Best way to go about joining,

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by warrmr, Dec 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Afternoon all,

I have spent a little bit of time going through the RN website looking into different avenues to join. A little background on me
    Im a 24 yr old male working within the IT industry. I currently hold a MCP for windows XP and server 2003 and am getting a little fed up with office work as it is no where near as involved as i would like to be.

I have been looking on the RN site and the job I would love to go in as is a Information Systems Engineer officer because it looks like a very interesting job.
    Now there is a very small problem of the UCAS points, Please finish reading this before you jump on my back. I know the RN wont let me join as an officer without those points so i have been looking at local colleges that do A-Levels to see what they can offer but all of them appear to be 2 year courses.
    Now considering it will take me 6 months or so to get up to the fitness level that the navy require then maybe another 6 months to get through the application process that will make me 25. Would it be better to apply and join as a rating and then work up to officer that way or is it worth the risk of spending 2 years doing A-Levels making me 26 applying and then risk having to wait up to 1 year after the AIB to get in, which may make me to old.

What would the equivalent rating role for a Information systems engineer officer?

also how did you guys streamline your outgoings to meet the 50% rule for outgoings on joining up. As if I cut mine down to the bare minimum it still hits around £700 monthly outgoings

£450 mortgage/service charge
    £126 car loan
    £40 car insurance
    £40 mobile phone contract.
    £30 laptop payment
    £60 credit card.

Now I would expect in 12 months I could easily pay off a large chunk of my credit card and move my laptop payments to that card.
    And I could sell my car and get a cheaper one as it will be sat around for most of the time if I were to join so that would save some money.

I am yet to goto an AFCO I will be doing that in the new year when they open up again after the christmas break.

and a question for the doctor, A few years ago I was quite stupid and used to do Cocaine I have since stopped and have been clean for 2 years now. But while i was doing it i had a little scare where i was admitted to hospital with Supraventricular Tachycardia which is a form of arrhythmia of the heart. Was put on an ECG and some medication to reduce my heart rate back to normal. This I couldn't see as being a problem for entry providing that during the medical if they put me on a ECG it comes back as being normal. The only problem I can see is that on my medical note given by the hospital they put down Cocaine induced SVT.
    Do the navy doctors get a full copy of my notes and do I have to declare this on my application and if so will it be a bar to entry as i have not touched any drugs since that day.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

According to the reference book BR3, Chapter 5 Article 0533 Summary of Officer entry standards (Engineer) E(IS):

You need to be <32 years old (although I think this may have been reduced to 30). As well as the 5 GCSE’s (including maths & English), 180 UCAS points from at least two non-overlapping subjects, taken in either 1 sitting or no more than 13 months apart, each contributing unit scoring no less than 45 UCAS points. You must have a Computing/ Engineering related Degree & normally some post grad experience.

Personally, I'd view the lack of A Levels as a significant problem in achieving your goal, rather than a small one. There is no direct equivalent ratings role to E(IS), the nearest is ET(WE) & it has a two year waiting list to join at present. Fitness-wise, the Royal Navy pre-Joining Fitness Programme works on the principle the average individual can get themselves fit enough to join in 8 weeks rather than 6 months.

With regards outgoings, if you join as a graduate entry Officer, your starting pay is £29,006 p.a. If you join as anything other than a graduate entry officer, it doesn't take Einstein to figure out how to reduce monthly outgoings, starting with ditching the iPhone contract. Those qualified to join as an Officer are advised to do just that as it's the only way to guarantee being an Officer - any other method is possible but significantly less likely.

On the subject of previous medical conditions, when you fill-out the recently introduced Medical Questionnaire before undergoing the medical examination, you must sign a consent form allowing the Royal Navy access to your medical records, so witholding your drugs related medical condition would be folly.

The Armed forces Drugs Policy, as you maybe aware, states the following:

Whilst you do not mention convictions, it's worth being aware the following convictions make a candidate ineligible for entry. (again, BR3, chapter 6, Article 0618

Best of luck.
  3. Ninja,

Thank you That is just what I was looking for. Where did you find the information regarding needing a degree as well as the ucas points and if that is the case i may as well give up and go in as a rating because 2 years for A-level + 3 years for degree would make me 29.

and it is good that they wont penalise you for a misjudgement you made in the past providing it doesn't affect you going forwards.

No i have no convictions which I am very thankful about considering the types of people I used to hang around with.
  4. Ninja is serving and AFCO based hence knowledgeable about such things. However if you want further proof the RN website lists as qualifications for Information Systems Officer the following:

Qualifications - A recognised first degree in a computing-based subject, 180 UCAS points and five GCSEs (A* to C)/ Scottish Standard grades or equivalent, which must include English and maths.

The role is a very specific one and they don't take on many a year, they therefore expect you to come with much of the required knowledge, demonstrated in the form of a relevant degree.

It is the case though that some Officer roles do not require a degree, you might want to consider these if you don't meet the criteria for the IS role. They do all however still require the same number of UCAS points.
  5. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

This has a familiar feel to a number of other threads. Is there any anglers who could tell me how long a hook lasts?
  6. Do you mean like this thread

I am genuinely considering joining, depending on if there are any colleges that will help get me through the required a-levels that will enable me to go in as an officer then brilliant. If i cannot get the required points for entry then i will go in as a rating.
  7. Another point to consider is that if you will be 29 after A levels + Degree you will be 26 after A Levels. The upper age limit for Warfare Officer, Air Traffic Control Officer and Aircrew Officer is 25 which means without a degree you will only be left with Logistics Officer to apply for (upper age limit 31).

Logistics is the highest pass level at AIB I believe and even if it wasn't it might not be your scene, what i'm getting at is that unless you can get the A levels done before the age cut off then it is an awful lot to go through to be limited to one job role which you may or may not get or even want to do.
  8. warrmr

Which subjects are your GCSEs in?

9. This is the answer I was afraid of. Logistics isnt my cup of tea I would much rather be fixing broken things. I have always dabbled with electronics and computer systems I have also always serviced my own car. So a job that brings together things that I enjoy doing in my off time would be the perfect job.

I will see what they say at the AFCO on tuesday ( providing there open) But judging by Lonestars post the chance of being an officer is slim to slimmer.

@soleil my GCSEs are

A English Language speak + Listening
    BB Science Dual award
    C Maths
    C English Language
    C English Literature
    D Media Studies
    E French
    E D&T Wood Working
  10. The AFCOs won't be open again until January 4th 2010, AFAIK.

BTW, do you know where your nearest one is?
  11. I think I see a problem here.

And taking enough coke to bring on an SVT requiring emergency and ongoing treatment is commitment to say the least!
  12. Doc what would be the problem with having a GCSE A grade in Speaking and listening, it comes As part of the English language C grade I listed butis listed seperatly on the certificate so I always put it seperate if asked.

Andin regards to the coke the only treatment needed was some meds in hospital and an overnight stay noting ongoing. It's something i'm not proud of and not wishing to repeat the less said about it the better really. I only mentioned it as it is a worry that it could be a bar to entry when filling out the application.
    But as ninja has said if I declare it and it hasn't had any lasting effects then I should be fine.
  13. Ninja_Stoker

It's probably worth re-iterating the drugs policy doesn't indicate that habitual use of a Class A drug or indications of drug dependency are "fine", in actual fact they can be grounds for rejection besides the medical implications. Re-read the 5th paragraph of the policy:

Also, it's worth pointing out that an offence doesn't always result in conviction, but remains an offence.

Speaking & listening also involves reading & understanding. By my reckoning, there is the "very small problem" that you maybe one GCSE, two A Levels & a degree short of being eligible for E(IS) & potentially ineligible due to a history of habitual drugs use.

Other than that, providing there are no medical issues & the selection process is successfully passed, all should be fine pending security clearance.
  14. Do I take it that AFCO stands for Armed Forces Careers Office, Yes this is a genuine question.?
    Wouldn't a visit to one of these be the first port of call? At least in a recruiting office you will, hopefully, speak to some one with a 'finger on the pulse' and hopefully have all the answers.
    Asking these sort of questions on a forum such as this is tantermount to a whole load of 'muppet' and ill informed answers.
    I'm sure most peoples answers are well meant but sometimes not always correct.
    Before I joined up I visited the RN recruiting Office had a bloody good chat to the the guys in there and took away enough reading material to last me a life time.
  15. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Poly Ninja works in one of the AFCO's
  16. Ninja_Stoker

To be fair to the original poster, the fact the Armed Forces Careers Office (AFCO) is closed over the Christmas break has been acknowledged in the initial post as the reason for posing the query online.

In the interim an unofficial forum with the medical opinion from a serving Naval Medical Officer (angrydoc), official publications hosted on the RN website together with random guesses from a serving Careers Adviser will have to suffice. :wink:
  17. Ninja,

I'm sure you are aware, but none of the publications on that website actually work... It looks like they've downloaded the entry portal from the intranet without downloading the entire thing. I should probably complain, but frankly I've given up hope on the RN Web Site.
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Hmmn, I have admin access on the RM Forum part of the RN website, but thought everyone could click on the download link to the publications, click on "Enter Book" then go to the "Contents" page.

Can you let me know if you cannot go to the other reference book links in the second post on this thread?
  19. Ninja - all I can do is download the front page, and then can't find the rest of the book (for all of them). Being a thickie, I can't get firefox to open the pdf in a new tab/window and remain open....
  20. Ninja_Stoker

I have a spooky feeling it maybe a problem with Mac, regardless which browser is being used (I run on Firefox too) because it seems fine on Windows - perhaps fellow PC users can confirm they can access it?

Funnily enough it seems all Officers & potential Officers use Mac & the rest of us use microsoft :wink: