Best 'Jack' Radio show

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Ageing_Gracefully, Mar 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The BJF ( which for the crude amongst you does not stand for what your think) but the Best Jack Film is running well. But what about the funniest radio (wireless, crystal set - whatever) show; must have been Round the Horne. The bit about the Navy Lark with Wren Heather Chasen and all the other characters. I spent, as a pongo, many a Sunday afternoon laughing my bollox off to this (nowt else to do with them in that location).

10 degress starboard Pilot. "Aye Aye Sir", (then to the actual driver) "Left hand down a bit". Classic. (Leslie Phillips was the nav) who else were cast members, John Pertwee?

Who was Wren Heather was that June Whitfield?
  2. The Goon show always got a great reception. Still get a good laugh playing my tapes of the show
  4. Having done my Mids year on HMS Troubridge I met the Navy Lark cast once as they regularly visited the ship to get new ideas for the show.

Certainly the most popular radios show to listen to in boats during the late 60s and early 70s was the Goon Show.

6. Who can forget the fantastic "Educating Archie" The only ventriloquist act on Radio. You could never see his lips move try as hard as you could. Could not be topped.

7. Would have been amazed if you could see his lips move considering he was on radio, Nutty

I had a tape recorder and the skipper got me to record the Goon show which was replayed while cleaning the boat on Saturdays
  8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

9. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Jeez Nutty - did they have iron ships in your day? :wink:
  10. I was the last scribe on HMS Troubridge (of Troutbridge Navy Lark fame). She came home from the Med in early 1970 and sailed up the Thames to the Pool of London, berthed just beside Tower Bridge. All of the cast of the Navy Lark including producers, sound engineers and the scriptwriter - Lawrie Wyman - came on board for a pre-paying off pssup and party. HMS Troubridge then zig-zgged her way back down the Thames under the command of Captain CRV Doe, RN, who managed to get us safely back down the Thames and into Chatham even flying the paying-off pennant all the way....... :D
  11. Anyone heard Our Brave Boys on Radio 4?
    A relatively recent creation, but its writers must be regular monitors of ARRSE and PPRUNE ( the pilot's forum with a mil aviators bit). Very topical. Totally on the nail. Set in MOD and details the political shenanigans between our civilian lords and beancounting masters, and senior military officers. Of course, CPO Greaves is who really runs the show.
    "Brown sauce Maam, brown sauce."
  12. What about 'The Goon Show'? You could hear a pin drop in the Stokers grot when that was on. :lol:
  13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Late 80s, Radio One, Simon Bates doing 'Our Tune' during Stand Easy. If it was really emotional we'd be in tears, but if it was some dad sack who'd been ditched by his missus, then we'd be p*ssing ourselves laughing!!