Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Best Nicknames

Once knew a CPOSA who everyone, even the skipper, called him Thrush cos he was an irritating cnut!! I had the pleasure of telling him what it meant half way through a deployment. deep deep joy

We had a Can Ass on the Nottingham circa 91-92 who was known as 'Pythagoras' due to his inability to add up the total of more than 3 items. The lads used to take full advantage by buying shedloads and only being charged about 2 quid for the lot.

Enjoyed serving with the following....
Had a wren LMA called North yard because she had a camel's head
A WEM Ball who was affectionately known as bollock
Wren "easy" Ryder
A marine clerk called Clark
Cocky Roach
CPO "Kiddie" Viddler
Matelot's being so sympathetic as well, worked with a guy called "fingers" cos he had lost a couple

D108 said:
I was called Bogey and whilst I new every person with my surname was called that no one could tell me why

Bogey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Bogey-man was a devil derived from the Slavic bog, "god." English cognates were bugabow, bugaboo, bugbear and boggle-bo which used to designate the pagan image carried in a procession to the May Day games. (see Maypole) "Humbug" came from the Norse hum, "night," plus bog or bogey, i. e., a night spirit. The word "bug," from the Welsh bwg, "spirit," was applied to insects because of the old belief that insects were souls in search of rebirth. A mantis was a soul of the seer or wizard. A butterfly was Psyche, or a Female Soul.

Other derivations of bog were Scotish bogle, Yorkshire boggart, English Pug, Pouke and Puck; Icelandic Puki; the Puk of Friesland; the German Putz or Butz; Irisk Pooka and Welsh Pwcca; Danish Spoge and Swedish Spoka with theirEnglish offshoot of "spook." The old English puca, a fairy, was applied to the old gods of Beltain. So Puck was the same as the witches’ god Robin. A.G.H.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the Bacchante we had a stoker called slazi when I asked him why the reply came `because they reckon my head looks like a rugby ball` and it did can you imagine some one you could fit in a passers beer fridge and shut the door with the shelves left in you’ve got him, so many stories about this legendary figure in the late seventies

Not actually a nickname, but a fabled Master chief at Panama City on the SDV project when We were 'acquiring' the beast. His gen name was Chief John W*nker. For some unknown reason his nickname was Blue. Any number of amusing conversational gambits,
"So Chief W*nker of the USN, bet you had to beat off some stiff opposition".
How he used to look forward to the next visit from Royal -
"Yes sir, I am The Chief W*nker!"
A difficult man to shake by the hand!

MiniCooper said:
My all time favorite is still "Syh" Ellis.
Our Fleet Chief stoker (a right twot) was aptly named Syph for the same reason!

A sprog I worked with recently was nicknamed Gold Fish;
Twice around the bowl and he's forgotten what you've told him.

Another lad called Tennant was n/n Lieu....took him months to figure out why!!

what about Dave Gash
When piped for told the qm its pronounced gaish, so while at sea the qm piped gaish may now be ditched.

A naval airman beckett called Dhoby

wren purple headed people eater - her hair was dyed purple & .. you can guess the rest

There was (& probably still is) a MUPPET (MW/AB) in the early 90's last seen as a Killick known as Button Head. Previos Cox'n in his medical capacity at sea had sown a button on to a head wound, plaster over the top............
Sickbay went mental. Think he was a 'Nobby' in fact.

SILVER_FOX said:
We had a lad on Cherry B in the late 80's that we called WAN. His surname was CARR. No explanation needed on that one I think.

:lol: That reminded me of an LWEM Submariner I was on a PJT with a few years ago who went by the name WAN

Surname was King!!!

Latest Threads