Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Best fish movie nomenclature

Hi all, hoping someone can shed light on this phrase. As my name suggests I’m not in the service but curious.

In the movies you often hear the words to the effect “load torpedo tubes with your two BEST FISH”

was this phrase ever really used? Logic would say that the torpedoes are all made the same, run the same and they would be loaded in the order as they are stored.

Or are they the same? Could you tell if one torpedo would run better than another? If so how?

Any answers much appreciated, I’ve wondered for years

Hi all, hoping someone can shed light on this phrase. As my name suggests I’m not in the service but curious.

In the movies you often hear the words to the effect “load torpedo tubes with your two BEST FISH”

was this phrase ever really used? Logic would say that the torpedoes are all made the same, run the same and they would be loaded in the order as they are stored.

Or are they the same? Could you tell if one torpedo would run better than another? If so how?

Any answers much appreciated, I’ve wondered for years
Well, the practice one that ran up the beach and into the caravan park on Loch Long certainly didn't...:eek: Now waiting for more serious answers from the real professionals!

Jack

I wasn't an OA but I would guess the best fish were the newest and best maintained, which wouldn't include the Mk 8 that was fired on the ranges up in the Isles and scared the hell out of a bloke walking his dog along the beach when it decided to leave it's natural environment and take a walk up the aforementioned beach.

The skipper had a few words with the WEO about that afterwards :)

I wasn't an OA but I would guess the best fish were the newest and best maintained, which wouldn't include the Mk 8 that was fired on the ranges up in the Isles and scared the hell out of a bloke walking his dog along the beach when it decided to leave it's natural environment and take a walk up the aforementioned beach.

The skipper had a few words with the WEO about that afterwards :)

20220714-293132246_2245419175614480_3448234573175740968_n.jpg
Sitting, waiting patiently for the village metal detectorist to show up.

Mmmmm - we have SpearFISH and TigerFISH as recent torpedo types (though we refer to them as 'weapons' - torpedoes are the bad folk shooting at us.

On all the boats I served on the tubes were already loaded because torpedoes take up a lot of room. There were always reloads available but it wasn't a two minute job to get then loaded, set and ready to fire especially on boats of the WW2 era and earlier. As to whether a best one or two could be nominated I think it was unlikely.

Latest Threads