Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best and worst run ashores

Best ? = I enjoyed them all really, some more so than others.
Worst ? = Hong Kong - got peed, argued strongly with the Redcap Patrol, disrated, debadged - not a good visit that time :cry:

Jack77

War Hero
They're all good, its just that some are better than others, but if I have to choose-

Best: San Diego
Worst: Auckland ( after six visits in the one year)

Best Aust: Hobart
Worst Aust: Perth

pingbosun

Lantern Swinger
Maxi_77 said:
pingbosun said:
NO, I never ever had a bad run ashore, Sorry!!! ,if you have had a bad run ashore you can only blame yourself matelol.

pingbosun.

I know what you mean, but their are places where it is less easy. :(

Aye Peter.

There are some places that you have to liven up yourself with the help of your mates, but normally Jack could have a ball , in a Nunnery, not that I've ever been in one lol

doug

angry_mac

War Hero
Best
Corfu 1993 (missed the ship sailing :oops: )
Cape Town 2000 (rest of the trip was West Africa :? )
Key West 2005 (Teasers open at lunchtime :lol: )

Worst

Gallipoli, Venice Italy

Most surprisingly good

Bordeaux
Agadir

creeper

Badgeman
Strange how Cambletown make it into many folks worst runs ashore.

Best - Hoodriver USA on UAV trails for 2 weeks.

Worst - any time in Cambletown.

pingbosun

Lantern Swinger
notafourknotfudgepacker said:
Best: New Orleans (for Mardi Gras)/ Curacao (for Camp "Legover")

Worst: No such thing as a bad run ashore - only bad "runners" :wink:
G'day all.

YOW mate right on the button.

pingbosun

sparkerbuntingnowcis

Lantern Swinger
Best : Cape Town, New York, W. Indies

Worst: Rio Grande (Brazil), Djibouti

UK, never had a bad run in the UK (from Hull, so I can't count that)

Runs ashore are few and far between now, just done 6 months down south, had only one good run and that was Cape Town, all the other visits were all the rocks in the Atlantic for one night at anchor and no night leave due to no boats running. Sorry had a couple of nights in Walvis Bay, Namibia which was okay.

Bristol90

Midshipman
Best Run Ashore 14 June 1982 Friederikshaven Denmark.....(ohh, Annika Laarsen where are you now??) :D :D

Wilmington, North Carolina

Worst Foriegn Naples, Izmir.

Best UK Swansea and Glasgow

Worst UK Bristol (Docked in Avonmouth, which is a dump)

creeper said:
Strange how Cambletown make it into many folks worst runs ashore.

Best - Hoodriver USA on UAV trails for 2 weeks.

Worst - any time in Cambletown.

Just shows your lack of adventure, mind you the crawl back to the NATO fueling jetty could be a bit of a bumber

HookieBuntz

Lantern Swinger
Best, all those that arent in the Worst!

Worst: Italy (all), Brest (got arrested for turning a car over, wasnt us but we were laughing at the police trying to get it upright), Campbeltown!! Alexandria.

Bristol90

Midshipman
I see that Swansea is coming up a few times as the best in UK. I had an absolute screamer of a run there in '82 whilst on the Arethusa. The only problem I had, was that my home town is just down the road and I had an invasion of aunts, Uncles, cousins etc....Bar bill went through the roof...oh happy days

Blood

MIA
Best: New York for Navy Week, tropicals plus Yankee ladies, what a run...

Worse: Djibouti, foul smelling dirty hellhole, just narrowly ahead of the Cape Verde Islands. Just thinking about that place makes me shudder.

Best UK: Newcastle, before they built that stupid bridge and you could get right up to Tyne bridge, not just at Spillers Wharf (with the exception of Capital Ships, where I never got past North Shields).

Worse UK Great Yarmouth in winter. A fish patrol stand off many moons ago, never again.

bigbaddog

Banned
Best: Barbados
Worst: Haakonsvern - Norway, bloody freezin'

UK: Hull (On subsistence but went home every night)

Chat_Noir

Badgeman
Best: Sydney - Bicentennial year '88
Worst: A shit hole in Saudi, can't even remember the name

Best UK: Edinburgh (Leith)
Worst UK: Campbeltown, although I did get a lift back to the fueling jetty courtesy of the local constabulary.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Best Smell worst Smell The Gash Barge 21
E Best/Worst Nightclubs and Bars Diamond Lil's 144
trelawney126 The Best Worst Job Somali Admiral Current Affairs 1
babystew best or worst jobs Diamond Lil's 4
F Draftie has been good to you.... Best and worst jobs in RN Diamond Lil's 29
G Best and worst Bases / Shore Est 39
F Worst TV Programme ever + the best everTV prog too........ Diamond Lil's 29
Good_CO Your best and worst bikes Motoring 40
slim What were your best and worst drafts in the RN Diamond Lil's 105
slim What is a. best job in the world? b. worst job in the world? Diamond Lil's 5
MoD_RSS New research reveals best investments to tackle learning crisis in vulnerable countries MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Being a Reservist is the best of both worlds MoD News 0
J Best roles for overseas opportunities. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
R Medical questionnaire, best practice. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS New £3.3 million fund to give babies from deprived areas or BAME backgrounds the best start in life MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government launches Health and Care Visa to ensure UK health and care services have access to the best global talent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Reforming UN peacekeeping to best respond to global challenges MoD News 0
NavyStuff2020 Post Removed (As best as possible) Joining the Royal Navy 25
MoD_RSS A ceasefire and cooperation with the UN political process is the best defense against the devastating effects of Covid-19 in Yemen. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS How ONS changed workplace culture to get the best out of cloud MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DBS Digital win Best Use of Customer Insight Award MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Best of British on display at the Day of Diplomats, Turkmenistan MoD News 0
soleil FB: The Sun's Military Awards - Best Reservist Category - Sub Lieutenant Imogen Napper Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
soleil FB: The Sun's Military Awards - Best Reservist - Winner - Lieutenant Commander Tracy MacSephney Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
MoD_RSS Awards open to recognise best practice in making regulation work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Boost for UK science with unlimited visa offer to world's brightest and best MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Treorchy crowned "UK's best" in the Great British High Street Awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Microchipping your pet is the best New Year’s resolution you could make MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A greener Christmas is the best present for the environment. MoD News 0
N best type of exercise for injured person Health & Fitness 12
slim Electric Cars Anyone Own One? Which is the best type to Buy? Current Affairs 21
O Post 16 and the best pathway Joining the Royal Navy 5
MoD_RSS DASA seeks best Scottish innovators at Highlands roadshow MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Competition launches to find best quality early years apps MoD News 0
MoD_RSS MHRA launches consultation on how to best engage patients and the public MoD News 0
MoD_RSS We need national debate on rare diseases to offer the best possible care MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: HMA Simon Collis send his best wishes in the occasion of Eid Al Fitr MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: KTP Best of the Best 2019 winners announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Joint statement on the UK-U.S. marine technology SME best practice exchange MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: London seminar: Offender to Entrepreneur Sharing best practice from the USA in enabling individuals to develop a crime free future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Glasgow medical firm showcases the best of UK life sciences sector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Intellectual Property Minister speaks of the importance of ensuring UK IP remains some of the best in the world MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM celebrates best of Wales at St David's Day reception MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Taking on the best: Ministry of Defence Police show sporting prowess MoD News 0
C Best time to arrive at FAT's? Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS Press release: Whitehall loses one of its best and brightest - Charles Farr MoD News 0
J Best ships to deploy on Joining the Royal Navy 12
MoD_RSS News story: London seminar: Offender to Entrepreneur Sharing best practice from the USA in enabling individuals to develop a crime free future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Making the best use of small contractors MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Making science work, together: how can we build the best possible future for science, research and innovation in the UK? MoD News 0