Best military Books

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by lsadirty, May 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What's the best war book you've read ? A lot have been made into films, which haven't done them justice or totally bolloxed them up, so this is a pure literature question. To start you off in no particular order of merit:
    The Cruel Sea - Montserrat.
    HMS Ulysses - Alistair McLean.
    From Here To Eternity and The Thin Red Line - James Jones.
    Any others worth a look ?
  2. Chickenhawk - Robert Mason
  3. David Omissi

Sepoy and the Raj
  4. Best military books?......heavy ones that you can throw at the trainees....
  5. BR1982B
    Best cure for insomnia ever
    used to send me to sleep in an instant!
  6. First into action
  7. 'The Cage' - True story of a Brits account of his time in Vietnam and as a PoW
  8. Best war reading for me must have been my divorce papers.

So long ago but such happy days!!!
  9. If I'm relaxing, anything by : Clausewitz, Jomini, Machiavelli, Mahan, Corbett or Moltke.

For in-depth hard thinking, probably Sven Hassel (the walt :threaten: )

On a slightly more serious note, I've always liked 'The Forgotten Soldier'

Only just finished tonight 'One Hundred Days' (Sandy Woodward), presume most on here have already read it, but thoroughly recommend it to those that haven't.
  10. Rumour Of War.--- Philip Caputo!!

He was no Walt.
  11. Just finished '11th Month, 11th Day, 11th Hour' by Joseph E. Persico (2004) Random House, regarding last day actions (some even last hour "Over the Tops") of WWI, although American the author doesn't harp on (too much) about how they saved our bacon. Good background history of WWI as well.
    Before that I read 'Boy Soldiers of the Great War' by Richard Van Emden (2005)
    Headline Book Publishing, quite harrowing account of lads as young as 12-13 years old signing up for a bash at the 'Hun'.
    I recommend them both.
  12. Good one about the Falklands is 'Don't Cry For Me Sergeant Major'.

Haven't read it myself but heard great reviews about it.
  13. The devils guard about German SS soldiers who joined the foreign legion and fought in Indo china. Excellent book and an insight into how these men operated.

14. Devil's Guard by George Robert Elford ( German SS veterans on the run after WW2 join the French Foreign Legion )

Red Storm Rising ( Tom Clancy )
  15. Rules of engagement, by Col Tim Collins. Brilliant read. Spoke to a couple of Irish Rangers last year on the Mighty "O" as they were hitching a lift to Dublin on it. They say he's a brilliant bloke. Still works in the background to help his old regiment, even after the MOD royally shafted him.
  16. The Decisive Battles Of The Western World - JFC Fuller

Fiasco [The American Military Adventure In Iraq] - Thomas Ricks

The Seven Military Classics of Ancient China - Ralph D. Sawyer

Giap - Peter MacDonald

Bomber - Len Deighton

Flyboys - James Bradley

Trafalgar - John Tremaine

Afghanistan [A Military History From Alexander The Great to The Fall Of The Taliban] - Stephen Tanner

House Of War - James Carroll ...Highly recommended***

17. Bravo 20 - couldn't put it down.
  18. Check my post above oppo. great minds think alike!!
  19. MMM Andy McFlab, loved by the Regt and welcomed to Hereford with open arms (not) Cessna you a "Black Rat" mate?? Might be stating the obvious but then again maybe not