Best way to stop if your car skids on the ice

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by soleil, Jan 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As I was driving home about an hour ago, I started to wonder what the best way is to stop if you skid on the ice.

I could see that the snow had turned to slush and then to water; the outside temperature was starting to sink really low and the road surface was starting to look shiny, making me think that the water was now freezing into ice.

It's unlikely that I will skid on an urban road but, generally speaking, how should you stop if you go into a skid? Instinct tells me to slam my foot on the brake but someone once told me that this won't help.

2. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

3. Generaly speaking if your going to skid you will skid.But drive steady dont go any lower than 2nd dont over excelerate .If you skid try steer the opposite way to your skid and DONT BRAKE .But i hope you will never find yourself int his predicament it is a hairy experiance .People can bang on fore evey but it is a gut feeling(instinct)to do those things :)

4. Apply a very small amount of power (or de-clutch) in order to rotate the wheels and take advantage of any traction to allow you to engine brake and steer (applying brakes whilst skidding, unless ABS won't let you control the vehicle) . Guide the car into the softest object you can find, or keep going until you find a clear bit of road; under trees is often sheltered and will enable you to gently apply the brakes and slow you down.

If you get a chance get onto a supermarket carpark and practice with your vehicle because with modern traction control you may gain more confidence in applyng the brakes and leaving the brains of the car to figure it out for you.

Skidding more than once on any normal journey is God's way of telling you that you should have stayed put. :wink:

5. Pull sharply on the handbrake, hard lock away from the skid, close your eyes and shout weeeeeee!!!

6. Sheilas' Wheels Insurance ad at the bottom of this page :roll: :D

Oh, it's gone :?

7. I prefer to hit the nearest pedestrian - it does less damage to the car :wink:

8. In another life whilst doing an advanced drivers course I was told that you should drop the clutch and steer out of the skid and the ABS will do the rest. Also try to pull away in second gear and if you brake make sure its done by applying brake, foot off apply brake etc until you stop. I think it was called cadence braking.

Hope that helps. If all else fails I look good in a flori jacket!! :D

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Cadence Braking - i.e. drop to lower gear, ease off the power and apply the foot brake in hard but quick bursts. This will reduce your speed and apply traction to the road's surface. You will then be able to steer away from the danger and into a safe direction.

An example of which is here, filmed when I conducted skidpan training last year in Norway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFvthJT95Wg

:thumbleft:

10. As above. I got in before you.

Bender!! :D

11. Exactly the method I used today. My ABS was chattering like a 3 badge parrot and I wasnt slowing down fast enough. lucky I had plenty of room. 8O

12. Good drills, but more speed, narrower gaps tomorrow to receive the full benefit!

13. Urban roads, those closest to most peoples homes, is where they are most likely to come a cropper.
    Our car a Seat (equipped with ESC, ABS and a few others) has a brilliant paragraph in the instruction book, a masterpiece of Spanish logic it says:
    Nothing fitted to this car can defy the laws of physics - an awful lot of drivers should remember this one when they set out on any journey, let alone one the majority are ill equipped to deal with.
    Nothing personal but it also depends on where you are, what is fitted to your car (and that you have become skilled in using - most people back off when ABS starts to take over, the old 'don't let the wheels lock' from the days of the Morris Minor are pretty deeply ingrained) and basically, how much room you have left yourself.
    Clearer field of vision, wider field of fire - never a maxim more true than when driving.

14. Hit the brakes but not too hard if you have ABS as you don't want that to kick in, you want all four wheels to lock up. :)

15. Possibly one of the biggest problems is that the majority of drivers who've passed their test in the last 20-30 years or so have rarely - if ever - had to drive in conditions like we're currently experiencing.

There's been a gradual de-sensitisation to how the car actually operates due to many technological improvements over the years, (power steering, ABS, traction control etc) leading to a lack of "feel" IMHO.

16. logged on for the old man[still not here] to see if anything was posted re.polo shirts, so you can have his cold weather tip if you want.
    Every winter here on the Borders he always takes the weights off the garage doors and puts them in the boot,never has any problem with ice and snow to any degree.
    'course he will get some but on the whole the extra weight keeps the rear wheels down so I guess any weight will do the job.Sean
    PS I'm not encroaching on the group,when the shirts are paid for I'm gone,just passing on a tip.

17. Its not stopping thats the problem, its getting moving. On the way home today I stopped to get a paper at the Onestop. Flat road only a slight camber, came out and tried to move off. the slightly warm tyres had melted the ice abit and refrozen. Having Goodyear F1 Eagles on didnt help either, semi-slicks bugger all grip exept in contact with the road. Had to dig out the 2"of ice once moving no problem.

Any sugestions for better tyres next time?

The other thing is our estate backs on to a council/housing association estate with a through road so why the fcuk do they grit the that part and not all the way through :evil: :evil:

18. Slip an anchor and lay a cable and a half

19. There is always the old naval maxim when you run out of room:
    If red and green you see in front, then full ahead and ram the ****..

20. Right, it's like sex; you learn from practising!

Find a nice quite back road (a disused ind estate / shut down chav estate etc) where the gritter wagon has been told not to go because of the salt draught.
    Drive at a slow speed and slam the brakes on. Steer in the direction that you want to go. See what happens! You won't get hurt if your slow enough, then build up.
    Eventually, what was really scary becomes really exciting...!