Best places visited while serving?

Discussion in 'Travel & The Great Outdoors' started by CDW22, Aug 31, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm just curious to what peoples favorite places were while serving?

2. Far East. Australia , West Indies, Americas.
    Too many to list.
    Easier to state the worst. Karachi and Djibouti.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Kenya best.

Djibouti worst.

4. I was duty in Djibouti.

Singers - best place for me by far.

5. I had a small ships run-ashore in Kinlochbervie, one of the best runs I've ever had. Nearly everyone in the village came to the pub and we pretty much drank it dry.

6. Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  7. best- i have enjoyed Rio de Janeiro, New York, Seychelles or Mombasa the most.

Worst- 'Djiboutiful', with honourable mentions to every 'dry' Arab country I've visited.

8. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Rio de Janeiro, Ocean Island (now called Banaba.) First time in Hong Kong 1957. Many more but those three stand out.

9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Never overlook the UK, places like Bristol, Falmouth and Middlesborough spring to mind, it doesn't matter where you go its what you make of it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. couldn't agree more!

• Like Like x 1
  11. I loved Gdynia was a really good run ashore.

I have a very deep hatred for Portsmouth as my worst. Literally has nothing going for it at all.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Best uk run was Preston in 1974.
    Lancs cops looked after us for the few days there.

13. San Francisco, San Diego, Acapulco, Barbados, Malta, Gibraltar, Bergen, Copenhagen, Charleston-South Carolina, Fort Lauderdale, Cape Canaveral, Florida Keys, Malta, Gibraltar, Haakonsvern, Tenerife, Sao Vincente, Haifa-Israel, Hull, Birkenhead, Ipswich, Nassau, Andros Island (10 week loan draft), Corfu (x 3),
    Falmouth (Stingray trials), every tiny island in just about every Loch in Scotland, Brest, someplace in Spain
    where we went to a bullfight, up the pole, San Carlos water, Bermuda......and any place else that I got to go to for free.

I never got to go to Singapore or Oz - which I'm thoroughly pissed off about. Maybe when I retire I'll give 'em a go.

p.s. By my reckoning, I went to Gibraltar approximately 55 times in 22 years. Anyone top that?

Billy.

14. AAF

AAF Badgeman

Olongapo best , Tunis worst.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Apia, Western Samoa. south sea island paradise closely followed by Adelaide .I've wiped the worst one's from my memory banks

16. I've always liked Gib but one of the best was Halifax, Nova Scotia. Our hotel even put on a leaving party for us.

Karachi was the worst although Alexandria wasn't much better, just didn't smell as bad!

17. Oh - forgot to mention Helensburgh. Can't imagine why.

18. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Cork was good, I vaguely recall.

19. Was that because LOA back in the day started at your first stop, and didn't stop until your last stop?

20. Andros (AUTEC) in the Bahamas, a beach bar and a beach like a Bounty advert, only had 24 hrs there.
    Although Cocoa Beach during "Mid Spring Break" was --------- Ooo spoiled for choice.
    Liverpool in the UK.

• Like Like x 1