Best way to look after a spent 4.5 shell

Guys,

Not sure if this is the right area but i have been given a spent 4.5 shell from one of my WE mates and I intend to have it in my flat but i was wondering should i brasso it or just give it a wipe and leave it be??

Appreciate any advice

cheers

lgu

(granny)

Banned
Book Reviewer
I presume that you mean a 'shell case' ? Then Bluebell and a load of elbow grease is the order of the day.

Last edited:

(granny)

Banned
Book Reviewer
Cartridge case granny?
A moot point Seaweed. I always associated cartridge CASE with fixed ammunition. With the separate ammunition we used, I thought a SHELL case. There has been a lot of water flowed under the bridge since my days in the RN so I am happy to be corrected. (That is IF I am wrong, of course... ) :D

A moot point Seaweed. I always associated cartridge CASE with fixed ammunition. With the separate ammunition we used, I thought a SHELL case. There has been a lot of water flowed under the bridge since my days in the RN so I am happy to be corrected. (That is IF I am wrong, of course... ) :D
I would guess, reading between the lines of the OP's words, that he's talking about about a 4.5" Mk.8 which would make it fixed ammunition.

Of course, it could be a spent clearing charge... :grin:

What did the mob do with the spent cases, were they recycled?, Cambridge must have got through millions, and there must be a mountain of scrap iron 7 or 8 miles off shore.

When a ship de ammod in Pompey the empty Cartridge cases were taken into Priddys Hard and then transported up country to be recycled and forwarded to a filling station. It would be the same for Cambridge, except the Cartridge cases would be returned to Ernesettle.

When a ship de ammod in Pompey the empty Cartridge cases were taken into Priddys Hard and then transported up country to be recycled and forwarded to a filling station. It would be the same for Cambridge, except the Cartridge cases would be returned to Ernesettle.
After a shoot on a GMD we used to hoof the empties overboard. Woe betide anyone caught wih one.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
stan_the_man Blue Jokes 0
S Miscellaneous 0
rosinacarley The Gash Barge 37