Best places visited while serving?

10 weeks there - my only vague recollections are smashing RNLO's golf cart into the side of my trailer park home several times, bombing about in a beat-to-shit pussers landrover, the 1000 Fathom Club and gettin'
eaten alive by Doctor flies. The beach bar was my second home and my Sunday routine was a helo flight to Nassau in a Blackhawk (I think) to deliver fags and alcohol to the Britrep. Helo pilot was an ex Vietnam veteran who was a complete lunatic. Also used to go "off base" to Skinnys Night Club which was an education
in itself. Best Loan Draft I ever had bar none.

Last edited:
10 weeks there - my only vague recollections are smashing RNLO's golf cart into the side of my trailer park home several times, bombing about in a beat-to-shit pussers landrover, the 1000 Fathom Club and gettin'
eaten alive by Doctor flies. The beach bar was my second home and my Sunday routine was a helo flight to Nassau in a Blackhawk (I think) to deliver fags and alcohol to the Britrep. Helo pilot was an ex Vietnam veteran who was a complete lunatic. Also used to go "off base" to Skinnys Night Club which was an education
in itself. Best Loan Draft I ever had bar none.

jambosun

Lantern Swinger
Best: Manilla, Hawaii, Atacama Desert, Tallin, Kota Kinabulu, Kathmandu, Maputo, Oslo, Panama City, San Diego, Accra, Singapore

Interesting but wouldn't go back: Sierra Leone, Afghanistan, French Guyana, Ivory Coast

Worst: Bangladesh, Faslane

Best UK run for me was Torquay. We smashed in a massive rig run after doing Freedom of the City of Exeter and had a JR's cocktail party onboard which attracted so much fanny, we had to start turning the PAS boats around because we were exceeding the MCA safe working limits for personnel onboard.

Even the Can Man and Chogey were fending off the bitches with a shitty stick.

I ended up trapping a bird called Karen, went back to her's and turned up the next day 2 hrs adrift with my 1s covered in dog hair.

No one cared, everyone else was adrift too.

A couple of lads even stole a canoe and rowed out to the ship because they missed the PAS boat.

Epic epic run.

Best UK run for me was Torquay. We smashed in a massive rig run after doing Freedom of the City of Exeter and had a JR's cocktail party onboard which attracted so much fanny, we had to start turning the PAS boats around because we were exceeding the MCA safe working limits for personnel onboard.

Even the Can Man and Chogey were fending off the bitches with a shitty stick.

I ended up trapping a bird called Karen, went back to her's and turned up the next day 2 hrs adrift with my 1s covered in dog hair.

No one cared, everyone else was adrift too.

A couple of lads even stole a canoe and rowed out to the ship because they missed the PAS boat.

Epic epic run.
ahahaha! brilliant.

Best run? Too many to choose from. Hawaii, Vancouver, Ft Lauderdale, Freemantle, Shanghai, Tonga, Boston, Odessa spring to mind but also the likes of Singers, Hong Kong, Sydney ... ah happy days!

Worst run ... Dar el Salam (Tanzania) was pretty dank ... Maputo would have been had it not been for the pool party at the Aussie embassy compound (via the USSR compound by mistake).

If you get on JSF there will be loads of trips to the USA for live firing, red flag and bombing.

China lake (Bombing)

Point Magu ( missiles)

Red Flag ( Vegas baby)

I would say the new carrier is bound to do a global sales trip. Show her off etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you get on JSF there will be loads of trips to the USA for live firing, red flag and bombing.

China lake (Bombing)

Point Magu ( missiles)

Red Flag ( Vegas baby)

I would say the new carrier is bound to do a global sales trip. Show her off etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that would be amazing, i'm constantly reminded by ex AET'S in work about how good of a time it is to join the fleet air arm. unfortunately for them they couldnt get jobs in the aviation industry due to the qualifications at the time not being recognized in civi street.

ive actually got family not far from there so it wouldn't be too bad i suppose. however id take the US over sunny scotland any day!

Never got Stateside in the Andrew but have been several times since; New Orleans was a massive disappointment during Mardi Gra. Spent loads of time in the Far East though thanks to Pussers' generosity. Perth 1962 on the 'Big A' was by far the best run ashore and was closely followed by Okinawa, Subic Bay (Manila), Mombassa and Bangkok. Bombay and Karachi you can keep. Ghent (Belgium) has fond memories as does Amsterdam, Naples and Sicily. I was COMFEF staff in Terror for 18 months and spent a year on the Dartington out of Singers & Borneo. Wish there was a Navy for pensioners, I'd sign on tomorrow

(granny)

RIP
Book Reviewer
I have a vague memory of us 'old and bold' having dreams of manning our own ship.....one was for sale somewhere and we decided to declare war on Spain or something ?? Can't remember the thread title. :D

RomanyRanner

Lantern Swinger
I've always liked Gib but one of the best was Halifax, Nova Scotia. Our hotel even put on a leaving party for us.

Karachi was the worst although Alexandria wasn't much better, just didn't smell as bad!
Quite enjoyed Alexandria.
Found a bar called the spitfire bar.
It looked like the crabs had left in the early 50's and the staff were waiting all this time for us to stumble into the place.
Walls covered in WWII memorabilia. Great place.

Best - Almost all of my year (2000) as STANAVFORLANT Staff - New Orleans, Halifax, Rekjavik probably get the top 3. 2 lots of 6 months in Sarajevo were fantastic. Always loved the Falklands. Over the last few years meetings in Hawaii, Japan and Auckland were great too. So much so that I decided to live in the latter.

Worst - The memories fade. Salalah in ARK in 03 was so bad I went back onboard but that may have been frame of mind. Bari numerous times in 93 and 94 never really grew on me, and never really thought much of Brest either.