Best run ashore town/city you visited.

JedS

Midshipman
Apart from Pompey and Guzz (JOKE!!!!!) what was the best town or city you visited for a great run ashore? I had some brilliant runs in Cape Town, Singers, Hong Kong and Mombasa - haven't we all? However, that said, my favourite 2 were Bergen (Norway) on Phoebe (frigate) and Bayonne (Basque region of south-west France) on the Andrew (boat).

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Halifax, Nova Scotia was a brilliant run ashore.

Cardiff was a good one as well.

Last edited:

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
Had a good time in Accra, Banjul, Lagos and Monrovia during the Civil War.
About 20 Caribbean islands all blurred into one big rum-fest....

Eventually got to Hong Kong last year, very disappointed, very expensive and crowded.

Falmouth always a winner.

BigD1980

Lantern Swinger
Norfolk Beach, Virginia
But some of my best runs have been the Embankment weekend.
After the Parade straight to the Church then onto backpackers for some dentist chair action very messy but top run.

Bermuda, Puerto Rico and in the UK I would say.....in fact I cant think of one I would say was the best or really that good :(

Swidvin in Poland was good only because we were on a fortune in daily subs and the place was cheap as chips.

Don't remember that, however I was still mostly "socially confused" in the mornings :)

One thing that did stick in my mind was the Polish Air Force guys kept thanking us for visiting, it meant that they all finally got new uniforms that they had been waiting for.

BillyNoMates

War Hero
Panama City. Evil as all Hell and the only place I have ever been
that had a combined nightclub/pub/brothel and a go-kart track
out the back.

El Ferrol del Caudillo. A few beers and a visit to a bull fight.
What's not to like?

Sao Vicente. The place where I purchased a hoofing big sea shell
for a souvenir, only to find it wandering round the mess in the middle
of the night. The locals had omitted to take the fu**ing big crab out
of it.

Haifa, Israel. Where myself and several other crew members were
ushered out of our hotel swimming pool at gunpoint.

Dusty70

War Hero
Singers in Terror barracks while decockying - who remembers 'who wantsa da feckinah peanut' - did the dry cleaning overnight

Some truly memorable (or not) Barbies on uninhabited islands in Indian Ocean - Christmas Island (I think) with British Legion and Watneys Red Barrel an hour into the jungle

Hull and Liverpool in the 80s

Australia and NZ in the 70s when just opening a door and being polite for the Ladies got you anything you wanted..............

Paxman_Valenta

Lantern Swinger
Kieler Woche (Kiel Week) - 2015. Wasn't sober for five or so days, just drank beer and watched scorpion tribute acts. Bliss.

Cardiff was also brilliant and also (oddly) Montrose.

Wightsparker

War Hero
Berkhamsted, Tring, Linslade.......OK, I'm making them up. But the matelots who operated the RN's narrow boat flotilla may well have had some good runs ashore on the Grand Union in the early to mid 70s. An interesting experiment by DNR and DPR(N) - can't remember if it did much for recruiting, though.

Jacobus

War Hero
Hull. There for the bridge opening. Managed an all nighter with some bird and her mum ( I kid you not.. both essence, and a hell of a night for even one of the more uglier men in NATO, such as I was) and the local plod even gave me a lift back to the steamer in the morning. Even stopped off for a hot cup of sweet reviving tea and a bacon barm. Community policing at its best.
Oh and Grytviken... not.

fishhead

War Hero
Manila, Philippines . Something for everybody. Cheap drink,very entertaining exibish, loose women and dog breath in the morning from eating some kind of meat on skewers from a kerbside vendor. Oh, and a visit to the San Miguel brewery by way of a little culture.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P BEST RUN ASHORE The Quarterdeck 34
Ships_Cat Best Run ashore ever? The Gash Barge 1
PartTimePongo 'My best run ashore' History 87
D best way of prerparing for 2.4k run? Joining the Royal Navy 10
G Best Run Ashores Submariners 26
CRYSTALTIPS Best and worst run ashores The Gash Barge 55
Sea_Dodger Best excuse at the table when being run? Diamond Lil's 24
J Best roles for overseas opportunities. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
R Medical questionnaire, best practice. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS New £3.3 million fund to give babies from deprived areas or BAME backgrounds the best start in life MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government launches Health and Care Visa to ensure UK health and care services have access to the best global talent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Reforming UN peacekeeping to best respond to global challenges MoD News 0
NavyStuff2020 Post Removed (As best as possible) Joining the Royal Navy 25
MoD_RSS A ceasefire and cooperation with the UN political process is the best defense against the devastating effects of Covid-19 in Yemen. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS How ONS changed workplace culture to get the best out of cloud MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DBS Digital win Best Use of Customer Insight Award MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Best of British on display at the Day of Diplomats, Turkmenistan MoD News 0
soleil FB: The Sun's Military Awards - Best Reservist Category - Sub Lieutenant Imogen Napper Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
soleil FB: The Sun's Military Awards - Best Reservist - Winner - Lieutenant Commander Tracy MacSephney Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
MoD_RSS Awards open to recognise best practice in making regulation work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Boost for UK science with unlimited visa offer to world's brightest and best MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Treorchy crowned "UK's best" in the Great British High Street Awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Microchipping your pet is the best New Year’s resolution you could make MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A greener Christmas is the best present for the environment. MoD News 0
N best type of exercise for injured person Health & Fitness 9
slim Electric Cars Anyone Own One? Which is the best type to Buy? Current Affairs 21
O Post 16 and the best pathway Joining the Royal Navy 5
MoD_RSS DASA seeks best Scottish innovators at Highlands roadshow MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Competition launches to find best quality early years apps MoD News 0
MoD_RSS MHRA launches consultation on how to best engage patients and the public MoD News 0
MoD_RSS We need national debate on rare diseases to offer the best possible care MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: HMA Simon Collis send his best wishes in the occasion of Eid Al Fitr MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: KTP Best of the Best 2019 winners announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Joint statement on the UK-U.S. marine technology SME best practice exchange MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: London seminar: Offender to Entrepreneur Sharing best practice from the USA in enabling individuals to develop a crime free future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Glasgow medical firm showcases the best of UK life sciences sector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Intellectual Property Minister speaks of the importance of ensuring UK IP remains some of the best in the world MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM celebrates best of Wales at St David's Day reception MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Taking on the best: Ministry of Defence Police show sporting prowess MoD News 0
C Best time to arrive at FAT's? Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS Press release: Whitehall loses one of its best and brightest - Charles Farr MoD News 0
J Best ships to deploy on Joining the Royal Navy 12
MoD_RSS News story: London seminar: Offender to Entrepreneur Sharing best practice from the USA in enabling individuals to develop a crime free future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Making the best use of small contractors MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Making science work, together: how can we build the best possible future for science, research and innovation in the UK? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: British Bike exports soar as the UK's best head for Manchester MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: World-leading projects in UK aerospace: funding for best ideas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Matt Hancock: NHS needs to widen search for best leaders MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: GLD named one of UK’s Best Employers for Race MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Crickhowell High Street crowned "UK's best" in Great British High Street Awards MoD News 0