Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Berets in vehicles?

ETA

Midshipman
Hi, just wanted to know what the official stance on the wearing of berets in vehicles is and any appropriate references.

Many thanks in advance.

Guzzler

War Hero
ETA? What has beret wearing in vehicles got to do with Basque nationalism?

Anyway, no, I would never wear a beret in my car, or anywhere else for that matter.

ETA

Midshipman
Was just wondering if it was unacceptable during minivan transportation etc when in uniform, just curiosity

Guzzler

War Hero
Sorry, I'm a mong. For some reason I took ETA to be the title which it clearly isn't. Had a busy day.

gypquitacorrie

Lantern Swinger
Head Gear is generally only worn in vehicles when entering or leaving an establishment. However as already pointed out Standing Orders should have a reference to this if not I'm sure the Local Parade Ground Staff can advise.

yamyamdabber

War Hero
The only time that I have been told to wear a beret in a vehicle was at Mount Pleasant. Dont know if its a silly RAF thing but the SWO there seemed pretty serious about it when chasing you with his stick!

Hi, just wanted to know what the official stance on the wearing of berets in vehicles is and any appropriate references.

Many thanks in advance.[/QUOTE
Only with string of onions, horizontaly striped tee shirt,and if male, pencil moustache.:eek:ccasion8:

SEP86

War Hero
Head Gear is generally only worn in vehicles when entering or leaving an establishment. However as already pointed out Standing Orders should have a reference to this if not I'm sure the Local Parade Ground Staff can advise.

I'm with you on this one. Unfortunately I don't have the time these days to trawl the relevant publications for a more official answer.

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
The only time that I have been told to wear a beret in a vehicle was at Mount Pleasant. Dont know if its a silly RAF thing but the SWO there seemed pretty serious about it when chasing you with his stick!

I had the same problem and was spoken to many times about it. Not that it made a difference. I was also told (with the guys i was working with) to shave, get a haircut, stop wearing mixed dress and not to smoke while walking up the corridors. Crabs just don't get it.

TheCommunicator

Lantern Swinger
Big thing in the Army this is. Heard stories of MTOs tracking down drivers of vehicles that they spot when on leave on a motorway to bollock the driver.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I had the same problem and was spoken to many times about it. Not that it made a difference. I was also told (with the guys i was working with) to shave, get a haircut, stop wearing mixed dress and not to smoke while walking up the corridors. Crabs just don't get it.

It's a bummer when your dress clashes with your accessories........or so a bootie told me!

Many moons ago, a nameless sailor was driving an RN EOD red wing Land Rover back to HMS Drake from Cornwall via the Torpoint Ferry. As he was about to pass the main gate of HMS Raleigh at Antony, he asked the similarly nameless senior rate sitting next to him to take the wheel while he donned his beret. BIG MISTAKE on such a narrow road resulting in the Land Rover mounting the verge and rolling on to its roof in the adjacent field. Not a pretty sight!

I was the Boss who had to keep a straight face when they reported the incident to me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Navy News: "Big Screen Berets" The Corps 0
left_handed_sailor Arctic Convoy Berets History 4
M NEW BERETS FOR RN The Gash Barge 3
wet_blobby Would this work on les cerise berets? Diamond Lil's 3
B berets The Gash Barge 3
B berets The Gash Barge 2
S Caps or Berets? The Fleet 84
N Proper Caps Vs. Berets Diamond Lil's 22
R Berets with No3's The Fleet 50
MoD_RSS Portland Scrap Metal fined for keeping waste vehicles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 5StarS: developing a security framework for autonomous and connected vehicles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Army's construction vehicles boosted by £240 million contract MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armoured vehicles to test electric technology MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK loans Estonia four Jackal vehicles to support counter-terror mission in Mali MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Driving the change to greener vehicles: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rail replacement vehicles: extension of non-accessible period MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DASA awards £2m to fast-track autonomous vehicles in harsh conditions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Driving tests and MOTs for heavy vehicles suspended for up to 3 months to help tackle spread of coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Alexa, tell me about electric vehicles: Go Ultra Low app launches MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Highways England unveils pioneering automated cone laying vehicles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rail replacement vehicles: extension of non-accessible period to 30 April 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Response to the Department for Transport consultation on green number plates for ultra low emission vehicles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New system to ensure safety of self-driving vehicles ahead of their sale MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New high-tech Army reconaissance vehicles built in Merthyr Tydfil MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Cardiff’s new transport research network receives £1m UK Government cash boost to turn vehicles green MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Environment Agency seizes vehicles in Warwickshire MoD News 1
MoD_RSS Motorists urged to check vehicles before heading off on holiday MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Report 08/2019: Collision between road-rail vehicles at Cholmondeston MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Welsh projects given the green light to develop the latest battery technology for electric vehicles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New noise camera trial to crack down on illegal vehicles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New boost for UK ambition to lead the world in zero emissions vehicles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New technology for zero-emission vehicles: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government moves forward on advanced trials for self-driving vehicles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Roads designed for future vehicles: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New cyber security standard for self-driving vehicles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Future vehicles powered by low carbon tech: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK armoured vehicles arrive in Oman ahead of Exercise Saif Sareea 3 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: US and UK Armies lead the way in world-first for robotic vehicles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Mimicking ants to develop capability of autonomous vehicles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: £125 Million investment in new armoured vehicles sustains 40 skilled Scottish jobs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: £150M cannon contract signed for UK armoured fighting vehicles MoD News 0
Sgt Jobsearch Technical Support Advisor (Vehicles) - Nelson - £Competitive Salary The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
MoD_RSS News story: £50 million armoured vehicles fleet support contract awarded MoD News 0
Simon - Quest Magazine Lorry Drivers – Various Class Vehicles – Middlesex - Up to £40k The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
soleil Ch 4 News: "Royal Marine Vehicles Destroyed In 'Anarchist' Attack" RMR 4
FAAFLYNAVY Vehicles & Image Motoring 29
Topstop Military vehicles are tested to ensure your safety Motoring 5
MoD_RSS RAF Tornados destroy former regime vehicles in Libya Current Affairs 2
7 Vehicles on Aircraft carriers HMS Hermes and Invincible History 53
trelawney126 New Ridgback Vehicles Another Delay Current Affairs 2