Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Best and worst

Worst - Cunningham-Fraser in Drake in the latter half of 2006. It was a building site, and I'm not using a simile, merely stating fact. There were demolition works going on all around, on the floors directly above and below, in the cabin next door (which contained access to one of those rather natty rubble chutes - God that was noisy), which was windowless (in that the windows had been removed) and had a constant stream of blokes with dirty boots traipsing in and out. They even worked weekends. The place was full of dust, as you can imagine, the heating was erratic, the water and electric was often cut without warning, there were only a handful of toilets and bathrooms left functional, the fire exits were locked shut (for safety and security reasons!) The fact that we were put in there was a disgrace, and whoever project-managed the transfer of cabins should be ashamed of the way in which they handled it. I only wish I had complained about it more vociferously at the time.

worst accom Gannet - lived in mizzen huts during the 70s, the crabs had there own special accomadation built & the wrens lived ashore until the new accom was built.

best scran - Gannet small numbers to cook for so always good, chrimbo dinner was the dogs.

Worst scran - Gannet when the PO caterer bought loads of compo after the falklands every meal was compo until the new jimmy walked in.
The Caterer lost his rate & drafted the following day. Fearless in roughers Hot metal platters potmess & ice cream by the time you sat down it was all running into each other (happy days) :)

Best - Anywhere in Canada. Stayed in transit accom 3 times and always had at least 2 double beds, fridge, microwave and a bathroom to make the hilton jealous. And thats all in a single cabin.

Worst - Anywhere here in comparison!

Best - Bootneck camp in Poole. Went there for Naval Gunfire Support course. It was all nissen huts but the scran was so good we asked if we could go round agen. Amazed faces said of course you can - it was that good. RAF Stanmore a close second.

Worst - Blackwood. Duty cook-of-the-grot came back empty handed when he should have been carrying breakfast for 12. When asked where it was replied "Ah, it was 'shit on a raft ' so I ditched it." (That'll be kidneys on fried bread for the gourmets amongst you.) A very hungry forenoon.

Oh, and the baby chef who somehow managed to burn the lettuce !!!

Hms Osprey we all lived in digs in Weymouth R/A out / not enough accomadation at Portland/ brill food/ great landlady /good run ashore /loads of Dorset birds my handsome/ to take back home. Makes all of my days at St Vincent seem like a bad dream :pukel:

Best and worst accom is HMS Nelson. The SLAM is ace but britania block is dire. (at least when your at raleigh in 30 man messes its clean)

Best food RMB Chivenor Worst food HMS Excellent.

Best ever :1970 HMS Forth POs mess, after a change of catering officer.Grub went from average to: Roasts- carvery service at the hatch, whole Salmon salads with all the trimmings(help yourself) ,wonderful. :thumright:

nobby0919 said:
Best ever :1970 HMS Forth POs mess, after a change of catering officer.Grub went from average to: Roasts- carvery service at the hatch, whole Salmon salads with all the trimmings(help yourself) ,wonderful. :thumright:

Now would that have coincided with the great catering swindle which resulted in the demise of the victualing branch :thumright:

I have very limited experience of Naval establishments, but from my RNXS days I definately liked the scran they served at RNC Greenwich, but Excellent (parade drill for Royal Albert Hall) was, I think, flavoured with cordite! I cannot remember the scran at HMS St Vincent (Whitehall Commcen) so it MUST have tasted like cardboard. :lol:

Did someone mention second helpings? :)

Best time ashore was in Excellent during the early ninety's when the mob was trying to run it down loads of make & mends but the food was minging :toilet:

best food Norfork Virgina :hungry:

Best was Furse House - catering mid 1980s by RN chefs/stewards so was actually good, location was great. Only problem was the parking fines! Fromwhat I remember Cochrane was OK too - but as I lived locally was never there for an extended period.

Reckon the worst had to be Nelson - living in Britania Block, bad food, indifferent (to say the least) service.

McC

...bouncy eggs, exploding rice pudding, cheese suitable for rubbing out pencil marks... :lol:

The best food I had was when doing my annual training (in my ROC days) in the RAF base where the Red Arrows were based (I think). BABY CHEFS - those steaks were wonderful, just melted in your mouth! :happy3:

Sadly when the RAFs Baby Chefs matured, their cooking seemed to go off.

Latest Threads