Best Naval Computer Games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PartTimePongo, Feb 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry , but Microprose's ' Silent Service II" does it for me.

'USS Cavalla vs the War Fleet' - very nearly did for my degree, trying, night after night to set up the perfect 'firing solution and run away bravely' scenario

• Like Like x 1
  2. I had a copy of HARPOON around somewhere, all that cold war, North Atlantic, ASW, convoys malarkey, I'll have to dig it out and give it go !
  3. Sucb command with all the mods.
  4. Jane's Fleet Command was always a favourite for me.

Doesn't work on my new system though :-(
  5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

If you are now using XP there is a download on the net that lets you run the game, if I can find it I will post it. Agree that is one of the best around
  6. That'd be mint. The number of lost hours and frustrated punches that have gone into that game is incalculable.
  7. Somebody gave me Harpoon2 some years back - about a dozen floppy disks I think! - and a thick manual. Seemed particularly biased against any military hardware that wasn't US made - when involved in a NATO Task Force they were just fodder as far as the designers were concerned. Good 'game' principles though.

Similar with Fleet Command, but I'd also been a bit annoyed that aircraft weapon loads couldn't be changed around as the scenario moved on. I loaded a 'patch' that I thought was meant to correct that and ended up with only AAW weapons being loaded for second and subsequent missions, though it did allow ships to select their own air targets. Same old fixation about non-US kit being basically inept.

Tried "Tom Clancy's Submarine ..... something" once - dreary.

Wanted to try Silent Hunter 2 but it needed 3D graphics I think - which don't have. I'll probably give Silent Hunter 3 a go on my next puter.
  8. janner

This should take you to the patch, it worked for me, there are various patches on the site including variable weapon loads for the aircraft. A great shame that the follow on game has been shelved
    The original silent hunter is the best for me tho I haven't yet had a go at SH3
    To give the Brown jobs a chance try Imperial Glory, be warned it can take over your life
  9. Tried a couple, Destroyer Command, Silent Hunter11 and Sub Command, took some getting into at first, but then it was plain sailing LOL
  10. Try the website.This will send you to the sites you are looking for.Nobody has mentioned Dangerous Waters but it hasn't officially appeared this side of the pond yet.P-3,Seahawk,Perry,and a variety of submarines including Kilos are all drive able
  11. 688 Attack Sub was a cool game but a tad long in the tooth now.

12. Cheers, Janner....... though I'm still on Win98 (yeah) and it's Win2000/XP, so I'll have to wait until I upgrade in a few months - I think I got the updates from 1999 that your link mentions.
  13. Theres "Action Stations" just Guns and torps. Based on ships from 1921 to 1945. Non of those areoplanes to mess it all up. Bit of a hand full as its quite old, but its free. here
  14. Brill game , shame aint it .
    Wish it could be upgraded
  15. janner

It will work on XP if you load the patch

16. Downloaded the Jane’s patch and game now up and running, only problem now is I have no time to myself what with this website and the game

Sorry it to take so long to say thanks
  17. Although I am not familiar with the games named it seems they all involve modern naval warfare. Question! does anyone know of a PC game that is built around sailing ships?. Trafalgar the obvious one with the Amarda and even ficticious sailing ship battles would be interesting. Just a thought as the blood and guts of those days seemed more realistic than the unseen long distance warfare of today.

18. TY sussed out a few already and your tip is a good start , checking Ships of Sail