Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Belgian Shore Force

Repulse

Badgeman
Shipmates. (oh dear).
I have yet another mystery surrounding the old family. The father of the last chap I posted, so my Great Grandfather who was born in Folkestone in 1863 and died in Chartham asylum (in Kent) in Nov 1914 has 'Foreman in the Belgian Shore Force' on his record. I have been searching for years to find out what it was. I've tried the WWI forum but to no avail. Any thoughts would be great!

Attachments

• badge.jpg
    badge.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 100

MG Maniac

War Hero
Only reference I can find is on THE DOVER WAR MEMORIAL PROJECT - World War One - Casualties on the Town Memorial - Surnames B

J R Back was also on the Belgium Shore Force. Not sure if it was part of the Live Bait Squaldron mentioned in the above http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7th_Cruiser_Squadron_(United_Kingdom)

As it was patrolling the northern europe coast could be another name for it??????? Some interesting thoughts here

History of the Great War - Royal Naval Operations, Volume 2 by Sir Julian Corbett

Best I can do

MGM

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Only officers in the Navy List. The Live Bait squadron was a regular cruiser squadron of the RN. The uniform in the picture is NOT RN. There's three pieces of un-help - sorry! As to back (above) I note he was a merchant seaman in 1901 and then in the Belgian Shore Force (whatever that was) in 1911. Also an AB RNR (because, i suppose, as a merchant seaman he received some sort of bounty - every little helps ) and therefore pulled in to the RN on mobilisation in August (or even July) 1914.

Repulse

Badgeman
Thanks folks. The only other thought IO had was whether Belgian Shore Force was the equivalent of longshoremen or something ...? Weird one, isn't it.

nobby0919

Lantern Swinger
Worth trying a chap called Johnny Geldhof, his main interest is the Royal Navy Section Belge of WW2, but he might be able to help.
johnny.geldhof17atyucom.be
replace at with the usual @

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
As above the BSF seems to pre-date WW1 .. I'm wondering if it could be some form of Belgian national Coastguard? BSF would be a translation..

soleil

War Hero
Only officers in the Navy List.

Yes, I omitted to say that, was aiming for brevity as I was trying to finish my coffee, put my coat on and get out of the door while typing!

Although the Navy List lists Officers, it also has units and bases in it. When I was researching a question RR was asked a few months ago about the bases listed on a WWII service record, I read through all the Navy List volumes from 1938 - 1952 and was interested to see listed the various bases I was looking for, most now long gone. I was pondering on the possibility that the relevant Navy Lists for the period we are looking at in this thread might have a mention of a Belgian Shore Force, as it must have had Officers attached to it and while the subject of the thread wouldn't be listed by name, it would at least allow us to confirm the existence of the unit if we could see it mentioned. I may well have the chance to look at the Navy List for the pre-WWI years in the next few days, so will have a browse to see if any Officers were listed as attached to anything "Belgian".

Repulse, just as a matter of interest, what is listed as this gentleman's occupation on the 1911 census?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil E. Standard: "Belgian Frigate Brings Flanders Soil To London For Memorial" History 0
TeddyT Belgian spy games Current Affairs 1
Gombear The Belgian Bloke Current Affairs 20
L Sinking of the Belgian SS LEOPOLDVILLE History 0
T Shore based branch Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
R Pilot shore life, sea life and family life Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
B shore establishments in WW2 The Quarterdeck 6
soleil Refinery 29: "Money Diary - A Submariner On £43k In Her Last Week On Shore For Months" Submariners 17
soleil D. Mail: "Royal Marines Stage Dramatic Landing On Scottish Shore" The Corps 1
Klanky67 Shore leave whilst alongside in the UK RFA 16
BillyNoMates Sick on Shore (in an all inclusive). Diamond Lil's 5
P After shore training... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS News story: Shutdown of shore test facility reactor MoD News 0
T Shore accomodation Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
soleil Bristol Post: "You're Shore To Sea Benefits Being A Navy Reservist" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 1
FunkyJunky What entitlement to be shore side within last 12 months? The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 15
C SHORE time prior to discharge after 22 year + Finance & Pensions 7
soleil Guide And Gazette: "Did You Serve At Shore Base HMS Collingwood?" Bases / Shore Est 4
WreckerL Shore base closures The Quarterdeck 83
B What does "released to shore in Class A" mean? The Quarterdeck 5
G MCM's Sea/shore ratio The Fleet 3
J Donibristle RNAS pics [ sorry cross-posted in shore bases ] History 1
Alfacharlie Warning Discharge Shore Diamond Lil's 8
B SHORE LEAVE Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
D SEA TIME OR SHORE BASED??? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
K Sea-to-shore ratio The Quarterdeck 5
Good_CO Known Error - vanishing "shore est" forum Site Issues 1
brothers shore patrol Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Clouseau Relevant and Current Issues No.1 - TDBC & Shore billets Bases / Shore Est 34
Harry_off_the_Hermes Royal Navy sailor disembarks on shore leave in Plymouth History 14
Streaky Shore to Sea Diamond Lil's 1
higthepig Shore Patrol. Diamond Lil's 9
MoD_RSS Exciting roles at Dstl as part of the new National Cyber Force MoD News 0
MoD_RSS National Cyber Force Transforms country's cyber capabilities to protect UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Border Force seize 3.2 million cigarettes at Dover MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Animal medicines seizure notice: Border Force, Heathrow Airport (2) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Animal medicines seizure notice: Border Force, East Midlands Airport MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Border Force in Northern Ireland seize more than 2 tonnes of black market tobacco MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Animal medicines seizure notice: Border Force, Heathrow Airport MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Elephant tusks seized by Border Force during international operation against wildlife crime MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK and France able to deploy a 10,000 strong joint military force in response to shared threats MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Border Force seize 10 million black market cigarettes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Border Force seizes 30 kilos of cocaine at Dover MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A Force for good business MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New legal duty to self-isolate comes into force today MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Royal Air Force A400M showcased in Kazakhstan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ex-BT boss leads task force to attract new vendors to UK telecoms MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Border Force stop £15 million of cocaine hitting streets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS La Francophonie and its ability to serve as a global force for good MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Police super-complaints: force response to police perpetrated domestic abuse MoD News 0