :D
 
#24
the most effective way to stop a vehicle if it is fitted with (working) ABS is to hit the brake and keep it pushed hard down, ignore the "chattering" from the brakes as this is the system doing it's job, you can also steer whilst braking, the ABS is basically "cadence braking" but done mechanically as opposed to the driver doing it. Google <abs braking> and see "How stuff works" for a full explanation. hope this clears up your question.
 
#25
Topstop said:
The other thing is our estate backs on to a council/housing association estate with a through road so why the fcuk do they grit the that part and not all the way through :evil: :evil:
My apologies, the council did not grit the Council/Housing Association estate, aparently the local scalies aquired the grit and the lorry and did the job 8O

Comunity Service in advance of sentencing if caught? :)
 
#26
If you don't want to skid.... don't brake.

But in all seriousness, try and use the engine braking as much as possible, especially if descending hills. Lock the brakes and your fcuked. I would rather be traveling a little faster than i would like but with control than sliding sideways into a hedge :p
 
#27
wetanduseless said:
If you don't want to skid.... don't brake.

But in all seriousness, try and use the engine braking as much as possible, especially if descending hills. Lock the brakes and your fcuked. I would rather be traveling a little faster than i would like but with control than sliding sideways into a hedge :p
8O You STILL got ice down the west ho??

......Or are you just a little late in clocking-in this year :roll:

:twisted:
 
#29
wetanduseless

I'm glad that you added to this thread, because it reminded me to say that I am grateful to everyone who has added to it to give me their advice on what to do if you start to skid on the ice.

I didn't have any problems during last winter's cold and icy weather, but I have read all the advice very carefully and will be more confident re what to do if I should skid on ice when the snowy weather comes round again.

Thank you guys.
 
#31
clanky said:
labrum said:
Pull sharply on the handbrake, hard lock away from the skid, close your eyes and shout weeeeeee!!!
Exactly the method I used today. My ABS was chattering like a 3 badge parrot and I wasnt slowing down fast enough. lucky I had plenty of room. 8O
I have tried it as well. The entertainment value can hardly be overestimated.
 
#32
Crabman said:
clanky said:
labrum said:
Pull sharply on the handbrake, hard lock away from the skid, close your eyes and shout weeeeeee!!!
Exactly the method I used today. My ABS was chattering like a 3 badge parrot and I wasnt slowing down fast enough. lucky I had plenty of room. 8O
I have tried it as well. The entertainment value can hardly be overestimated.
Wont work on a SAAB, handbrake works on front wheels.

As one of the lads who had one found out when he tried to do a handbrake turn. 8O :D
 
#33
Topstop said:
Crabman said:
clanky said:
labrum said:
Pull sharply on the handbrake, hard lock away from the skid, close your eyes and shout weeeeeee!!!
Exactly the method I used today. My ABS was chattering like a 3 badge parrot and I wasnt slowing down fast enough. lucky I had plenty of room. 8O
I have tried it as well. The entertainment value can hardly be overestimated.
Wont work on a SAAB, handbrake works on front wheels.

As one of the lads who had one found out when he tried to do a handbrake turn. 8O :D
Only works once on a classic Range Rover (handbrake works on the gearbox). Doh :oops:
 
#34
The roads seem to have become very icy in the last couple of days, so I thought I would give this thread a bump just to remind everyone of all the useful advice which was given to me in response to my original question.
 
#35
soleil said:
The roads seem to have become very icy in the last couple of days, so I thought I would give this thread a bump just to remind everyone of all the useful advice which was given to me in response to my original question.
Made I laugh... :oops:
 
#38
From the Police Drivers Roadcraft Manual (the nights just fly in, in my house!)

"Skids are caused by excessive acceleration in poor weather, excessive breaking or coarse steering. Remove the cause......remove the skid....simples!"

Rear Wheel Skid - steer in the direction of the skid.
Front Wheel Skid - steer in the direction of the skid.
4 Wheel Skid - steer in the direction you want to go.

In all cases de accelorate or de clutch. If ABS has kicked in close eyes and shout "Please god don't let me die"
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
#39
Last I heard on the subject from an "expert" was drive in as high a gear as possible, use the right foot controls as though there's an egg between your foot and the pedal.

If you are skidding, the wheels aren't turning anyway and most cars have ABS so keep the pedal depressed and steer the way you want the car to go.
 
#40
Wish someone would tell that to the wazzocks over here who don't know how to drive on snow and possibly are so old they should have their licence revolked!
 

Top