Best way to do the 2.4k

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by LeTache88, Jun 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey,

I have my PJFT in just under 2 months, I have been getting myself ready for it for a while now and I worked out that if I run from start to finish at 12kph I will reach the 2.4k in the 12 minutes required, However I would like some opinions on the best way to do it, should I start at 12kph for 12 minutes or should I start at a comfortable but fast pace like 10kph and finish the last 2 or 3 minutes on a faster sprint to reach the 2.4? I am worried that if I do the 12kph way I might wear myself out too quick. what do you think? how did you tackle it?

as always any (sensible :wink: ) advice is greatly appreciated.

2. If you have two months then train for it, use methods such as fartlek training, hill sprints etc. Personally it's 12 minutes work, just grab some balls and go for it.
  3. It's a mile and a half not a marathon.

Grow a pair and just run.
  4. Hello,

I've recently been training for the same thing, so perhaps I can help out. Firstly the forum for health and fitness:

is very useful for tips etc.

The run is on a treadmill so it might be worth getting some experience running on one, I have not done so myself yet though.

Have you done any practice runs yet? That's really the only way that you are going to know how far your stamina will take you.

I used this website:

in order to plan my run, it really helps doing it in a local environment which you know well as the distance seems shorter as a result.

For myself I set out at the pace I was to maintain the entire race, and if I felt myself slowing down I would just push harder; then in the final 150m or so I would sprint to the finish.

A word of warning - don't push to hard as these are only practices and give yourself a few days afterward to let your legs recover. Additionally make sure to warm up and warm down.
  5. I would just like to mention that my third option and main option is just to start and don't stop no matter what, I should of known by now to mention that first :) I just wondered if anyone had a decent way of tackling it, though I 'spose any plan is going to go to shit and I will be left with plan A, which seems to be the best way apparently. The way i'm looking at it is this, when I start its either 12 minutes or another year!

I have balls, really really nice balls.
  6. I don't mean to sound facetious but it's 2.6km or 1.5 miles!

I broke down my distance into sections and found it easier to run to meet these shorter consecutive goals. Just bear in mind the average speed you need to complete it in the required time, and try and run faster than it.

Run it often, build up your running muscles, and your cardio, and come the day you'll do fine (plus a bit of an extra kick from nervous adrenaline).
  7. You don't. You sound stupid.
  8. thanks for the advice, I've heard everywhere that it is 2.4 not 2.6 how sure are you?
  9. Oh yeah, and I always practice run the day before a race or test as it improves my performance, personally. Try it for yourself as a test.
  10. Dude, go on the Navy fitness requirements website, it says in plain English that it's 2.6km. Use a converter to convert 1.5miles into Kilometers, and also bear in mind that I've done the PJFT where I had to run 2.6km exactly, which was in Feb. That's how sure I am!

Don't worry. Keep training regularly, eat right, you'll be fine.
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  11. This is alot of effort for something that requires 12minutes of running. Just man up and run it!! Seriously though, read through the links in this section, you will find enough information in them to help.
  12. Actually, you're right, it is 2.4km! Duh! Sorry, been a long day!

13. 2.5 Kilometers = 1.55350 Miles
  14. Way to state the obvious!
  15. Might I also add, time is relative... Run too fast and you may indeed end up finishing years too late. That's a fact. Ask Einstein.
  16. At least you admitted it with good grace :thumbright:
  17. I also rub vaseline on my inner thighs and nipples to avoid chafing.
  18. That could work for when you run as well.
  19. I didn't think of that. You're smarter than you look. Definitely smarter than I look.