Best source of information about the R.F.A?

Discussion in 'RFA' started by C.Morgan, May 8, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey all.

I was wondering what the best source of information about the rfa is. I've had a look on toysoutthepram and gunline. Is there any other websites or such on which I can gather info on. Im looking for info on history,ships in service,current deployments etc etc. Just want to soak up as much info as possible haha. Any and all help is much appreciated.

Best regards.
    C.Morgan.

2. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Look at the main RN website which links through to the RFA, get hold of Navy News, marinetraffic.com can show you where the ships are at present, if they are transmitting, or last known position so you know roughly where they are. Wikipedia despite its fault does have a lot of info on all the ships, past, present and future.

3. Thanks very much

Best Regards.
    C.Morgan.

4. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Two books; 1: No Sea Too Rough
    (No Muff Too Tough) and 2: The Royal Fleet Auxiliary are good buys.

There is also an RFA chapter in the Naval Review's book, Dreadnought to Daring.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thank's much appreciated.

Would the information in these book's be relevant to the the interview? I am no where near getting an interview as of yet I just want to get as much info as possible and know the best sources.

Best Regards.
    C.Morgan.

6. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

My thoughts...

Don't go overboard, pardon the pun, but certainly show you're keen, you've done your research and you've good reasons for wanting to join.

Areas to look at:
    Current ships: number of, different classes, their roles, complement, weapons fitted, what they're doing and where.
    Future vessels: number of, class, role etc.
    Personally, I didn't go too in-depth historically.
    Basic RAS (Replenishment At Sea) knowledge.
    What else the RFA does. It's not just a floating garage for the RN.

Why have you chosen the job you have? What does it involve?

YouTube has videos available for a little more info. Look up TwoSixTV too. For starters, here's one: http://youtu.be/K2rdI8UF0KE and here's another: http://youtu.be/B5xMY8n35pk think of it what you will...

Don't forget the HR side of interviews, examples of teamwork, stress, achievements and "what would you do if/in/when."

I'm sure others will offer their advice.

Good luck.

7. Pretty much as every one else has said - are you looking at applying as a rating or an officer and qualified or non-qualified? The answer to that can help people tailor their advice to you.

8. The role I have been looking at applying for is assistant steward. Non qualified.

Best regards.
    C.Morgan

9. Then other people are much better placed to advise you than me - good luck!