Best and worst run ashores

CRYSTALTIPS

Lantern Swinger
BLOOD - How could i ever forget that hell hole Dijibouti.

Had to fly back from there once, waited in their tin hut of an airport for god knows how many hours in the baking heat, in the middle of the night, just wanting to get to my bed!!!!!!!!!!!

A lot of knocking of Naples here I see.

I had a good run there, almost trapped a go-go dancer (now there's dating me now !!) from the USO club - until my oppo stepped in - the dirty swine :x !
Turned out she was from the UK anyway.

The only thing that was confusing was the Italians thinking we were US Navy :?

Did a good trade with the Elmers flogging off the Jacks and Ensigns as bed covers for them to use :lol:

shellbackmac

Lantern Swinger
Read in FHM few years ago that Mauritania in West Africa was worst run in world in their opinion, hate to be a dusky coloured feline but..............

Went to NOUAKCHOTT in said country on NEWCASTLE years ago, it is nothing more than suburb of Sahara with added rusting vehicles and lack of alchohol, so far so bad but being OD'S/skates you have to enjoy yourselves dont you... First off, loads of ships company spend hours splashing in Balmy Atlantic surf on sandy beach adjacent to berth..until screaming fisherman and local police arrive to clear water as is worst area for shark attacks bar South Africa. Next discover that as former French colony loads of expats get round alchol ban by having own nightclub and bar, full of twenty something single female schoolteachers and students. Needless to say in worst run in world several got their "Nat King Cole" all were totally wrecked for next to nowt and the RS topped it off by collapsing into the DJs expensive stack system and wrecking it.

Worst - Karachi, todays Pompey

Best - Pattaya (Thailand-enough said!)

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
Bristol90 said:
Worst UK Bristol (Docked in Avonmouth, which is a dump)
Bristol Centre can be brilliant, however, Avonmouth as you say is a place that is best avoided and is an absolutely abysmal run ashore; in fact duty as Qm is preferable to going ashore in Avonmouth.

I would have voted BRISTOL as the worst ever UK run BUT

Went uptown from Avonmouth to centre Antrim 76 treat like lepers and not allowed in most places, not welcome at all

Then dejected wandered into an area that was supposedly "no go" for whiteman
WOW
We were taken under their wing and treat like kings, wined , dined fed on the best T Bone steak, and entertained, music did not stop till around 06:00
(intitially frightened as been used like Mr Bean big Arfur that is, "their white bros wont even let them in da club man")
Free big motor back to Antrim

The best ever UK run ashore

Best foreign. 1. New York for Independence week celebrations, 04, Invincible
2.New Orleans Mardi Gras week, 83. Fearless 3. Rhodes, for 5 days, in June 91 on Fearless.
Best UK. Newcastle, alreet pet?

Worst Foreign. Djibouti, Brest (Good for a punch up though).
UK. Rosyth.

pingbosun

Lantern Swinger
shellbackmac said:
Read in FHM few years ago that Mauritania in West Africa was worst run in world in their opinion, hate to be a dusky coloured feline but..............

Worst - Karachi, todays Pompey

Best - Pattaya (Thailand-enough said!)
Can't understand you saying Karachi being one of the worst runs ashore, Went there a couple of times and had a ball each time.

It's definitely the place to drink beer, it cost 2/6d for a bottle of water, but only 2/. for a bottle of beer, and that was in the biggest of the hotels in the town.

Exchange rate was always good if you remembered to change your cash ashore, much better than letting the ship change it.

Only thing was the smell when they opened the sewerage gates and let the days crap [raw sewage] flow into the harbour at six o'clock every night, that was the "Balmy air that they write about in travel mags. They also towed a whale in and tied it up two berths ahead of us, for the tourists to see close up, after the first few days it started to deteriorate, but the

locals didn't notice it, after the two weeks we were there FWHWEEEE, it was almost floating above the water :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: The poor creature had surfaced in the same place as a 4.5 practice shell, hit the spot. dead as a dodo.

There were literally hundreds of them all in the Bay of Bengal breeding, another was caught on the bows of the RFA we were all fuelling off, [three ships] it was rapped round each side, it kept trying to lift it's head out of the water to breath, but after a couple of hours it got too weak and drowned. C :twisted: in C. wouldn't give permission for the tanker to slow down to let it get off the bows.

Some beautiful sheilas there, however their mothers never looked to hot. :lol: :lol: :lol:

pingbosun.

Run's Ashore....................

My best:-

1. Barbados
2. Antwerp (Belgium)
3. Key West (Florida)
4. Venice
5. Mombasa (Kenya)

My worst:-

1. Djibouti (Africa
2. Souda bay (Crete)
3. Belize
4. Brest (France)
5. Helensborough (Scotland)

Apart from "Homs" in North Africa, where we got stoned(with real stones) its on another thread somewhere, I`ve never had a BAD run ashore, some have been better than others , but a run ashore is the company you keep surely?.

pingbosun

Lantern Swinger
higthepig said:
Apart from "Homs" in North Africa, where we got stoned(with real stones) its on another thread somewhere, I`ve never had a BAD run ashore, some have been better than others , but a run ashore is the company you keep surely?.
Gotta agree with you "Hig", your company on the run ashore always makes the difference, if you went with some dead shits you couldn't have a good run ashore in a brewery.

Which reminds me, I spent the day after my 21st birthday in the "Tiger" brewery in Singapore,and with top company, all the TAS rates from the Salisbury, [we were all in the same mess] everyone really loved Tiger beer, and with as much as you could drink free, we did the Andrew proud: We were all blotto when we staggered out of there finally. :? :? :? :?

pingbosun

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S The Gash Barge 21
E Diamond Lil's 71
trelawney126 Current Affairs 1