Best Sandwich/Roll?

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by seafarer1939, Feb 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Pretty quiet in the local last night so someone asked which was the best sandwich/Roll filling.
    Bottle of plonk for the tastiest.
    Mine was.
    1.Sirloin steak with crisp fried onions and chillies
    2.Five Spice Pork with chilli relish and the bread/Roll dipped in the dripping before filled.[had to ask the wife to put that in as 1 go per.]
    A Norwegian blue water fisherman said "Pickled herring with gerkins!" bloody barbarian never went home after the Vikings left.
    Probably been done before but it is in the Gash Barge and all were sick of the Middle East topics,nice rolls etc seemed more interesting.Got One?
  2. Nothing fancy simple egg and bacon, you just cant beat it.
  3. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Bacon, black pudding & tattie scone with a dash of HP on a Mortons crispy roll.
  4. My Missisus Home made maple roast ham and green tomato chuteney. MMMMMMMmmmmmm!

Failing that Ham, egg and mayo salad with salt and vinigar crisps.
  5. Very crispy bacon, lettuce and avocado with mayo. I'd walk over a super-model to eat one.
  6. Corned Beef,Onions,Tomato Ketchup & Pickled Egg,great.
  7. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Christmas dinner leftovers; turkey breast, pigs in blankets, stuffing and a large dollop of mayo.

OR good old corn dog and Branston pickle.
  8. Hi Breather,
    Cancelled due to being snowed in for a month,we still made a donation to H4H but not as much as we I wanted.
    We are looking for a new theme to raise cash for them,as we sit at the bar,drooling and incontinent not bothering to look at the crackling standing at the bar,we are struggling for ideas.
    BTW,two strapping rugby type type players walked in with two smashers last night,they ordered two pints of Guinness and two tomato juices,the men drank the juices and the girls drank the Guinness!We are doomed!
  9. BTW Muff doesn't count!
  10. Cod fish fingers, mushy peas and vinegar in Warburtons doorstep.

Masham country herb sausage in a Morrisons Yorkshire flatbread ( flatbread is the size of a dinnerplate).
  11. Banana, drizzled with clear honey and served on thick cut wholemeal bread. :hungry:

12. Coronation chicken on/in anything - roll, wholemeal bread, whatever! Simply delish, but must have sultanas in!

For you cultural pygmies out there, it is left over chicken (breast is best!!) shredded, then mixed with mayo and curry paste/powder and of course - sultanas!! Sandwich of Gods! The T45 team's caterers in Scotstoun used to do a good version - broke up the interminable meetings......

If at home, have it with a very cold medium white.............. yum yum yum!!!

Failing that MDV sarnis at 4 o'clockers!!!
  13. Maple cured bacon, sausage and possibly some fried onion on it too. mmmmmmmmmmn. Pig overload :)
  14. Unless served with ketchup
  15. Jam Sandwich :)
  16. Oh dear, I guess thats life - But not as we knew it, Jim...... :sighs nostagically:

Favourite Sandwich? Thickly sliced wholemeal bread & Lurpack unsalted butter for a 'Three-er' thus:

Bottom slice - Lightly buttered then overlaid and over flowing with crispy rindless Danish bacon (smoked).

Middle slice - layed atop of the bacon after having both sides thinly spread with Tomato Sauce, no less.

Then two large eggs fried together (with cripsy whites, but soft yolks) & laid atop of that second slice.

A generous scattering of coarsely ground black pepper over those eggs before covering with the lightly buttered Third slice.

Best consumed with a couple of sheets of kitchen roll to hand; avoids the all-present risk of Banjo actions and the associated laundry.

Note 1. If 'tis to be preceded by tinned Grapefruit segments and accompanied with mushrooms then it must be Sunday.

Note 2. Should the bread show any signs of green growth, or the eggs taste just a wee bitty fishy, then switch to red lighting and commiserate self by calculating the hard-lyer monies due to you at endex.

17. Bacon should taste of fish too.
  18. Only if sourced from Norni-land.

Not, as I specified, Danish smoked :smile:
  19. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Don't suppose they have green bread nowadays Bob, nothing like a daily diet of penicillian, kept us heathy. For the fussier ones their slice of bread got smaller as the trip went on.