Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bell's Palsy - Medical

I am in the first stages of my Royal Navy officer as a HM Officer. Having just sat my Recruit Test and SIFT Interview, I went on my acquaint and absolutely loved it. The next stage I understand is the medical tests, including the fitness and eye tests.

I was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy more than four years ago. It was academically diagnosed as being caused by glandular fever while I was at university and has resulted in damage to my facial nerves on my right-hand side. While at the time it took six months to recover and get back to normal, I am now fit and healthy and unaffected by it other than some asymmetry to my smile and residual weakness to my facial nerves on that side of my face.

I have no doubt that I am physically able to complete the training, otherwise I would not have applied. I wonder, however, whether this will hinder my application?

Any advice or indication would be grateful received. Each step of the process so far has inspired me and I am even more enthusiastic now than I was before. It would be incredibly disappointing at this point, so I would prefer to mentally steel myself for the possibility if that may be likely.

Thank you in advance.

slim

War Hero
I have suffered with Bells Palsy three times now. The second time that it occurred was in my final couple of months in the RN, I must admit that it did affect me when it came to job interviews. However each time the problem has cleared up almost completely though it has left me with a slight weakening in the face mussels on the right side. Normally this is hardly noticeable, however if I over indulge in the booze my wife notices immediately.:)
Keep doing the facial exercises you should have been given to build up the face muscles, steroids may also help, have a word with the doc!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
cheddarman Ships Bell Submariners 7
MoD_RSS AAIB Report: Bell 429 GlobalRanger, un-commanded yaw pedal movement and trim runaway MoD News 0
Bad CO HMS Arrow - Anyone Know Where the Ship's Bell Is? History 17
MoD_RSS Life Sciences and UK's future role: Sir John Bell delivers MHRA annual lecture MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bell from American ship destroyed in Second World War going home MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Professor Keith Bell appointed to Committee on Climate Change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Uk gifts historic SS Mendi Bell from WW1 to South Africa MoD News 0
H My name on HMS illustrious bell Nearest & Dearest 6
S Searching for a ship's bell Nearest & Dearest 5
B A Ships Bell HMS Herald (H138) History 7
M christened in a ships bell History 14
soleil L'pool Echo: "Special Dedication Ceremony For Those Christened w. HMS Liverpool Bell" The Fleet 0
A Ships bell Blogs 0
A HMS Devonshire Ships bell The Fleet 9
trelawney126 HMS Hood. Search for her Bell. History 17
soleil Eipley & Heanor News: "Submarine Bell Back To Generous Alfreton" Submariners 0
C Did anyone give Tetley's a Bell??? Social & Reunions 19
soleil BBC Lincolnshire: "HMS Boston Bell Dedicated To St Botolph's Church" History 0
jesse Hey old and bold does"President Boats" ring a bell for you? Diamond Lil's 0
soleil Patriot News (USA): Welcome Planned For Return Of Campbeltown Namesake's Ship's Bell The Fleet 7
soleil St Helen's Reporter: "History In The Making" - HMS Protector's Bell Is Cast The Fleet 0
soleil Medway Messenger: "HMS Chatham Bell Coming Home" The Fleet 0
ex_wasp_L2 The New Bell Ringer Miscellaneous 0
F HMS Whitby - Ship's Bell History 3
O Ships Bell History 44
Rumrat Why no blackheads on your bell end. Diamond Lil's 24
soleil York: "RN Engineer's daughter christened in HMS York bell" The Fleet 3
WhiteRose For Whom The Bell Tolls Current Affairs 4
soleil Suffolk paper reports Martin Bell as quoting from Rum Ration The Quarterdeck 6
RonJeremy Giant Bell End on roof Diamond Lil's 13
frayedknotarts A new bell aboard... tradition? History 3
Seaweed Stolen bell of the Telemachus returned to its owners Submariners 2
M Medical Confusion Joining the Royal Navy 15
A Medical Eligabillity Joining the Royal Navy 16
S Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Deputy Chief Medical Officer Professor Jonathan Van-Tam's Op-Ed MoD News 0
C Medical Assistant Role Joining the Royal Navy 5
MoD_RSS Emerging Canadian leaders in the medical field secure UK Government's Chevening Scholarship MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Update from the UK Chief Medical Officers on the COVID-19 alert level MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chief Scientific Advisor and Chief Medical Officer briefing on coronavirus (COVID-19): 21 September 2020 MoD News 0
B Captia medical Joining the Royal Navy 3
P Medical Appeals waiting time Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
R Medical questionnaire, best practice. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Government working with midwives, medical experts, and academics to investigate BAME maternal mortality MoD News 0
M Aircraft controller aircrew medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
P Medical History of Opiate Dependance Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
R Medical - Irritation in ears Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Statement from the UK Chief Medical Officers on schools and childcare reopening MoD News 0
L MH Susceptible -Medical (Suxamethonium) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
K Medical Joining the Royal Navy 4