Best and worst

Tanzi

Lantern Swinger
Best - Bootneck camp in Poole. Went there for Naval Gunfire Support course. It was all nissen huts but the scran was so good we asked if we could go round agen. Amazed faces said of course you can - it was that good. RAF Stanmore a close second.

Worst - Blackwood. Duty cook-of-the-grot came back empty handed when he should have been carrying breakfast for 12. When asked where it was replied "Ah, it was 'shit on a raft ' so I ditched it." (That'll be kidneys on fried bread for the gourmets amongst you.) A very hungry forenoon.

Oh, and the baby chef who somehow managed to burn the lettuce !!!

Hms Osprey we all lived in digs in Weymouth R/A out / not enough accomadation at Portland/ brill food/ great landlady /good run ashore /loads of Dorset birds my handsome/ to take back home. Makes all of my days at St Vincent seem like a bad dream :pukel:

Best and worst accom is HMS Nelson. The SLAM is ace but britania block is dire. (at least when your at raleigh in 30 man messes its clean)

Best food RMB Chivenor Worst food HMS Excellent.

nobby0919

Lantern Swinger
Best ever :1970 HMS Forth POs mess, after a change of catering officer.Grub went from average to: Roasts- carvery service at the hatch, whole Salmon salads with all the trimmings(help yourself) ,wonderful. :thumright:

nobby0919 said:
Best ever :1970 HMS Forth POs mess, after a change of catering officer.Grub went from average to: Roasts- carvery service at the hatch, whole Salmon salads with all the trimmings(help yourself) ,wonderful. :thumright:
Now would that have coincided with the great catering swindle which resulted in the demise of the victualing branch :thumright:

I have very limited experience of Naval establishments, but from my RNXS days I definately liked the scran they served at RNC Greenwich, but Excellent (parade drill for Royal Albert Hall) was, I think, flavoured with cordite! I cannot remember the scran at HMS St Vincent (Whitehall Commcen) so it MUST have tasted like cardboard. :lol:

Did someone mention second helpings? :)

Best time ashore was in Excellent during the early ninety's when the mob was trying to run it down loads of make & mends but the food was minging :toilet:

best food Norfork Virgina :hungry:

McCloggie

Lantern Swinger
Best was Furse House - catering mid 1980s by RN chefs/stewards so was actually good, location was great. Only problem was the parking fines! Fromwhat I remember Cochrane was OK too - but as I lived locally was never there for an extended period.

Reckon the worst had to be Nelson - living in Britania Block, bad food, indifferent (to say the least) service.

McC

...bouncy eggs, exploding rice pudding, cheese suitable for rubbing out pencil marks... :lol:

The best food I had was when doing my annual training (in my ROC days) in the RAF base where the Red Arrows were based (I think). BABY CHEFS - those steaks were wonderful, just melted in your mouth! :happy3:

Sadly when the RAFs Baby Chefs matured, their cooking seemed to go off.

Worst food I can remeber was in the JRs dining hall at HMS Jufair, Bahrein. For locally recruited Goanese chefs they did a rubbish curry.

scouse said:
Hms Osprey we all lived in digs in Weymouth R/A out / not enough accomadation at Portland/ brill food/ great landlady /good run ashore /loads of Dorset birds my handsome/ to take back home. Makes all of my days at St Vincent seem like a bad dream :pukel:
We lived like that in the early 70`s, was on the Cutlass and had RA/Digs in Weymouth,Like Scouse couldn`t be beaten.

agree I lived in the Wetherby hotel for several years in the late 70's thru 82. Great rooms and a pub downstairs. 1/2 the rooms were singles, and we had a new TV room and dining room built by the owners who were very nice indeedy..........and you got a petrol allowance to drive top work!

Tanzi

Lantern Swinger
Anyone else notice that the drop in the standard of cuisine that coincided with the stoppage of tot issue. Or was I just hungrier with a bellyful of rum ? Shirley, some mistake.

For me, the worst food and accommodation has to have been Raleigh in the early 70s.

I remember the scran was usually dolloped on your plate by some morose civvy who seemed to think he held Naval rank and was entitled to abuse new recruits.
The wooden barrack blocks, as many will recall, were pretty grim.

The best food I had was at HMS Terror, Singapore. It was run by the ANZACS I think.
The accommodation at Terror barracks was pretty good for the time.

Food and accommodation at Dryad was also very good. I was never all that keen on the place though.

Give me a sea draft deploying to the Far East any day. That was why I joined up in the first place.

Grumpypickle said:
Any one want to share their best/worst experiences of shore based accomodation/food facilites etc and where ?
HMS Ladybird for those fortunate to be accommodated at the USN facility. For the Hands:-
Steak, Ice Cream, French fries galore ,Asparagus Tips and Cookies.
Back on board Ladybird?
Herrings in- tinned tomatoes- Heinz Sponge Pudding And that was in the wardroom.

This is not a military venue but The Flying Pig downtown, Amsterdam.Steer well clear. Lifts and corridors smell like widdle and I was expected to share a 4-bunk matchbox room with three blokes.Nice. 'And I change where exactly'?
Plus they cocked up the arrangements and hadn't got me booked in for the first night.

Taloolah said:
This is not a military venue but The Flying Pig downtown, Amsterdam.Steer well clear. Lifts and corridors smell like widdle and I was expected to share a 4-bunk matchbox room with three blokes.Nice. 'And I change where exactly'?
Plus they cocked up the arrangements and hadn't got me booked in for the first night.
Is that where the live shows were?

I wonder if I caught your slot?

LujonSA said:
Worst food I can remeber was in the JRs dining hall at HMS Jufair, Bahrein. For locally recruited Goanese chefs they did a rubbish curry.
I remember one night there. it really was bloody awful. Goanese are good, natural chefs but I rather think the Cmd Catering Officer and Chief Cook there at the time were engaging in things other than ship's catering-- to their advantage.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S The Gash Barge 21
E Diamond Lil's 50
trelawney126 Current Affairs 1