Beneath Hill 60

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Scouse_Castaway, Oct 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Got this on DVD the other day and watched it last night. Was good for distracting me for a while from my application worries.

Following the exploits of Aussie miners during WW1 on the Western Front, the film focuses on the experiences of Captain Oliver Woodward MC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Woodward and culminates in the cataclysmic detonation of the mines that had been dug beneath the German position of Hill 60 during the Battle of Messines.

The film is gritty and at times very moving. The courage and tenacity of the miners during WW1 is vividly depicted and this is a film well worth watching

4 out of 5 methinks and has biiiiiiiiiiig bangs :)

2. I thought this would be a thread about car parking in south Yard.

3. Mind-boggling stuff. From a book I'm writing:

4. Yup, apparently until the 1947 Heligoland detonations, the Explosion was the most powerful non nuclear planned explosion in history. Astonishing really.

5. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

One of the remaining 2 was detonated by lightning in 1955, while the other remains in place.... wouldn't like to be the owner of that piece of real estate!

6. Haha, lighting strikes and half your farm goes to the moon..........reckon he/she is praying to every god around that Lightning doesnt strike twice

7. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Apparently current owner is on record as saying he either wants to be directly on top of the mine or a very long way away if it blows.

8. Good film.
    Saw some of the craters left by mines on the Somme, Hawthorne Ridge and Lochnagar, in a tour of the Battlefield in '99, awe inspiring.

9. SC

I've been to Hill 60.

Just FYI, Hill 60 is where the first Victoria Cross to a Officer in the Territorial Army was awarded, to 2nd Lieutenant Geoffrey Woolley:

"For most conspicuous bravery on "Hill 60" during the night of 20th–21st April, 1915.

Although the only officer on the hill at the time, and with very few men, he successfully resisted all attacks on his trench, and continued throwing bombs and encouraging his men until relieved. His trench during all this time was being heavily shelled and bombed and was subjected to heavy machine gun fire by the enemy".

If I remember correctly, on another day, 4 Victoria Crosses were awarded in one single day to men fighting on Hill 60.

By the way, if you ever want to visit this area, I can recommend the most superb guide. You would like him.

By the way, this might interest you:

http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/great-war-at-sea-in-air/68-ac-tions/360-royal-navy.html

10. Il have a look. Thanks Sol. Im planning to visit the Menin Gate and have a wander round the various Battlefields etc sometime next year. Going to rope a friend of mine with a comfy car into coming along :)

Relative of mine served on the Western Front and it'd be nice to see the places he went and maybe give me a new perspective on the things he wrote in his diary out there in secret

11. Did that a couple of years ago Scouse, stayed just outside Ypre for a week and did all the battlefields, cemetaries (there's loads of small ones at practically every village as well as the more well known ones) and trenches. There's a preserved British trench line just outside Ypre, Don't forget the German Langmarck cemetary. I would also suggest a visit to Aeroplane Cemetary which isn't far away. It's where "In Flanders Fields" was written plus where the grave of a British 15 yr old soldier is laid to rest.

I'v got a bit of interest in the area as my grandad fought at Ypres (he survived the war obviously)

12. My father was there when the Lochnagar mine was blown on 1st July 1916. Ten minutes later he was “over the top†and advancing with his battalion, the 26th Northumberland Fusiliers (3rd Tyneside Irish) through machine gun and shellfire.
    He was wounded by shrapnel and blown unconscious into a shell hole, where the chalky mud sealed the wound in his neck. He was just 16 years old at the time.

13. WreckerL, You mean Essex Farm Cemetery, Ieper.

Essex Farm Advanced Dressing Station (ADS) is believed to be the place in May 1915 where the Canadian Army Doctor Major John McCrae composed his famous poem 'In Flanders Fields'.
    Rifleman Valentine Joe Strudwick, number 5750, 8th Battalion The Rifle Brigade, was aged 15 when he died on 14th January 1916. He is buried at Essex Farm.

SP.

14. Your right SP, I do :oops: Got me cemetaries mixed up, note to self...check before posting.

Edited to add that it's only a small cemetary as it's between the canal and the main road but the bunkers used as the ADS are still there.

15. I too thought this was a car park tale, however I must correct you, Hill 60 car park is not in South Yard it is in Morice Yard :wink: