Berets in vehicles?

Discussion in 'SCC and URNU' started by ETA, Oct 30, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ETA

Hi, just wanted to know what the official stance on the wearing of berets in vehicles is and any appropriate references.

Many thanks in advance.
  2. ETA? What has beret wearing in vehicles got to do with Basque nationalism?

Anyway, no, I would never wear a beret in my car, or anywhere else for that matter.
  3. ETA

Was just wondering if it was unacceptable during minivan transportation etc when in uniform, just curiosity
  4. Sorry, I'm a mong. For some reason I took ETA to be the title which it clearly isn't. Had a busy day.
  5. Don't wear it and see what happens...simples
  6. **** that! That's what ponogs do. 17 hours in a beret (where driving regs allow!).
  7. Head Gear is generally only worn in vehicles when entering or leaving an establishment. However as already pointed out Standing Orders should have a reference to this if not I'm sure the Local Parade Ground Staff can advise.
  8. The only time that I have been told to wear a beret in a vehicle was at Mount Pleasant. Dont know if its a silly RAF thing but the SWO there seemed pretty serious about it when chasing you with his stick!
  10. I'm with you on this one. Unfortunately I don't have the time these days to trawl the relevant publications for a more official answer.
  11. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I had the same problem and was spoken to many times about it. Not that it made a difference. I was also told (with the guys i was working with) to shave, get a haircut, stop wearing mixed dress and not to smoke while walking up the corridors. Crabs just don't get it.
  12. Big thing in the Army this is. Heard stories of MTOs tracking down drivers of vehicles that they spot when on leave on a motorway to bollock the driver.
  13. It's a bummer when your dress clashes with your accessories........or so a bootie told me!
  14. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Apparantly my heels were too high. That's the last time i borrow footwear off a Royal.
  15. Many moons ago, a nameless sailor was driving an RN EOD red wing Land Rover back to HMS Drake from Cornwall via the Torpoint Ferry. As he was about to pass the main gate of HMS Raleigh at Antony, he asked the similarly nameless senior rate sitting next to him to take the wheel while he donned his beret. BIG MISTAKE on such a narrow road resulting in the Land Rover mounting the verge and rolling on to its roof in the adjacent field. Not a pretty sight!

I was the Boss who had to keep a straight face when they reported the incident to me.
    • Like Like x 1