Best way to look after a spent 4.5 shell

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by lgu98141, Jun 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guys,

Not sure if this is the right area but i have been given a spent 4.5 shell from one of my WE mates and I intend to have it in my flat but i was wondering should i brasso it or just give it a wipe and leave it be??

Appreciate any advice

2. Chuck it out of the window and claim the ship rolled.
  3. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I presume that you mean a 'shell case' ? Then Bluebell and a load of elbow grease is the order of the day.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  4. Gen dit, Cillit Bang.

That is all.
  5. Everyone doesn't have to follow in your footsteps you know? :grin:
  6. I use brasso on mine. Maybe once a year or so.
  7. Whatever - just don't let the Pikeys see it.

Take it to the scrappy yourself!
  8. After the Brasso, put some car wax polish on it. Mine still looks tiddly 8 years since its last elbow greasing.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Cartridge case granny?
  10. I like that idea.
    I actually put mine up on a lathe to polish it. But assume most people do not have access to something like that.
    Car wax, nice idea.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  11. I put my six incher in a lathe then turned it down to two inches, now I stub fags out on it...
  12. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

A moot point Seaweed. I always associated cartridge CASE with fixed ammunition. With the separate ammunition we used, I thought a SHELL case. There has been a lot of water flowed under the bridge since my days in the RN so I am happy to be corrected. (That is IF I am wrong, of course... ) :D
  13. I would guess, reading between the lines of the OP's words, that he's talking about about a 4.5" Mk.8 which would make it fixed ammunition.

Of course, it could be a spent clearing charge... :grin:
  14. What did the mob do with the spent cases, were they recycled?, Cambridge must have got through millions, and there must be a mountain of scrap iron 7 or 8 miles off shore.
  15. When a ship de ammod in Pompey the empty Cartridge cases were taken into Priddys Hard and then transported up country to be recycled and forwarded to a filling station. It would be the same for Cambridge, except the Cartridge cases would be returned to Ernesettle.
  16. After a shoot on a GMD we used to hoof the empties overboard. Woe betide anyone caught wih one.
  17. When I worked on Canberras we used brass starter carts, there was a montain of them next to squadron line. Would be worth a fortune these days.

Attached Files: